September 17, 2019, 09:18:32 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 461997 times)

August 14, 2018, 12:23:21 AM
Reply #45

van der Meyde

Original PE was just a money thing wasnít it?

Was only 2 years before that we had some sub 20,000 league gates.

So while yes, I agree it was short sighted I can also see why a conservative approach was taken.
A lack of money might excuse the initial build/low capacity.

My understanding is that it wasn't built/designed in such a way that future expansion was factored into the designs though. That's not something that money excuses really.

December 21, 2018, 12:37:16 AM
Reply #46

van der Meyde

Iím not advocating 60k and empty seats.

Iím saying all the forward thinking clubs in the country are aiming for stadia that facilitates those sort of numbers and all the amenities they entail. For the past two and half years weíve been hearing about how we need to bridge this divide, well part of that is portraying ourselves as as close to equals to them off the pitch as possible. This still leaves us lagging massively behind and who knows where these other clubs will be in 4/5 years when we get into BMD.

Even Wolves, a club just up from years in the championship, are planning to have a 50k+capacity stadium soon.

I've been told by someone pretty close to this that once you go over 52k, the costs increase exponentially. Not just on a structural level with the stadium, but the work (and negotiations with eg HE) needed to be done to disperse 52k becomes much more difficult too.

It's a case of a 52k seater there or having to do it elsewhere. The club think the profile of that site is worth it. Though for what it's worth, I'm told there's an opportunity to increase capacity a bit with safe standing.

December 21, 2018, 06:23:07 AM
Reply #47

van der Meyde

Those problems with EH and crowd dispersal arenít going to go away in the future though are they. In fact if the area gets developed like Peel having been saying gaining planning permission to increase the capacity in the future will only be tougher.
No, you're right, it's kick it down the road.

Fact remains that it's not currently affordable for us to build a substantially larger stadium on that particular site.

The merits of a 52k seater on the docks vs a 55k or a 60k seater elsewhere is a different argument.

July 26, 2019, 04:27:37 PM
Reply #48

van der Meyde

I personally took pure pelters when I was part of KEIOC and when I was fighting against the Kirkby move.
You all deserve a lot of credit, Si.

There's at least one prominent internet personality with a YouTube channel keeping their yes vote for Kirkby secret too. ;)

July 26, 2019, 08:37:34 PM
Reply #49

van der Meyde

Reckon they might look in to something like shuttle buses from County Road to BMD so people can still bevvy in their regular boozers and also maintain the business those pubs rely on?
I believe The Brick is. Pubs on Dale St are too.

July 26, 2019, 08:38:27 PM
Reply #50

van der Meyde

Do we think weíll start seeing some boozers pop up round Bramley Moore?

Theres a few abandoned pubs round there like.
They've pretty much all been well bought up now.