September 15, 2019, 05:25:01 PM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 461329 times)

June 30, 2019, 06:52:27 PM
Reply #255

Alanvideo

Some detail on the plans for the surrounds including the pumping tower:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hope-bring-bramley-moore-16494704
..................I think we're going to get a few snippets like this between now and the 26th July.
We are special ,we are Everton.

June 30, 2019, 09:12:20 PM
Reply #256

Alanvideo

Some detail on the plans for the surrounds including the pumping tower:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hope-bring-bramley-moore-16494704
...........just posting this current pic for those who don't know the area. This is just opposite Metro Tyres .Lots of new tarmac here now and new kerbs for people to trip over.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:22:47 PM by Alanvideo »

June 30, 2019, 10:40:41 PM
Reply #257

Alanvideo

Slightly off topic but this is the former accumulator tower at Canada Dock ,demolished c.1930. I guess there was a line of these towers to provide hydraulic power to service machinery on the docks.

July 02, 2019, 02:24:04 PM
Reply #258

Alanvideo

If this is the way they are with BMD what about Goodison? Is that not of historic value ? The first grandstand etc. I think Mies will have this in hand
...............the club have got this covered but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere  . A Certificate of Immunity (from listing ) was issued in March this year.
I dare say some of the Leitch ironwork could be retained for use in a new build at Goodison or BMD.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1462465

July 02, 2019, 08:15:44 PM
Reply #259

Alanvideo

Are they allowed to do 'new' leitch pattens?

Eg could bramley Moore have it around the top or whatever, or is there some like design rule about it being original archies only
................there are such things as design patents and Leitch himself patented a form of crush barrier used on terracing. I can't find any record of the criss-cross ironwork being patented though.  I dare say Meis will want to reference Leitch in some way and maybe even include some original ironwork somewhere on site.

July 02, 2019, 10:01:56 PM
Reply #260

Alanvideo

It's silly but it will make me feel a lot better if the new ground has iron work in and around it. I don't want it too polished.

Some poet once said goodison was like being inside the belly of a pirate ship, creaking wood and groaning iron and all that.. I know it will be hard to keep that feeling but where possible I hope we can.
......................I know what you mean  , going ' below decks ' in the Bullens is a bit like that.
I'm hoping for something similar to this but I know a lot of people want a more modern look.

July 02, 2019, 10:58:33 PM
Reply #261

Alanvideo

I am so excited by the project. There is an opportunity to do something pretty special with the BMD site given all the heritage by the docks. There are some fantastic buildings that can be brought up to date.

A great example of docks regeneration is in Cape Town by the V&A waterfront. There is a wonderful hotel there called The Silo, which was the elevator of an old Grain Silo complex. Just shows what can be done with these sorts of buildings.
........................I'm aware of this hotel from a previous article. It's not that old (1920 ) but been redesigned in a very imaginative way.

July 03, 2019, 02:35:05 PM
Reply #262

Alanvideo

Aaah, so the bullens is the like the "black hole" for Raiders fans. Sticking with the pirate theme and all.  ;)
........................those pesky kopites who go in the away section have been known to compare the Bullens to the Mary Rose.  :hmph:

July 03, 2019, 10:48:17 PM
Reply #263

Alanvideo

Is Telford on your list? That's on there.
..............the Ironbridge Gorge is a very interesting  place  if you like that kind of thing. Not everyone's idea of a day out like ! It earned its UNESCO status over a 30 year period and I'm sure it has increased visitor numbers. 
Liverpool however has no need to bow down to UNESCO and should call their bluff.

July 07, 2019, 06:54:36 PM
Reply #264

Alanvideo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/articles/liverpool-waters-world-heritage-status/amp/

Not sure if already been posted, but worth a read, this. Interested in this bit:

'Only one location has lost its World Heritage status since 1972, when the concept was established: the German city of Dresden. That decision was made after the construction of a controversial £156m bridge across the Elbe in 2013.

Itís very hard to judge the impact it had on tourism, given the myriad factors involved, but Dresden did report a five per cent fall in domestic tourism in 2015. Evidence suggested overseas visits, however, remained stable.'

Even if that 5% drop in domestic tourism in 2015 was directly caused by the status loss, a quick Google search suggests that Dresden's been doing very well since then:

https://www.tourism-review.com/tourism-in-dresden-had-successful-season-news10607

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but even if you can provide a quick example to the 'uhhhh what about tourism' trolls, it's worth a go trying to beat them with logic. Some of it might even stick.

......................is it really necessary to describe anyone who mentions tourism as a 'troll ' ?

I don't think anyone has said Liverpool would lose out if the WHO listing was removed and we all know by now that UNESCO aren't the planning authority ,they can only comment on planning applications. 
Reading between the lines it seems as if LCC are quite prepared to risk losing the status.

July 11, 2019, 02:34:15 AM
Reply #265

Alanvideo

I agree with you 100% here. I just get frustrated when you look at what the site is now, who's interested in  it and how many visitors it currently gets.

Surely anybody wanting to develop the site and bring visitors in is a good thing?

You just say "Don't touch that, restore that, that has to stay, that can go, show me your plans to preserve the history for future generations." And then, a few compromises aside, everyone should win.

It's these fucking kopites who pick up on the fact it's a world heritage site and then without even knowing what it is - try to fuck us with it. Makes my blood boil.
..............yes I agree ,kopites will try anything to derail our plans.
We should remember though that BMD is just a small part of the heritage area. Peel Holdings had a 30 year plan to develop the northern docks but the possibility of a stadium has jump started the whole scheme. UNESCO haven't yet passed any comment on the stadium but no doubt will have their say when the images come into the public domain later this month.
However ,it would be naive to think they haven't already had sight of Meis's plans.   I would hope that when   the planning application goes in there will be broad agreement on most aspects of the stadium.

July 11, 2019, 04:02:03 PM
Reply #266

Alanvideo

When are the images gonna be released?
..............from the Peoples Project website

<<<  Everton Football Clubís plans for a new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock and a community-led legacy project at Goodison Park will take a major step forward with the launch of a second widescale public consultation on the proposals.

The consultation, which will run between 26 July and 25 August, will seek the views of members of the public on the latest design concepts for a state-of-the-art waterfront stadium, demonstrating how the Club will address the historic context of the Bramley-Moore Dock site and outline plans for the future of Goodison Park. Views from people on transport, accessibility and environmental sustainability will also be sought.

This is the second stage of a formal process and feedback from this consultation will be included in the planning applications for both sites, which are on track to be submitted before the end of the year  >>>

July 12, 2019, 03:19:33 PM
Reply #267

Alanvideo

Report says the redevelopment of Bramley Moore and Goodison could be worth almost £800m in social benefits to north Liverpool over 10 years.

("But t0ur15/\/\...")

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-evertons-new-stadium-can-16569691
.........................2 weeks today we should see some images and the forum will be packed. Some people will be content and others will be in full fume mode. Can't wait  :titanic:

July 12, 2019, 11:58:34 PM
Reply #268

Alanvideo

A party from Merseyside Civic Society was shown round BMD earlier this week . I understand the society which has many Blues among its numbers is broadly supportive of the scheme and ,like many of us ,wants to see a balance between new design and preserving elements of the history of the city's past.
This is another example of the club's consultation policy ,trying to get everyone onside before a planning application is submitted. 

July 16, 2019, 12:07:02 AM
Reply #269

Alanvideo