August 25, 2019, 12:50:16 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 452880 times)

February 09, 2017, 03:54:08 PM
Reply #720

Simon Paul

Administrator
how hard would it be to "wrap" the stadium in a sloping ramp that goes over the wall and slopes down the other side in a similar curve that "wraps" around other stuff?

would make quite a cool structure and give plenty of scope to have statues etc on it as the main walkway

or maybe we could make it like Wembley?

fans go in at a higher level than services / teams / employees so that access at road level isn't a problem because fans don't use that entrance to the ground - incorporate a massive ramp like Wembley Way from the south of the site and a smaller one from the north and job's a good 'un (we're billionaires like, so money shouldn't be an issue!)

February 09, 2017, 04:16:35 PM
Reply #721

Alanvideo

how hard would it be to "wrap" the stadium in a sloping ramp that goes over the wall and slopes down the other side in a similar curve that "wraps" around other stuff?

would make quite a cool structure and give plenty of scope to have statues etc on it as the main walkway

or maybe we could make it like Wembley?

fans go in at a higher level than services / teams / employees so that access at road level isn't a problem because fans don't use that entrance to the ground - incorporate a massive ramp like Wembley Way from the south of the site and a smaller one from the north and job's a good 'un (we're billionaires like, so money shouldn't be an issue!)
.................I was thinking about the Wembley example last night ,in fact I looked at Wembley on Google Earth. The idea of a ' flyover ' walkway to get fans across the road and the dock wall at the same time might be considered.
We are special ,we are Everton.

February 09, 2017, 04:18:33 PM
Reply #722

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
.................I was thinking about the Wembley example last night ,in fact I looked at Wembley on Google Earth. The idea of a ' flyover ' walkway to get fans across the road and the dock wall at the same time might be considered.

Agreed, which one of us is going to tell the architect ?

February 09, 2017, 04:25:36 PM
Reply #723

Simon Paul

Administrator
Agreed, which one of us is going to tell the architect ?

he probably already knows to be honest, I reckon he's pretty smart

but as it has an effect on our matchgoing experience, it's probably alright for us to talk about stuff between ourselves and ponder what might be done on a new Everton stadium

we've got a blank canvas at Bramley Moore Dock, it might not be a regular shape or have straight, open edges, but we've got an opportunity to do something very exciting with a new stadium and it's refreshing to talk about stuff like this in a positive light, rather than point out the problems with our last stadium plan that got beyond the "idea" stage and got into some actual plans on paper.

February 09, 2017, 05:21:38 PM
Reply #724

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
They're pretty steep walls. You'd have to empty out any businesses between Regent Road & Fulton Street.

But as that currently looks like this:

I wouldn't be adverse to that haha.

In fact, clearing every other building out up until the Tai Pan would (from Walter Street to Boundary Street) is something i would whole-heartedly recommend to anybody asking.
(Except for the, you know, potential loss of jobs for the guys around there)

February 09, 2017, 05:39:43 PM
Reply #725

Macca77

Keep your filthy paws off Terry's Timber

February 09, 2017, 06:50:01 PM
Reply #726

Hawkandro

Sort of. To the south we have Nelson dock. (where the arrow is pointing in the second pic of my first post today).
That WILL be a big plaza type place.
Problem is that it's also enclosed by the dockwall - to it's south is another dock that turns into a canal so is covered by a bridge. No entry that way.

To the north is a half tide dock and a working dockside (I think Wellington dock has been filled in now). But that wall stretches a long way north. There are plenty of gates and holes (in fact, there is a repaired part of the wall just to the north now:

(that gate in the background is the the green cross from earlier).

But it would start becoming financially unsound to buy/renovate longer and longer 'water-side-of-the-wall' pathways stretching off.

(Maybe the best thing we could do as Evertonians is to get our HGV licences and have 'accidents at strategic points in this wall.

Bet this is why it is taking so long. Dan Meis is just sat there with 9,000 variations of the approach; all with a shitting great wall in the middle he cannot get rid of.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

February 09, 2017, 07:20:01 PM
Reply #727

Macca77

He can take as long as he wants, can't rush perfection now can he

February 09, 2017, 07:23:52 PM
Reply #728

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I think the wall sounds like a design issue rather than anything major. I think certain structures on the wall will have to be kept, but the majority will be allowed to amended in some way, or even used as a support.

From Wikipedia (The fountain of all knowledge)

In England and Wales, the management of listed buildings is the responsibility of local planning authorities and the Department for Communities and Local Government (i.e., not DCMS, which originally listed the building). There is a general principle that listed buildings are put to 'appropriate and viable use' and recognition that this may involve the re-use and modification of the building.[10] However, listed buildings cannot be modified without first obtaining Listed Building Consent through the relevant local planning authority.[37]

All in all, the wall would certainly be put to good use, but modified in the way that suits the stadium's needs.

February 09, 2017, 07:26:26 PM
Reply #729

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting this.

Would putting in similar gates, with similar stone etc be a problem?

February 09, 2017, 07:28:49 PM
Reply #730

Simon Paul

Administrator
Interesting this.

Would putting in similar gates, with similar stone etc be a problem?

probably not

"listed" doesn't mean you can't do anything, it just means you have to do it properly and in a way that is sympathetic to the original architecture - and the decision is also based on the council, who thankfully proper love Everton

February 09, 2017, 07:33:55 PM
Reply #731

MmmblueBernard

He can take as long as he wants, can't rush perfection now can he

That's my approach to DIY at home and why I've not finished anything I've started!
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

February 09, 2017, 07:37:45 PM
Reply #732

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Can we do a "Kevin De Bruyne" and go under the wall?
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

February 09, 2017, 07:40:06 PM
Reply #733

Ross

Isn't the main obstacle regarding the walls that they're part of the reason the city has world heritage status rather than them simply being a "listed" structure.

Tampering with them in any way may mean the status is removed and I doubt the council would accommodate plans that involve that sort of risk given the amount of money having world heritage status must bring into the area.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 09, 2017, 07:42:49 PM
Reply #734

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
probably not

"listed" doesn't mean you can't do anything, it just means you have to do it properly and in a way that is sympathetic to the original architecture - and the decision is also based on the council, who thankfully proper love Everton

sort of.
The council grant planning permissions.
If there are any formal objections from sufficient people (or a recognised body) then it gets called into central government.

I Gaurantee that EH & CABE will go nuts over any plans to play about with the wall.

In a rare case of something shit working out for you though, a tory government couoldn't give a shit about people like unesco/cabe/eh so would greenlight it anyway.
If Corbyn fucks off and Labour get's it's act together before this planning permission then it may be a struggle.

I feel like crying when i think what these companies have done to Liverpool Waters' original plans based on buried dock walls.

@Ross , the world heritage site doesnt stretch that far north. It's to around about Princess dock