October 22, 2019, 01:02:16 AM

Author Topic: [News]Bramley Moore Dock update  (Read 473958 times)

July 09, 2019, 07:47:51 PM
Reply #75

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting how our views are formed because we have a vested interest.
UNESCO ridiculed, everything brought down to money through tourism and regeneration etc.
Where's the concern about preserving the city's / country's history?
Both sides of the argument are important so why not more discussion about how history is balanced with the needs of modern life? This thread rather reinforces the view many people, have of PL football clubs - selfish, greedy and a f**k you attitude to anything that we don't like.
One of the things that lifts our club above so many others is our commitment to 'community'  - it's a shame it isn't reflected more by our fans in threads like this
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

July 09, 2019, 08:18:56 PM
Reply #76

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I've been calling for heritage bodies to go fuck themselves since Alsop and his cloud. (Pic of the cloud included)

If they had been about 112 years ago they would have campaigned about proposals for the Liver building and done their best to stop that being built on the historically important Pier Head.

Today's progress is tomorrows heritage and regeneration should not be stifled due non-unique, hidden-from-view infrastructure.
So,  as I said, I wonder why we don't look at how it's balanced rather than just dismissing the other side of the argument. History is important, so is progress.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

July 09, 2019, 08:26:17 PM
Reply #77

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I feel it's important that their view is always represented and that's it. I'm not all for development companies doing what they want but in this particular case, I believe Peel Group and Everton have already done more than enough compromising. Before Everton were involved Peel Group had already downsized many of the developments partly due to objections put forward by UNESCO.
And hopefully when the plans are revealed there is a commitment to a great stadium and to the city's heritage. I'd be surprised if the club haven't put that aspect well up the priority list otherwise just build one of those horrid flatpack stadiums and don't commission Dan Meiss to design it?

July 10, 2019, 05:44:38 AM
Reply #78

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I've been vocal about progress on this thread. I also care about heritage and history a great deal.

Have I thrown my principles away for personal gain and perceived financial benefits?

Nope.

The reason I am totally comfortable with this is specific to the site. Currently it serves no benefit, is part of no tourism, has no visitors and zero education is carried out at the site.

My preference is that we turn the site into somewhere that has thousands and thousands of visitors each week AND ALSO helps educate those visitors on the history of the site.

If no one sees it - who are we preserving it for?
That's all I'm asking - development of our site also helps to preserve some of the history for future generations to see. There is room to respect all views and accommodate some of everything.

July 11, 2019, 02:18:31 AM
Reply #79

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with you 100% here. I just get frustrated when you look at what the site is now, who's interested in  it and how many visitors it currently gets.

Surely anybody wanting to develop the site and bring visitors in is a good thing?

You just say "Don't touch that, restore that, that has to stay, that can go, show me your plans to preserve the history for future generations." And then, a few compromises aside, everyone should win.

It's these fucking kopites who pick up on the fact it's a world heritage site and then without even knowing what it is - try to fuck us with it. Makes my blood boil.
It's a slow business - they still haven't put a roof on that place at the top of the hill in Athens yet and that's on their list as well.

July 12, 2019, 09:46:09 PM
Reply #80

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
It's what keeps forums alive!!!

July 25, 2019, 07:35:26 PM
Reply #81

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
We've received another email to say we need ID to get in and all phones to be switched off at 6.0pm so for those not going any sense of occasion would appear to be beet experienced at 7.0pm online.
As TheRam says don't spoil it for yourselves by looking at unreliable tweets.
Presumably you will all have the 'hard' info before we get home but I'll still update on here with any question and answer stuff that may not be covered.  Assuming a 7.30ish finish we'll be home about 9.30.
Takeaway, glass of wine then type! So, about 11.0ish depending on what is said.

July 26, 2019, 03:50:55 AM
Reply #82

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Just got back and from a very quick look on line you probably know everything we learned at the launch.
The whole evening was excellent.
What may not be online is the 'conversation' that explained various aspects.
1. Goodison. You can see what is going to be there and most of it directly addresses the needs of a deprived community. The centre circle will be preserved as a grassed area and playground. The 'social value' of the Goodison end of the scheme  (don't know how this is calculated) is expected to be 800m over 10 years. It is expected to regenerate the County Rd area.
2. BMD Most of the talk around this was how Dan Meiss developed his idea to reach this point. No new facts there as far as I can remember, just interesting background.
I have to say I had high expectations before I went but seeing that impression of the home end from the outside I literally said 'wow'. It has the potential to be iconic on the real meaning of the word.
The brickwork seems to both set off the glass "window'  at the home end, the roofs all round and fits in well with the surrounding heritage. There will be a criss cross pattern in the bricks as an acknowledgement to the Archibald Leitch designs at Goodison but I don't think that showed up too clearly  in the artists impression.
Want my meal now but if you have any puestions put them here and I'll do my best to answer them.
One important point is that the design could still change after the consultation period but realistically I think this is very close to what we get
Roll on first home game 2023/2024
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:57:09 AM by Shropshire Blue »

July 31, 2019, 03:18:52 AM
Reply #83

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
the mad thing is, the tower is actually quite small inside, and a weird design, so nobody really knows what to do with it once it's restored!
Is the siren looking for a permanent home?