May 18, 2021, 09:38:42 AM

Author Topic: Jagielka  (Read 2000 times)

October 05, 2016, 07:58:03 PM
Read 2000 times

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Simply simply lovely

October 05, 2016, 08:08:40 PM
Reply #1

Ross

Strange they say this at the end

In the top 20 there is a significant lack of players coming from the league's leading clubs, which many will suggest is because leakier defences of the division face far more crosses and long balls than the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool.

When there's only Spurs who's conceded less than us and Jan Vertonghen is joint 5th on the list according to their article along side Virgil van Dijk of Southampton who have the 3rd best defensive record so far this season.

Almost like it's a bullshit filler piece to make the redshite feel better about their porous defence.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 05, 2016, 08:25:15 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.90min.com/posts/3899237-stats-show-phil-jagielka-is-the-most-dominant-premier-league-player-in-the-air?utm_medium=share&utm_source=fotmob

Dominant in the air??

Headed clearances doesn't necessarily mean contested clearances. He could be just positioning well to clear incoming crosses, which we actually know he does.

Also, while the point about "leakier defences" facing more long ball is obviously bollocks, at this early stage in the league it really matters who your opponents had been: we had West Brom, Stoke, Sunderland and Crystal Palace, all of them relying heavily on putting in lots of hopeful crosses.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 08:40:08 PM by Major Clanger »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 05, 2016, 09:25:03 PM
Reply #3

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Headed clearances doesn't necessarily mean contested clearances. He could be just positioning well to clear incoming crosses, which we actually know he does.

So he has good positioning then!!
Simply simply lovely

October 05, 2016, 10:12:06 PM
Reply #4

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Still concede too many goals from crosses though.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 05, 2016, 10:21:05 PM
Reply #5

Dr. Sponge

I'm more than happy with our defending. We haven't conceded more than one goal each game, compared to the piss weak defending we saw last season.

We just need to find a good balance in the final third.

October 05, 2016, 11:19:45 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

I'm more than happy with our defending. We haven't conceded more than one goal each game, compared to the piss weak defending we saw last season.

We just need to find a good balance in the final third.

As well as we're doing restricting the opposition to very few attempts on goal the attempts that do make it on target are usually ending up in the net. I think I read a stat that said the last 5 attempts have all ended as goals against and Stek has hardly made a save otherwise. So positives and negatives.

October 05, 2016, 11:57:20 PM
Reply #7

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
As well as we're doing restricting the opposition to very few attempts on goal the attempts that do make it on target are usually ending up in the net. I think I read a stat that said the last 5 attempts have all ended as goals against and Stek has hardly made a save otherwise. So positives and negatives.
He made a save against a delaney header last week, first save in 6 attempts was the stat I read
Simply simply lovely

October 06, 2016, 12:07:15 AM
Reply #8

Lxxx

He made a save against a delaney header last week, first save in 6 attempts was the stat I read

I must have read it just before Delaney went up for the header.

October 06, 2016, 12:10:45 AM
Reply #9

Dr. Sponge

Stats are misleading though aren't they?

Stanislas' goal was a peach.

Naismith's deflected off his own foot.

Benteke's was one of the best headers you'll see all season.

Whatshisface for Boro, that was a foul on Stek. The Beast or whatever his nickname is.... Negredo. I got there in the end.

The 5th one must have been Norwich's second goal, and I think that was a good strike as well, can't remember exactly. Can anyone enlighten me?

There's been no sloppy goals conceded. This can only be a good thing. Although, I realise we will see clearly what flaws we have when we play City next.

October 06, 2016, 12:42:52 AM
Reply #10

Lxxx

Stats are misleading though aren't they?

Stanislas' goal was a peach.

Naismith's deflected off his own foot.

Benteke's was one of the best headers you'll see all season.

Whatshisface for Boro, that was a foul on Stek. The Beast or whatever his nickname is.... Negredo. I got there in the end.

The 5th one must have been Norwich's second goal, and I think that was a good strike as well, can't remember exactly. Can anyone enlighten me?

There's been no sloppy goals conceded. This can only be a good thing. Although, I realise we will see clearly what flaws we have when we play City next.

You're right, but there's more than one way at looking at those goals.

Stanislas had all the time in the world to pick that that one. Very little pressing.

Naismith was clean through on goal. The finish was fortuitous but he was allowed to get in one on one pretty easily.

Benteke's was a good header granted but Stek was a bit flat footed.

For the Boro goal Stek got his positioning all wrong and ended up ahead of the flight of the ball, catching it facing his own corner flag. Granted it was a foul but a cleaner leap from Negredo and it was a simple header into an empty net.

Norwich's second was a great strike but he waltzed in pretty easily and wasn't pressed so if you're giving players time and space like that you're gonna get punished, like the Stanislas goal.

The truth is somewhere inbetween the two perspectives but stats are stats.

October 06, 2016, 01:03:50 AM
Reply #11

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Stats will also prove that the last England manager won every game he was in charge of. No one else can claim that.
Stats need to be looked at in context and can be useful or people wouldn't do them or pay for them. Probably the best way to use them is to look for trends rather drawing exact conclusions.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

October 06, 2016, 01:07:31 AM
Reply #12

Dr. Sponge

Stanislas had all the time in the world to pick that that one. Very little pressing.

Naismith was clean through on goal. The finish was fortuitous but he was allowed to get in one on one pretty easily.

For the Boro goal Stek got his positioning all wrong and ended up ahead of the flight of the ball, catching it facing his own corner flag. Granted it was a foul but a cleaner leap from Negredo and it was a simple header into an empty net.

Norwich's second was a great strike but he waltzed in pretty easily and wasn't pressed so if you're giving players time and space like that you're gonna get punished, like the Stanislas goal.

Touché.

Yeah you're right it's probably somewhere in between.

But I'm still more than satisfied with the start to the season. We're much more solid and I didn't expect us to be so close to the top 4 after the last two seasons.

October 06, 2016, 01:16:49 AM
Reply #13

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber

I think what this demonstrates that the occasional goalkeeping wobble notwithstanding we've cut out the silliest errors. Now it's down to getting rid of the more complex errors, like the defensive line and the midfield not pressing together.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 07, 2016, 11:48:41 AM
Reply #14

blue1948

The interpretation of stats is what you want to prove and in that they are only of use to you and like minded people .As shown by the stats on Allardyce who if you want the stats -after every game he signed a 400,000 pound contract .They are only fit for purpose