November 19, 2017, 03:45:25 AM

Author Topic: Man City vs Everton  (Read 10156 times)

October 11, 2016, 09:07:54 PM
Read 10156 times

Bluedylan

Saturday 15th October, 3pm

So here goes then...

Biggest test for us so far, and possibly the hardest fixture, on paper at least, in the league. Having said that, plenty of players on both teams will have been away on international duty and City have got Barca a few days after, so it might not be the worst time to play them.

Although De Bruyne is recovering well, he's apparently still unlikely to make this game, which is nice.

It will be interesting to play a team that comes at us and wants to dominate the ball. High pressing has worked well against them for Celtic and Spurs, and their full backs look particularly shaky.

Assuming McCarthy is fit, I'd possibly be tempted to go 4-3-3, and try to put legs and aggression in the midfield, and leave Lukaku, Bolasie and one of Barkley/Mirallas/Deulofeu as the front three trying to hurt them on the break. Something like this:

Stekelenburg
Coleman   Jags     Williams    Baines
         Gana  McCarthy  Barry
Bolasie                                Barkley
                     Lukaku

Saw a few whispers that Lukaku is struggling to be fit. Obviously that would be fairly disastrous. I'm assuming Baines will be back.

What do we reckon, lads and lasses? A spirited performance from us with some points, or a rude awakening and pumped all over the Etihad?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 11, 2016, 09:24:34 PM
Reply #1

kramer0

I like that lineup. My only change would be to move Bolasie to the left and play Deulofeu (in place of Barkley) on the right.

Reasoning: Our best chance of slowing City down is to clog the midfield (so no Barkley or Cleverley -- they don't tackle enough or make enough interceptions) and I see our biggest attacking threat coming through crosses (with Bolasie and Deulofeu our best crossers of the ball). I don't know who City have been playing in defense recently but Stones, Otamendi, and Bravo are not built to repel frequent long balls into the penalty area. The trick for us will be getting the ball into crossing areas often enough to test them (not as easy as it sounds against a team that controls space the way City does).

Lukaku would be a big miss because he's our only reasonable target to get on the end of those crosses.

Whatever happens, this is a great test for Koeman. After a couple of lackluster performances, I'm curious to see how he sets us up to deal with one of the most threatening sides in the league.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:25:35 PM by kramer0 »

October 11, 2016, 10:10:01 PM
Reply #2

Alanvideo

Hoping for a Stones cock-up to gift us a goal.  :snigger:
I'd take a draw now, especially if Lukaku is out.
We are special ,we are Everton.

October 11, 2016, 10:16:50 PM
Reply #3

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
to be honest  i think we will get pumped. not looking forward to this at all.
I have to return some videotapes.

October 11, 2016, 11:44:48 PM
Reply #4

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
Depressing defeat or 1-1 draw

One of these is happening
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

October 12, 2016, 12:24:08 AM
Reply #5

bacon sarnie

Lose minus Lukaku. Draw with. City due for a big win as are we, but.........

October 12, 2016, 12:26:46 AM
Reply #6

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Spirited draw I reckon maybe even more so if Lukaku is out

October 12, 2016, 12:56:24 AM
Reply #7

Mayor Farnum

If Rom is out it may give Koeman licence to batten down the hatches and play for a draw without too much criticism.

October 12, 2016, 12:59:16 AM
Reply #8

Cozzie

With Rom out, our back up options are.

Arouna Kone
Enner Valencia
Oumar Niasse

Has there ever been a more grim sorry bunch of back up strikers ever?

We just need to get Anichebe back and we are sorted.

October 12, 2016, 03:01:01 AM
Reply #9

MmmBlueRamirez

A title decider already ;)
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

October 12, 2016, 05:10:30 AM
Reply #10

Juanito

If Lukaku is out, how about Barkley as a false 9? Have him sit inbetween their defenders and Fernando and just run at Stones!

October 12, 2016, 06:11:29 AM
Reply #11

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
The master v the apprentice
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 12, 2016, 06:28:47 AM
Reply #12

Gash

Global Moderator
Ah yes, Saturday 3pm kick off. :)

October 12, 2016, 08:07:12 AM
Reply #13

Shogun

Administrator
I don't really know what the formation is but I'd like to see us set up in a similar way as we did against Spurs.

Stekelenburg
Holgate Jagielka Williams
Coleman Gana Barry Baines
Barkley
Deulofeu Lukaku

We were pretty compact with that formation and because the space in the middle of our third of the pitch was well covered it forced Spurs to push their full backs forward which left space in behind for Barkley, Deulofeu and Mirallas to run into. It was only really when our fitness went that our pressing waned as the second half went on but you wouldn't expect that to be a problem at this stage.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:08:25 AM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 12, 2016, 09:08:42 AM
Reply #14

TSGun

Looking forward to this as it's one of the rare times Everton are on free to air over here. No dodgy internet links...woohoo.

As Kramer suggested there's great interest in how we deal with a quality opponent that will attempt to dominate. A hard game to be confident of victory but not hard to see a good performance that still allows us to take something from it.