November 22, 2017, 10:04:13 AM

Author Topic: January 2017 Transfer Window  (Read 180229 times)

November 14, 2016, 07:34:08 PM
Read 180229 times

Bluedylan

Not far away now, and the links with possible signings are starting to appear more frequently. Maybe I've gone too early with this thread? Fuck it, we need players. In my mind, until January, we're muddling through with what we've got in a few areas of the team.

It's hard not to conclude that this will be a very important window for us, more so than most January windows would be. Or have I got that wrong? Will it prove too difficult to sign the quality and/or quantity of players we need, halfway through a season?

I think plenty of good players are available in January who could improve us, even if maybe you have to pay a little bit more.  If we're being charitable, we can probably forgive the club for the summer transfer problems (just about). A new manager, director of football and majority shareholder all arriving with a few months is a lot of change all at once, and all the four first-teamers we signed have improved us to different degrees.

But a few months have passed now, and Walsh and Koeman are being handsomely paid to do their jobs. A similarly chaotic transfer window would be very negatively received by Evertonians. Put simply, both men need to earn their crust. Koeman should have a good idea of what he has and what he needs, and Walsh's main task will be to scout and recruit players.

I think in the longterm, if we want to be a club challenging for the CL, we possibly need somewhere between 5 and 10 first team players. Obviously, I'm not expecting that kind of player turnover in January, but I'm expecting us to make some progress on that front. Maybe 3 or 4 players of genuine quality. Being greedy, it would be nice to see a couple of those arrive on January 1st, especially with Gana and Bolasie leaving us for a month or so.

So what are your expectations? What positions absolutely MUST be addressed in January as a priority? Am I expecting too much to get 3 or 4 quality players signed in a January transfer window?

(also this could be a general thread for all rumours and possible signings)
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 14, 2016, 07:36:30 PM
Reply #1

blue slug

cant see us getting 3 or 4 quality first 11 type players in January, will be lucky to get 1 or 2 at most I would of thought

November 14, 2016, 07:39:50 PM
Reply #2

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Schneiderlin and Depay seemed to be getting linked with us daily now

If Depay is on loan, it has to be with a buy option otherwise its a pretty pointless signing imo

Simply simply lovely

November 14, 2016, 07:48:35 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It was interesting to read, going back a few months to an interview with Walsh, that he was spending most of his time assessing the current squad rather than necessarily hammering dvds or trekking up and down the country etc to look at potential new signings.

Hopefully that's filtering through (e.g. it should be obvious that we don't have a natural playmaker) but it's possible that we're still not in ideal positions to make big gains in this window.

With that in mind I can see why loaning someone like Depay would be seen as a sensible option as we're not committing too much when we might have different plans come the summer.

November 14, 2016, 07:49:58 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

cant see us getting 3 or 4 quality first 11 type players in January, will be lucky to get 1 or 2 at most I would of thought

If we get 1 or 2 genuine first team players we'll have done very well as, form issues aside, our first 11 is pretty strong.

November 14, 2016, 07:58:22 PM
Reply #5

Bluedylan

If we get 1 or 2 genuine first team players we'll have done very well as, form issues aside, our first 11 is pretty strong.

This is an interesting point, because maybe a year ago I would've agreed with you. But football moves on very quickly, and players' relative abilities can change quickly.

Just taking a quick glance at the current squad, how strong is our first team? We need a proper keeper without doubt. Baines is getting more and more injuries and his injuries and age suggest it won't be long before we need a proper left back. I would say Coleman has been average at best (being charitable) for a long time now, and we may need to address that fairly soon. Jags is not getting any better and may just be going over the hill slightly judging on recent form. Williams is good, but he's 32 and won't be there forever. Barry is still good most of the time, but will need replacing in the next year or two. A lot of people think we need to sign a better player than Barkley in his position. I don't agree but that's a commonly held view. Both Mirallas and Deulofeu appear to be standing still as players and could be improved on, and there's every chance Lukaku will be away next summer.

You might disagree with some or all of that, I don't know. But the more you look it at, the more it feels like a big overhaul is needed.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 14, 2016, 08:23:23 PM
Reply #6

sam of the south

This is an interesting point, because maybe a year ago I would've agreed with you. But football moves on very quickly, and players' relative abilities can change quickly.

Just taking a quick glance at the current squad, how strong is our first team? We need a proper keeper without doubt. Baines is getting more and more injuries and his injuries and age suggest it won't be long before we need a proper left back. I would say Coleman has been average at best (being charitable) for a long time now, and we may need to address that fairly soon. Jags is not getting any better and may just be going over the hill slightly judging on recent form. Williams is good, but he's 32 and won't be there forever. Barry is still good most of the time, but will need replacing in the next year or two. A lot of people think we need to sign a better player than Barkley in his position. I don't agree but that's a commonly held view. Both Mirallas and Deulofeu appear to be standing still as players and could be improved on, and there's every chance Lukaku will be away next summer.

You might disagree with some or all of that, I don't know. But the more you look it at, the more it feels like a big overhaul is needed.

I agree with all of that, unfortunately.

Maybe most of those players will improve once they've had a full season and a full pre-season with Koeman and his team.

My instincts tell me that Williams, Barry, Deulofeu (controversial... I just love him though  :hug:) Barkley, Gana, and Bolasie will still be nailed-on regulars as next season starts.

Lukaku will probably be off.

And Coleman has been on and off for nigh on three years now.

If possible, I think Koeman would want in the next 2-3 transfer windows:

GK: first choice (Stek isn't good enough)
RB: first choice (Coleman's declining form)
LB: first choice (Baines' declining fitness)
CB: first choice (Jags and Williams advancing ages, Mori being a bit poo, and Holgate and Galloway being very young)
DCM: maybe two (McCarthy isn't good enough, Gana goes to AFCON, and Barry is ageing)
ACM: first choice/serious competition (maybe a different type of player to Ross, a clever link player)
RW/LW: first choice/competition (He doesn't rate Lennon, Mirallas is unreliable, and Deulofeu is mystifying)
ST: Two (Lukaku will leave, Kone is done, and Valencia won't cut it)
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

November 14, 2016, 09:00:19 PM
Reply #7

bacon sarnie

Major affordable overhaul of the entire squad. Failing that a striker, midfield general, solid centre-half and a goalie. Failing that play the fuckin youth.

November 14, 2016, 09:14:44 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

No I don't disagree with that.

I should have stressed the theoretical strength of the first 11 players (keeper aside) in that if we've got someone who is definitely better than them (e.g. a consistent Mirallas / a young Barry etc.) then they will be good players.

November 14, 2016, 09:39:20 PM
Reply #9

Macca77

I reckon we've already got a couple of players lined up, mistakes were made during the summer and Walsh won't want a repeat of that

November 14, 2016, 10:55:17 PM
Reply #10

BlueNoseMike

I'm trying not to over react to the Chelsea result, because I think the first 11 is good enough for what we want this season (top 7, europe and a decent cup run).

I've tried to divide into categories what we need, as in short term as soon as possible (this season) and the long term (the next 2 summer transfer windows but can manage without for rest of season). It's always hard to get your long term needs covered in January as that window is designed for the quick fix to help the current season. However, I am aware the likes of Suarez, Evra and Vidic are examples that prove it wrong

Short term
Back up to Lukaku - even if this is literally just the short term, ie a loan from one of the top clubs in europe, not shite like West Ham

another CAM - we have a lot of athletes that can counter well and are really direct, what we lack is someone who can keep the ball well and unlock defences. We're a quick big strong powerhouse of a team in them attacking areas and sometimes we lack a bit of finesse and quality on the ball and someone with these qualities that can play across the 3 behind the striker would be great. Doesn't have to be instead of Barkley, can do this job coming off the wing too like Stevie P

Back up RB - it's asking a lot of the young lad Holgate to fill in if coleman is injured and Coleman needs someone to challenge him because he's standards have slipped because he doesn't have to worry about losing his place.

Summer transfers
1st team CB - I feel Jags will be moved on or demoted to bench in the summer and a young strong CB is needed. VVD from Southampton would be the perfect buy, someone like him would be attainable for us but he might cost too much. Add another the year after for Williams

1st team GK - again we need young blood and someone who can challenge in this area. One of the german guys, or Rulli from sociedad, or Butland or Forster (again money issues for them)

a 27 year old Gareth Barry - Quite simply the glue of the team and we should be aiming to buy a version of him that is in their prime. Break the bank for this IMO. I'd keep an eye on how much game time the likes of Schneiderlin

2 Strikers - We will lose Rom, we need a top top striker to replace him. Plus another to support

A winger

Plus next summer I'm expecting at least one or two transfer coups. Not earth shattering like Tevez to WHU but I'd be monitoring the game time of the likes of Ramsey closely, and looking at promising upcoming players and getting in there first Tielemans, etc

November 14, 2016, 11:59:46 PM
Reply #11

KoemansNumberTens

I'll be amazed if deulofeu is a regular next season. He's going backwards and we are going have probably 5 or 6 new signings by the start of next season. Think it's more likely that he's not even here than actually starting games. He's been horribly bad this season

November 15, 2016, 12:09:02 AM
Reply #12

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Im not sure we are going to sign too many stars in January, maybe 1 or 2, but we need some decent cover in a lot of positions, I would like us to buy:

LB, Baines might only have a couple of years left and Oviedo doesn't quite cut it so some cover would be good, maybe recall Galloway if that's an option.

CB, were still short in numbers and could do with some extra support.

LM/RM, just with Depay being linked I would love him to come here, Bolasie has been decent but Mirallas and Deulofeu are too inconsistent.

CAM, we need either a replacement or competition for Ross, everyone knows my thoughts on him so I'm not gonna get in to a huge debate over it, if I was going to say it in a nice way then I think he's not good enough right now to be relied on to play in that position every week.

ST, need some cover for Rom.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

November 15, 2016, 12:19:31 AM
Reply #13

Ross

Anything less than 3 would surely mean we've not rectified the problems of the summer.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 15, 2016, 01:25:09 AM
Reply #14

Juanito

I think right back is ok, with Kenny coming through next year (hopefully) and Holgate and maybe Browning providing cover for Coleman.

LB in the summer.

CB in the summer.

Right now, Schneiderlan, a No.10 and another striker would be amazing, for January 1st.

Depay on loan with good option to buy in the summer only if he comes in and takes that right wing spot of Gerry and Mirallas, consistently.

I think we need to be hopeful for Holgate, Browning, Davies, Kennedy and Calvin-Lewin coming good next season.  Therefore being not a complete overhaul come this time next season.