November 25, 2017, 06:26:14 AM

Author Topic: Southampton vs Everton  (Read 13238 times)

November 24, 2016, 07:23:43 PM
Read 13238 times

Bluenose 91

Will be a tough one this and a point will probably be a decent result considering the run we have coming up.

Going for 1-1 myself.

November 24, 2016, 07:25:15 PM
Reply #1

Shogun

Administrator
We're going to get beat and it won't be pleasant.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 24, 2016, 08:34:26 PM
Reply #2

kramer0

This will be a great test for us. Most of the models I've seen -- shots, shots on target, expected goals, etc. -- have Everton and Southampton among the eight best teams in the league with a decent sized gap to ninth place. At the moment, they look like our closest rivals for seventh place, although I do think they're better than us. They have one of the league's two or three best CB pairings (maybe even the best on current form), better midfielders and midfield depth, one of the league's best creative passers (Tadic), and an underrated group of attackers (I think Redmond is particularly underrated).

Basically, Southampton are reaping the benefits of having a good director of football (or whatever Les Reed's title is) while most of the other clubs in the league (ourselves included) were still in the dark ages of letting the manager oversee everything. Les Reed might have been a crap manager but he always seems to buy quality players for reasonable prices (Redmond and Hojbjerg the most recent examples) and he also appoints good coaches. I know there's going to be some tension here over Koeman, but Southampton is a club that I have a lot of respect for because of how well they're run. I think we're making strides in this direction but it takes time to build a sustainable model and we're behind clubs who've already had a DoF structure in place.

Back to the match -- we should have a full-strength eleven featuring our only workable midfield combination1. There's no excuse for not putting in a performance here, even if they are better than us.

1. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the biggest squad problem we have. We do a good job of restricting shots from prime locations (good CB play, penalties aside), our wingers do a reasonable job of creating chances (even if they are inconsistent), and Lukaku is a great finisher. When we play poorly, it tends to be because the link between defense and attack is broken. When Gana is out, we struggle to break up play (Chelsea, although who knows how much he would have helped), and when Barry is out, we don't move the ball well enough (Swansea). We need reinforcements here, possibly even two players.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 08:35:44 PM by kramer0 »

November 24, 2016, 08:40:13 PM
Reply #3

Bluedylan

Nice to see @kramer0 employing his trademark footnote manoeuvre there. Would a complete bibliography be too much to ask? ;)
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 24, 2016, 08:43:22 PM
Reply #4

everton1952

Hopefully Koeman will motivate the players enough to get a draw out of it. Given that we only get 1 goal in most games I go for 1-1.

November 24, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
Reply #5

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Be arsed with this tbh
Just an excuse to go out

Simply simply lovely

November 24, 2016, 09:01:47 PM
Reply #6

Alanvideo

Pretty impressive we've sold our 3,319 allocation. Hope the players put in the same effort.
We are special ,we are Everton.

November 24, 2016, 09:16:45 PM
Reply #7

kramer0

Would a complete bibliography be too much to ask? ;)

Not at all!

(Pours cup of coffee. Takes deep breath. Starts typing...)

November 24, 2016, 09:21:09 PM
Reply #8

MmmBlueRamirez

Cant work out if it's a case of Gash's SAD or a general apathy for Everton at the moment but this fixture leaves me feeling a bit meh.

Could really doing with winning it though and then going on a winning run to restore some mojo.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

November 24, 2016, 09:26:26 PM
Reply #9

Bluedylan

Cant work out if it's a case of Gash's SAD or a general apathy for Everton at the moment but this fixture leaves me feeling a bit meh.

Could really doing with winning it though and then going on a winning run to restore some mojo.

I think we're all feeling similar. It feels like a bit of a slog at the minute, we're not playing well, we're not expecting too much from these kind of games and we're hoping for some good things to happen in January. And then it's cold and dark on top of that.

We need a big performance and result out of the blue to re-invigorate everyone. Hope it's this weekend.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 24, 2016, 09:39:55 PM
Reply #10

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah im not feeling too bothered at the moment. Starting to feel like a chore to watch us again. But like BD says, the reasons are there. We just need a good win to get morale back.
I have to return some videotapes.

November 24, 2016, 09:58:29 PM
Reply #11

Gash

Global Moderator
I'm looking forward to it. Sunday afternoon, fire on, steak for tea and a cool lager to wash it down while watching the football. :)

November 24, 2016, 10:05:23 PM
Reply #12

bacon sarnie

Reckon it'll be a good match, a probable 0-0. Not much else to say about Everton these days. Parp-parp.

November 24, 2016, 10:22:26 PM
Reply #13

Thornton_19

They are in Prague tonight. We will go there and win. European Hangover.

November 24, 2016, 10:24:31 PM
Reply #14

Bluenose 91

I'm looking forward to it. Sunday afternoon, fire on, steak for tea and a cool lager to wash it down while watching the football. :)

Sounds good when you put it like that!