November 21, 2017, 03:23:13 AM

Poll

Where will Bilyaletdinov find his home?

Left wing
Right wing
The "Cahill" Role
Centre midfield
Another club

Author Topic: Dini' the Russian  (Read 8227 times)

January 09, 2010, 01:34:12 AM
Reply #60

ToxtethBlue

To be fair, we only had a week to sign around 4-5 players, It can't have been easy for Moyes. I think we are lucky he was very much off the radar, if we'd have went for anyone half decent I'd have fully expected us to be outbid by another club. Even with the 18-20 million had to spend, it's really not alot when you have to spread it out, and buy four players or so.

It's far too early to judge Bilyaletdinov, who knows, if he improves his delivery and has the right fullback behind him he might turn into a Beckham style wide player, someone who whips crosses in early and from deeper positions. But I have my doubts to be honest, there aren't many players like Beckham around.
ToxtethBlue

deCoubertin

January 09, 2010, 04:27:28 AM
Reply #61

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I don't have a problem with him not being a natural winger, there are very few around and many attacking midfielders have been effective outwide, it's nothing new, players like Pienaar and Modric have proven that.

But Bilyaletdinov honestly looks like a Frank Lampard type player playing outwide. A player who can pick a pass, has good control and is intelligent on the pitch. He doesn't look comfortable when he has to pick up the ball and carry it, even when he's cutting inside. Pienaar is far from a byline hitting winger, but he has the agility, movement and trickiness to make a nuisance of himself. He's quick thinking and mobile.

Bilyaletdinov doesn't seem to have any of this, or at the moment, he's not showing it. I think he'll be a good player for us, he's certainly a good footballer, but I'm not convinced it'll be as a winger/wide player.

I see what you're saying about Pienaar's "nippiness" in comparison to Bily, but apart from that being a natural physical thing due to their size and build, I do think it's partly due to his prolonged spell of football. You can see he looks to do things such as skipping inside but currently he hasn't quite got the sharpness to do it.

I'm still sticking to my view that it's far to early to say that he's definitely a central player when he's clearly shown, in glimpses, what he'll offer when fully functional.