November 22, 2017, 03:16:54 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Newcastle Match Thread  (Read 32868 times)

September 13, 2010, 04:34:45 PM
Reply #15

di_guyo

more so than hibbert, who didn't do a bad job...yak has to start, massive difference when he came on...and distin should be benched after that dire show. still, with it being newcastle at home, these are the games for coleman to have a go at right back.
Everton & Atleti

September 13, 2010, 04:35:04 PM
Reply #16

EFC Elliot

I agree mate but Distin has been good for us since wev had him, yes he had a 'mare on saturday but should it be one bad game and your out, i know Johnny was in the wrong possition but he was woeful! AS for Hibbert I HATE him but i thought he played superbly on saturday, best iv seen him in a long time, yes his crossing is shite but defensively hes our best right back, against Newcastle we want a big win so yes id play Coleman but bigger/stronger teams id stick with Hibbert.

September 13, 2010, 04:36:36 PM
Reply #17

montanatoffeefan

Wouldn't mind seeing Hibbo starting tbh. He's been one of our best players this season (sic). Don't think we'll see Seamus in anything more than late sub roles when we need goals and domestic cup games for awhile. Distin...well, let's hope he gets a rest. I like the rest of it, too.

Would be an apt game in so many ways for Victor to get his first start out on the right wing.
Everton forever.

September 13, 2010, 04:45:07 PM
Reply #18

Alanvideo

Hibbert had a decent game ,he's solid for us except when it come to crossing. Every cross went straight to the keeper ,compare that with Baines who created our 2 late goals with good crosses . Neville is no better at crossing so,Coleman is our best option for RB , doubt if Moyes will start him though. Yak should start and Beckford to come off the bench .
We are special ,we are Everton.

September 13, 2010, 04:48:15 PM
Reply #19

Sheedys left peg

I take your points lads.  I was over at the Wolves game and thought Hibbert did very well, but again his final ball let him down.  In terms of centre back, I think our two best centre halves are jags and heitanga.  So I would play them togther especially as we have felli to sit in the holding role in midfield.  I think those three playing in those positions make us much more solid.

September 13, 2010, 05:17:13 PM
Reply #20

top flight for a long time

He put in a few decent crosses in the first half - one was just cleared in front of Fellaini. Baines may have created the goals but he wasted a number of chances earlier and also failed to get near the crosses for the goals (except the 3rd which was mostly down to Distin).  Add to the face that Baines was facing Neville and there is a distinct advantage there!
We're forever Everton....

September 13, 2010, 05:24:46 PM
Reply #21

di_guyo

He put in a few decent crosses in the first half - one was just cleared in front of Fellaini. Baines may have created the goals but he wasted a number of chances earlier and also failed to get near the crosses for the goals (except the 3rd which was mostly down to Distin).  Add to the face that Baines was facing Neville and there is a distinct advantage there!

to be fair to baines, although 2 of the goals were down his side, that nani cross in for fletcher's was just epic...i was watching it and i didnt know whether to applaud or cry, it was like shagging a hideous fat bird, i was gutted but there was a climax that i atleast momentarily appreciated...awesome delivery, don't blame baines for it at all.
Everton & Atleti

September 13, 2010, 05:34:22 PM
Reply #22

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
baines needs to start closing down the cross better, he's terrible for letting people have all the time and space in the world to deliver a cross.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 13, 2010, 05:39:27 PM
Reply #23

nomorechang

RIP
Our biggest problem against Newcastle will be coping with Andy Carroll who is going to be a handful . In the air Disty will probably be our best option however after that game he just played I can see him going into a slump ... again ... Jags and Johnny are both international CB's and should be able to deal with a young centre forward even if I rate this lad highly
Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same"
Alan Ball

" Notoriously shy and laconic off the field, Dean's quotes are sparse. He is reputed to have said to an over-enthusiastic marker 'I'm going for a pee. You coming?' "

September 13, 2010, 05:40:08 PM
Reply #24

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
anyone who thinks we won't play distin against caroll is fooling themselves.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 13, 2010, 05:45:01 PM
Reply #25

evertonjoe

anyone who thinks we won't play distin against caroll is fooling themselves.

This. I'm all for trying out Heitinga and Jags together but this really isn't the game we'll be doing it in.

R.A.P Music

September 13, 2010, 06:10:19 PM
Reply #26

di_guyo

Our biggest problem against Newcastle will be coping with Andy Carroll who is going to be a handful . In the air Disty will probably be our best option however after that game he just played I can see him going into a slump ... again ... Jags and Johnny are both international CB's and should be able to deal with a young centre forward even if I rate this lad highly

good point actually. i dont fancy heitinga or jags in the air against carroll
Everton & Atleti

September 13, 2010, 06:46:01 PM
Reply #27

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm bemused how some people think that Distin has been solid since we signed him.

He's made countless errors that sometimes have cost us goals, sometimes they haven't.

He had the misfortune to make them against a team capable of exploiting them on Saturday, but for me it has only been the inadequacies of other teams that has saved him/us from that kind of display before.

He wasn't helped by Heitinga for the first one, and Baines did him no favours for the second either, but he could quite easily have cost us 5 or 6 goals just by himself.

People used to moan about Yobo's errors, but while they were catastrophic, they were at least separated by about 6 months.

Unfortunately I think Carrol's height will keep him in, but after that Heitinga has to be played there.

With regards to Hibbert, I don't think he deserves to be dropped at all. His crossing isn't as bad as some make out. Clearly Baines is better in this aspect, but then he's also worse at defending than Hibbert. I'm not sure that Moyes is going to risk having 2 full back who's attacking play can leave us short at the back.

Until Victor's back I would give Coleman a go at RM with Hibbo behind him.

September 13, 2010, 06:53:20 PM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
                                              Howard

Hibbert                         Jagielka        Heitinga                 Baines

Fellaini

Coleman                                 Arteta                             Pienaar                               

Cahill

Yakubu

I'd go with this, but I'm expecting Ossie to still be on the right and Distin to be in defence. Which will mean Heitinga dropping to the bench.

We have to spend all week getting the Yak ready to play for an hour at least, then hopefully if we're a couple of goals to the good we can use Beckford as he was originally intended, to exploit opposition defences when they're chasing the game.

September 13, 2010, 06:57:10 PM
Reply #29

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I'm bemused how some people think that Distin has been solid since we signed him.

He's made countless errors that sometimes have cost us goals, sometimes they haven't.

He had the misfortune to make them against a team capable of exploiting them on Saturday, but for me it has only been the inadequacies of other teams that has saved him/us from that kind of display before.

He wasn't helped by Heitinga for the first one, and Baines did him no favours for the second either, but he could quite easily have cost us 5 or 6 goals just by himself.

People used to moan about Yobo's errors, but while they were catastrophic, they were at least separated by about 6 months.

Unfortunately I think Carrol's height will keep him in, but after that Heitinga has to be played there.

With regards to Hibbert, I don't think he deserves to be dropped at all. His crossing isn't as bad as some make out. Clearly Baines is better in this aspect, but then he's also worse at defending than Hibbert. I'm not sure that Moyes is going to risk having 2 full back who's attacking play can leave us short at the back.

Until Victor's back I would give Coleman a go at RM with Hibbo behind him.

Pretty much all this :)

I wonder if we'll ever see Anichebe RW with Coleman RB...I'm guessing not.

And speaking of Anichebe weren't they meant to have started contract negotiations a while back, are we going to end up losing our first choice LW and potentially our first choice RW for the nothing at the end of the season? Yikes.