August 11, 2020, 02:01:12 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 183947 times)

July 31, 2020, 01:23:53 PM
Reply #1620

KoemansNumberTens

HEADLINE: ďDowell to leave on a free after Everton hold out for £5mĒ

*KNT shakes fist in anger claiming club should have taken the £1m*

Are we really arguing that we wouldnít have been better off had we sold the likes of garbutt dowell and Pennington years ago?

If Iíd of come on a few years ago and said sell him for 5-10m everyone would have said heís worth more. Now though itís laughable to suggest we might have been able to get such a massive fee?

July 31, 2020, 01:33:19 PM
Reply #1621

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Are we really arguing that we wouldnít have been better off had we sold the likes of garbutt dowell and Pennington years ago?

If Iíd of come on a few years ago and said sell him for 5-10m everyone would have said heís worth more. Now though itís laughable to suggest we might have been able to get such a massive fee?

I donít think anyone is arguing with that. Once again I think youíre yelling but youíre the only one in the room.

I donít think youíre arguing about any of the points above here. I think youíre suggesting we could get more than a reported £1m for an almost out of contract player who (for the past 5yrs?) is loaned to the championship and then dropped to the bench after 5 months during each loan.

Either way I donít really care tbh. I was just poking a bit of fun at a grumpy old man. No offence intended. No hard feelings man.

July 31, 2020, 02:00:30 PM
Reply #1622

KoemansNumberTens

I donít think anyone is arguing with that. Once again I think youíre yelling but youíre the only one in the room.

I donít think youíre arguing about any of the points above here. I think youíre suggesting we could get more than a reported £1m for an almost out of contract player who (for the past 5yrs?) is loaned to the championship and then dropped to the bench after 5 months during each loan.

Either way I donít really care tbh. I was just poking a bit of fun at a grumpy old man. No offence intended. No hard feelings man.

I think 1m is certainly on the low side. The bigger issue though is that he should have been sold years ago. We hold on to substandard young players, pay them more and then either have to give them away or get stuck with them.

Iím really not angry about us getting 1 rather than 5. Just frustrated that as a club we donít seem to be very good at very much

July 31, 2020, 03:39:38 PM
Reply #1623

GrantyBoy78

I think the window for getting a good price for him, was a narrow one. He needed to go out on loan and get experience but (as said above), it showed him up for what he is: a Championship player, who might get back in the Prem with a bit of application and luck.

No Championship is going to spend £10m on a player like this and take-on the financial burden, when they can just loan one from a Prem team. Another negative by-product of bloated Prem team squads.

At a million or two, teams will take a chance on someone like Robinson, Dowell and Williams as theyíre getting a good player with a decent chance of still making a profit on them.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

July 31, 2020, 03:48:31 PM
Reply #1624

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I think 1m is certainly on the low side. The bigger issue though is that he should have been sold years ago. We hold on to substandard young players, pay them more and then either have to give them away or get stuck with them.

Iím really not angry about us getting 1 rather than 5. Just frustrated that as a club we donít seem to be very good at very much

I hear ya. They frustrate me pretty much daily with the odd sprinkling of hope and joy to make sure I keep coming back for more punishment.

August 01, 2020, 04:08:35 AM
Reply #1625

Makis

He hasn't exactly set the Championship alight and the clubs there are not financially doing very well. No way any PL club would sign him so getting any money this year from him is good business.