November 14, 2018, 05:04:18 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 92063 times)

February 08, 2017, 12:21:02 AM
Read 92063 times

Ross

Much rather we do right by the academy graduates that don't make the grade here and look to set them on the best career path for themselves rather than worry about making a few million pound here and there.

We've a duty of career after all and still need to help them make the most of their career and talent as an when a decision is made to move them on.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 08, 2017, 12:56:07 AM
Reply #1

Ross

Which is why striving to send them out on loan at the highest possible level is the best we can do for them. I clearly don't know the ins and outs but players like Ledson for example, who was highly rated by everyone not just within the club but at international level, finds himself at Oxford and others like him find themselves lost in the lower leagues. Whereas the shite's obscure reserves find themselves still at a decent level when they move on.

I think the more professional setup we have now will reap dividends not just for us but for the kids as well.

No sending them to the club that offers them the best possible opportunities of advancement is the right thing to for them, you only have to see how Galloway has fared this season at West Brom to see that. If he'd have gone to Newcastle or Derby it's likely he'd have came back in the summer with 40 odd senior games under his belt rather than having spent 40 odd games sat on his backside. Sadly we decided to prioritise the money over the players advancement and we and him will be worse off for it in the long run.

I can't believe youre making a comparison to the shite as well. Our academy has proven far superior over the last 20+ years in comparison to theirs. We've produced footballers fit for the premiership time and again in that period, saving ourselves multiple millions in the process, as well as launching dozens of local kids into professional football.

It's a ridiculous point, the sale of Wayne Rooney alone has probably eclipsed whatever the shite have gained from their graduate sales in the last 20 years, that's before you factor in the fees for Rodwell, Anichebe, Vaughan.....

All we need to do is carry on doing right by individual like we have been, it's clearly working.

Do right by each and every graduate and don't treat them as pieces of meat.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

February 08, 2017, 04:44:42 AM
Reply #2

Ross

There was nothing wrong with the Galloway loan in principle, he'd be getting valuable experience at the top level under a defensive manager. He started the season playing in the 1st team but a run of poor form and the failure to put in a recall clause meant it wasn't as beneficial as planned. It was definitely worth a shot.

As I said, the new setup we have across the whole club will benefit everyone concerned now from top to bottom.

What apart from the simple fact Pulis has no history of developing young talent?

He was taken in as back up when they had an injury crisis and as soon as senior players were fit they took his place. It wasn't to do with form that he was dropped, because Galloways form was fine, in fact they did quite well in the 3 games he started in if I recall correctly. It was just a poor choice of club and just because they're a premiership club, a "big club", shouldn't come into it for what should be obvious reasons.

I'm also pretty sure you can't place a recall option when it's a long term loan is between two premiership clubs.

March 10, 2017, 02:59:26 AM
Reply #3

Ross

Holgate has been as good as your going to get from a defefender of his age. I really rate him but he's going to have poor games

I've not seen that many e's since the 051 was closed down..

March 10, 2017, 04:38:13 AM
Reply #4

Ross

Well, saying that you hate a player who tries his best is a little odd, whether they're any good or not.

And I certainly don't sign up to the whole good-shit spectrum stuff at all. You can't reduce a player's ability to just one number representing his quality.

The way I see it (and I'm probably wrong) is that Williams and Mori are quite dependable up to a point. But if you put pressure on them beyond that point, they crumble. Like Mori against Spurs, we know his passing ability is virtually non-existent, which is normally not a massive deal, except when the opposition targets it.

So it is quite possible that we'd be better off overall with defenders who aren't even as dependable against (for want of a better word) "lesser" teams but their performance degrades less dramatically against tough opposition.

Have you seen Mori passing stats for the Spurs game?

March 10, 2017, 04:54:41 AM
Reply #5

Ross

No, please enlighten me.

But what I saw was clear: Spurs kept forcing him to try one of his hopeful balls into nowhere by closing down all his easy options.

Theyre out there for everyone to see I'm sure you're more than familiar with google.

Do you think we targeted Alderweireld or Vertonghen?

March 10, 2017, 05:40:04 AM
Reply #6

Ross

Okay, @Ross, this is just for you.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/121221/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Noticed the conspicuous absence of blue arrows pointing in the opposition half and the large number of reds in comparison?

Now, let's take a look at Vertonghen.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/39194/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Hmm, that does look quite different. But maybe it's just a general reflection of how poor we were. Surely, Williams's forward passing must have been similarly wayward.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2016/matches/855438/player-stats/19159/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Ermm, nope. But note how Williams didn't even try to put the ball over the halfway line.

Hmmm missed Alderweireld off deliberately or couldn't you find him? Forget the fact Williams only passed the ball about 30 times compared to Mori playing it 60ish? Did you bother seeing the pass completing stats between Vertonghen and Mori?

Good to know you're googles back up though!

March 23, 2017, 07:55:41 PM
Reply #7

Ross

Didn't Arsenal pay more than that for Jermaine Pennant about 15 years ago?

We're just behind the curve!

Wasn't it about £5m they paid?

April 22, 2017, 01:56:16 AM
Reply #8

Ross

Chelsea's keeper looks like he's eligible for their veterans team.

May 09, 2017, 02:15:30 AM
Reply #9

Ross

Where's Liam Walsh?

November 11, 2017, 11:04:56 PM
Reply #10

Ross

Sounds like he’s on the right track.

April 10, 2018, 04:08:37 AM
Reply #11

Ross

He’s got more league minutes for RB Leipzig this season than he has for us.

He’s been involved in 6 of the 8 league games they’ve had since he got there.

April 10, 2018, 04:20:35 AM
Reply #12

Ross

Granted but I'd rather have seen him playing a vital role at a championship club rather than stay here or be in Germany

He’s getting “minutes” like you say you wanted him to get but at a much higher standard than the one you believe he should be playing at while surrounded by better players and learning from better coaches.

You’re making out like he’s sat on his arse eating a bratwurst every game.