November 17, 2019, 02:27:31 PM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 147330 times)

April 25, 2017, 09:39:29 PM
Reply #345

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Just get tickets through the site then?
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

April 25, 2017, 09:41:28 PM
Reply #346

Alanvideo

Just get tickets through the site then?
............think it's just box office and Everton One or Two
We are special ,we are Everton.

April 25, 2017, 09:43:36 PM
Reply #347

Bluedylan

How much do we think this means/doesn't mean then? Was listening to a journo, Mike Calvin, on the Echo podcast the other day who has just written a book on youth football saying that the PL2 is basically a load of old shite, and largely ineffective in producing the level of football and players needed to break into Prem teams. He was saying that's why so many clubs loan their best prospects out.

Don't mean to put a downer on things, because I'm buzzing for the lads, but it did give me pause for thought.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

April 25, 2017, 09:59:26 PM
Reply #348

MIG

Well we've already had a couple of them come through to the first team.  At least a few more that look like they could make the step up too.

Lets face it, it can't do any harm.  Its better that these players are playing regularly and its nice that they're winning things together with the Everton mentality than spread out all over the country at different teams on loan.  Could be building a future spine of our team.

Course, you'll never win anything with kids ;)

April 25, 2017, 09:59:48 PM
Reply #349

Alanvideo

How much do we think this means/doesn't mean then? Was listening to a journo, Mike Calvin, on the Echo podcast the other day who has just written a book on youth football saying that the PL2 is basically a load of old shite, and largely ineffective in producing the level of football and players needed to break into Prem teams. He was saying that's why so many clubs loan their best prospects out.

Don't mean to put a downer on things, because I'm buzzing for the lads, but it did give me pause for thought.
..................there are 2 divisions of 12 teams each. Only 15 of the current PL have entered teams
Not surprisingly ,the top 7 in the PL2 is the same clubs as the PL with the strange exception of Sunderland instead of Man U. I think it's useful and it's the nearest thing there's been to an old fashioned reserve league like we used to have years ago.
https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U21
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:01:57 PM by Alanvideo »

April 25, 2017, 10:00:24 PM
Reply #350

Major Clanger

NSNO Subscriber

All the more reason to make it work for us.
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

April 25, 2017, 10:03:55 PM
Reply #351

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

You can never quite tell, can you?

However, we've already had three players in DCL, Davies and Holgate become permanent fixtures in the first team, Pennington coming in, as well as dowell, Kenny and Connolly playing last season, Galloway too.

All looking very adept at premier league level.

Granted, the challenge comes when you have a run of games and try to hold your place down but the signs are very promising.

Some of them will make it here, some will fall short but still have good careers in the premier league and they're varying different factors that will come into player. For example, I'd say dowell is the most technically gifted player we've had in the youth ranks since Barkley, but he strikes me as someone who's not quite good enough to make the step up. Then there's someone like Davies, who isn't as good on the ball bit just looks like a premier league player.

One things for sure, it's the most promising crop of youngsters in the country at the moment and it's great to be able to call upon such talents when needed.

Also, dare I say Roberto Martinez deserves a semblance of credit?

April 25, 2017, 10:06:28 PM
Reply #352

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Also, the standard of reserve team football today is a lot better than it was just a few years back.

It was played at a snails pace a few years back. Now it's a geared a lot more to mirror premier league football.

April 25, 2017, 10:06:58 PM
Reply #353

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

I imagine it will provide more oppurtunities for the younger lads to forge careers in football. Whether its with Everton or not
Simply simply lovely

April 25, 2017, 10:15:45 PM
Reply #354

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's hard to tell because you could get lucky that the specific group (as its age limited there's always a regular turnover of personnel) of players happen to gel well together and that's why they're more successful than a team with potentially more talented individuals.

It can't do any harm, winning of course, apart from maybe creating unrealistic expectations that we'll have 5 or 6 players in the first team / squad soon.

April 25, 2017, 10:26:07 PM
Reply #355

WeimaranerBlues

............think it's just box office and Everton One or Two
t

Yep popped down to the box office, 5 unreserved tickets upper bullens, can see them opening 3/4 of the ground tbh if they think 20,000 are expected

April 25, 2017, 10:41:59 PM
Reply #356

Robioto

t

Yep popped down to the box office, 5 unreserved tickets upper bullens, can see them opening 3/4 of the ground tbh if they think 20,000 are expected

It will be awesome if 20,000 go.

April 25, 2017, 11:16:14 PM
Reply #357

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
.............can't remember when I last wrote a cheque , everything now is cards or bank transfers. Even my last car I bought with debit card. Times change. Still like to carry cash though.

I like cheques. I like seeing something. I prefer receiving them from my clients as I have no charges to pay.

Would never dream of buying a car on a debit card. Most dealerships would say no here because of the high transaction fees.

Cheques are very common still here.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

April 25, 2017, 11:19:03 PM
Reply #358

Toddacelli

.............can't remember when I last wrote a cheque , everything now is cards or bank transfers. Even my last car I bought with debit card. Times change. Still like to carry cash though.

Can we move this from the U23 Thread to the O73 Thread for you and @blargins please?     ;)

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 25, 2017, 11:56:09 PM
Reply #359

Alanvideo

t

..................I'm baffled why they started with the UB rather than the MS. I guess quite a few kopites will go ,you know ,all those disenfranchised locals who can't get tickets to Anfield.