December 06, 2019, 04:17:26 AM

Author Topic: The u23 thread  (Read 150124 times)

April 16, 2019, 04:50:32 PM
Reply #1230

Hesmenos

Isn't Sambou's contract running out anyways?

Does the youth teams have the players to play in the same style as what Silva wants, i.e. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? Do they have the right type of wide forwards?

And yeah, the gulf is massive. Remember we have several under 23 players in the first squad (DCL, Davies, Lookman, Kenny, Richarlison. Imagine how they would dominate at this level. I would imagine the lads that have been on load to Championship have a much better chance. I.e. Connolly, Williams, Robinson, Holgate) and at best they will most likely be in the periphery.  If there was no transfer budget then I cold see some of the promoted to the subs bench.
Its wonderful for the players and their families to win this league but it means very little to the club.
The main aim of the u23s should be to provide players for the first  team. Ajax probably have the most successful football academy in Europe. Their youth teams are famous for playing the same system as the first team so that when they get into the first team they are ready to slot straight in. They are currently 7th in their youth league but have provided 11 players in the current Ajax first team (5 of these are regular starters in the first XI)
Of the team that won the PL2 two seasons ago, 4 are currently in our first team and DCL is the only one that can be considered a regular starter in the first XI

April 16, 2019, 04:51:39 PM
Reply #1231

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Meant an awful lot to the team and all that were there .
Not saying it doesnt mean a lot to the lads and the fans involved, I mean it means little in the future team being littered with young lads coming through
Simply simply lovely

April 16, 2019, 05:15:54 PM
Reply #1232

Alanvideo

People have mentioned that Brands might want an upgrade on Unsworth in order to produce the type of player capable of playing PL . Winning the PL2 twice in 3 seasons is about as good as it gets ,yet as @Jimmywhack says , its meaningless in terms of players coming through.
On the evidence of last night's game you might say Bowler and one or two others are worth a try from the bench in the odd game ,maybe in the early UEFA's if we happen to scrape in ,unlikely I know.
We are special ,we are Everton.

April 16, 2019, 07:07:25 PM
Reply #1233

stirlingblue

Its wonderful for the players and their families to win this league but it means very little to the club.
The main aim of the u23s should be to provide players for the first  team. Ajax probably have the most successful football academy in Europe. Their youth teams are famous for playing the same system as the first team so that when they get into the first team they are ready to slot straight in. They are currently 7th in their youth league but have provided 11 players in the current Ajax first team (5 of these are regular starters in the first XI)
Of the team that won the PL2 two seasons ago, 4 are currently in our first team and DCL is the only one that can be considered a regular starter in the first XI

To be fair, its much easier to step up to the Eridevisie than it is to the Premier League. The PL is the fastest/most demanding league in the world, and no clubs have several youngsters stepping up from the same crop.

April 16, 2019, 09:49:51 PM
Reply #1234

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I have to return some videotapes.

Vamos l Everton!

April 16, 2019, 11:12:45 PM
Reply #1235

gizzblue

https://twitter.com/LewisGippa3/status/1118128173282205696

Was great last night ...can see him and a couple of others making the full squad myself ...Bowler Sambou maybe even Feeney ...but they need to be looking to go out on loan next season and get some good minutes .
Born not made a blue .

April 17, 2019, 03:39:16 PM
Reply #1236

GrantyBoy78

Gibson did cost us 6m which for a youth team player is nuts, even in these times. Youd like to think hed be nailed-on to be a first teamer. Seems to be on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using NSNO Everton Forums

April 17, 2019, 03:47:21 PM
Reply #1237

Alanvideo

Was great last night ...can see him and a couple of others making the full squad myself ...Bowler Sambou maybe even Feeney ...but they need to be looking to go out on loan next season and get some good minutes .
..............Sambou is out of contract in June  ,I thought I read somewhere he was being released ?
We are special ,we are Everton.

April 17, 2019, 04:39:07 PM
Reply #1238

Toddacelli

Can't believe people are arsed about the siren at this game - it was a potential title-winning game ffs! The lads deserved it.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 17, 2019, 05:06:04 PM
Reply #1239

stirlingblue

..............Sambou is out of contract in June  ,I thought I read somewhere he was being released ?

Yeah, Sambou isnt making it in the PL, not enough to his all round game

April 17, 2019, 05:29:31 PM
Reply #1240

Hesmenos

Gibson did cost us 6m which for a youth team player is nuts, even in these times. Youd like to think hed be nailed-on to be a first teamer. Seems to be on the right track.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was 1M with a potential to cost 6M. I imagine some of the addons would include first team appearances

April 17, 2019, 06:44:07 PM
Reply #1241

Ross

Youd hope that the vast majority of that was made up by target related payments and the initial fee was much lower.

But guess its hard to be sure given weve been so blas with money these past few years.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

April 29, 2019, 05:46:19 PM
Reply #1242

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Watching the U23s tonight at West Ham. Most interested to watch Lewis Gibson given the U23s incredible defensive record, and whether he might be sent out on loan next year to test him more.

May 01, 2019, 07:53:25 PM
Reply #1243

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Nice article on Sambou by the Echo: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-martinez-transfer-who-aiming-16207604

Some thoughts on the under 23s 2-1 defeat against West Ham on Monday evening:

- We rested 3 key players (Bowler, Sambou and Virginia) and it showed. West Ham needed to win to avoid relegation, and also had 2 first teamers in there, so was always going to be difficult.

- Fraser Hornby is Andy Carroll in disguise. Big lad up top, with little skill - can't see him making it with us based on this
- Josh Bowler - when he came on, we instantly looked better. Good speed and skill, and is physically powerful. Would like to see him in and around the first team for cup games next year.
- Lewis Gibson - Generally impressive. The first goal conceded was a result of West Ham playing Diangana on the right hand side, and he ripped Galloway apart. The second was from a shot outside the box, and little he could do.

- London Stadium - Its dreadful. For anyone that hasn't been, the lower tier and top tier are separate from eachother, segregated by scaffolding in the middle (lower tier moves back for Athletics Events).

May 04, 2019, 10:58:15 PM
Reply #1244

BlueForYou

Double is on!

U23's in Cup Final after 2-0 semi-final win against Swansea with goals from Hornby and Sambou
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick