November 23, 2017, 10:59:28 PM

Author Topic: Everton v Burnley  (Read 11403 times)

April 12, 2017, 04:14:34 PM
Reply #45

Toddacelli

Will be good to get a look at Keane up against Lukaku.

Depends. 

If they're both up for it and competing well, it will be great. If Keane does too well though, there'll be a lot of 'one of Rom's quiet days' days shouts and if Rom does have a quiet day there'll be a lot of 'wasn't really tested' shouts.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 12, 2017, 04:16:44 PM
Reply #46

Lxxx

Depends. 

If they're both up for it and competing well, it will be great. If Keane does too well though, there'll be a lot of 'one of Rom's quiet days' days shouts and if Rom does have a quiet day there'll be a lot of 'wasn't really tested' shouts.

We're a well balanced bunch aren't we? Guaranteed to find the negative in every scenario.

April 12, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Reply #47

Jamokachi

They are unachievable and I don't think it's fair to say 'well these two have played 100 more games at a top level' because they're both worlds apart from him. What about other Europa level keepers? What about the average?

Set achievable goals and understand what lane we're in.

I don't think he is our number 1 personally, but we're not getting a courtois unless walshy's got one up his sleeve.

But the point is; we want to be challenging at the top. Can we do that with Robles in goal? Doubtful, because he's nowhere near the level required. The other point being that he doesn't have as much potential because he's older. It's harsh on the lad yes, but we're looking for better.

The model to follow is Spurs. They went out and bought Loris when they were in a similar position to where we are now. They didn't buy him because he was a solid mid-table keeper who might be good at Europa league level. They bought him because he was and is champions league quality... and might be the basis to a league title push, as he is proving.

April 12, 2017, 06:25:39 PM
Reply #48

Lxxx

I must admit my knowledge of goalkeepers around is shite. I know Robles isn't good enough but I haven't a clue who we could go for instead. I'll leave that to the Football Manager boys.

April 12, 2017, 06:43:03 PM
Reply #49

hill135

Robles is shit.

April 12, 2017, 06:48:18 PM
Reply #50

Gash

Global Moderator
Open the summer transfer thread ;)

Or just start a Michael Keane thread. ;)

People will eventually get the idea.

April 12, 2017, 07:57:55 PM
Reply #51

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah just want to be clear I'm not pushing for Robles to be our main man, hes a good shot stopper but his pants are getting pulled down a bit regularly for my liking.

I just wanted some comparison to actually comparable keepers rather than superstar prodigies, and @Rhys has provided that above so cool.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 12, 2017, 09:39:23 PM
Reply #52

kramer0

Burnley's defensive tactics are pretty interesting. This video shows some examples of how their defenders position themselves to make the target smaller for the attacker. It helps explain why Heaton makes so many saves (he has less area to cover on the shots that get through) and why the defenders block so many shots (when attackers still aim for the corners).

Here's the full article I pulled that from (for those interested).

http://statsbomb.com/2017/02/burnley-doing-it-differently/

Burnley appear fortunate when you look at simple shots for/against but when you really break it down, they're making a deliberate choice to concede a high number of lower-quality chances. It might not be the prettiest football but I have a ton of respect for what Dyche has accomplished. Burnley's wage budget is comfortably the worst in the division but they've managed to stay on the fringes of the relegation battle all season long. Clubs like Stoke and West Ham must look at the table and think "how the fuck are we behind them on goal difference?"

April 12, 2017, 09:55:33 PM
Reply #53

Lxxx

Burnley's defensive tactics are pretty interesting. This video shows some examples of how their defenders position themselves to make the target smaller for the attacker. It helps explain why Heaton makes so many saves (he has less area to cover on the shots that get through) and why the defenders block so many shots (when attackers still aim for the corners).

Here's the full article I pulled that from (for those interested).

http://statsbomb.com/2017/02/burnley-doing-it-differently/

Burnley appear fortunate when you look at simple shots for/against but when you really break it down, they're making a deliberate choice to concede a high number of lower-quality chances. It might not be the prettiest football but I have a ton of respect for what Dyche has accomplished. Burnley's wage budget is comfortably the worst in the division but they've managed to stay on the fringes of the relegation battle all season long. Clubs like Stoke and West Ham must look at the table and think "how the fuck are we behind them on goal difference?"

So should we sign Sean Dyche then?

April 12, 2017, 10:11:23 PM
Reply #54

kramer0

So should we sign Sean Dyche then?

I think it's a good sign that Keane does so well in such an organized defensive system. Perhaps it masks some of his weaknesses (pace possibly?) but it also requires a lot of tactical intelligence. I doubt Dyche's system would work if he didn't have players that were smart/focused enough to execute it. That sort of intelligence is, more likely than not, transferable to Everton, especially given our much improved defensive structure.

I'd be worried about Keane transitioning if we played a more open style, like under Martinez. That required a lot of 1 v. 1 defending in space which is a big part of why Stones/Jagielka/Funes Mori all took turns looking foolish. Stones continues to struggle with this at City where, despite being more organized than Martinez's Everton side, they still leave a lot of space for counters.

April 12, 2017, 11:44:35 PM
Reply #55

sam of the south

I think it's a good sign that Keane does so well in such an organized defensive system. Perhaps it masks some of his weaknesses (pace possibly?) but it also requires a lot of tactical intelligence. I doubt Dyche's system would work if he didn't have players that were smart/focused enough to execute it. That sort of intelligence is, more likely than not, transferable to Everton, especially given our much improved defensive structure.

I'd be worried about Keane transitioning if we played a more open style, like under Martinez. That required a lot of 1 v. 1 defending in space which is a big part of why Stones/Jagielka/Funes Mori all took turns looking foolish. Stones continues to struggle with this at City where, despite being more organized than Martinez's Everton side, they still leave a lot of space for counters.

Does Keane lack pace, then?
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 13, 2017, 12:17:47 AM
Reply #56

kramer0

Does Keane lack pace, then?

I genuinely have no idea. It's just an example of what Dyche's system could hide.

April 13, 2017, 01:32:33 AM
Reply #57

BlueForYou

Go for Andre Gray

Anything Jamie Vardy can do........................... ........
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

April 13, 2017, 02:33:38 AM
Reply #58

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Go for Andre Gray

Anything Jamie Vardy can do........................... ........

I liked the look of him last year and if I remember correctly @TheRam rated him about 2 years ago, but he hasn't blown me over when I've watched him recently.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 13, 2017, 02:50:38 AM
Reply #59

BlueForYou

Not recently? Don't speak too soon......................... .

4-1 Everton - Gray for them!

Good player
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick