July 16, 2018, 11:54:57 PM

Author Topic: Mason Holgate  (Read 10836 times)

April 25, 2017, 06:37:34 PM
Reply #45

Toddacelli

He just doesn't look like he has the frame to be a centre half for me. I know he will fill out but he looks to be a couple of inches shorter than you'd like your centre backs to be.
I know Williams isn't tall but he was just a stop gap signing. When laying down a marker for the future you'd ideally like your centre half for the next X number of years to be more commanding in stature. For all Stones' faults he was a presence. 
Just my thoughts anyway.

Google says he's just over 6ft but I'm not sure how much of that is his Kid'n'Play haircut (one for the oldies!)

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 25, 2017, 07:01:05 PM
Reply #46

Rodenplav64

Think it is a position we are very strong in . We are all anxious to see Coleman come back as good as ever but Holgate can eventually take over from Seamus . Still a bit rusty with his positioning at times but has the talent to improve massively with experience .

April 25, 2017, 07:02:54 PM
Reply #47

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think it is a position we are very strong in . We are all anxious to see Coleman come back as good as ever but Holgate can eventually take over from Seamus . Still a bit rusty with his positioning at times but has the talent to improve massively with experience .

Shown zero going forward beyond tidy ball playing abilities, and plays absolutely nothing like Seamus or any top RB.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 25, 2017, 08:17:07 PM
Reply #48

TheTone

Shown zero going forward beyond tidy ball playing abilities, and plays absolutely nothing like Seamus or any top RB.

tidy would sum him up, doesn't have the  pace to get past a left back and whip in a cross , you see him lots of times getting only so far forward then realising he can't go any further , turns around and plays the ball backwards or sideways, doing a decent job though at right back and the experience will help him along in his development

April 25, 2017, 08:24:13 PM
Reply #49

smellybum

He is also still a kid, learning his trade. Not all full backs need to bomb on. Look at CÚsar Azpilicueta when he played in the full back role, hardly ever saw him crossing the half way line. Certainly never stopped Chelsea being a threat attacking teams. The problem we have is we have relied on our full backs to be the creative force in the team. Hopefully if we do buy more creative players up top then the need for full backs to get forward will be lessened, therefore negating the need for Holgate to actually master this role and he can concentrate on defending and maybe being a move starter and not a move creator.

April 25, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
Reply #50

Rodenplav64

Didn't say he did play like Shamus . Also said he will improve but hey fuck it , sell him hes shit !

April 25, 2017, 10:13:44 PM
Reply #51

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Didn't say he did play like Shamus . Also said he will improve but hey fuck it , sell him hes shit !

To be fair, you said he can take over from Coleman which is a very log shot considering how limited he is going forward.

He's doing a decent job there for the time being but he ain't no Coleman and never will be.

Still, that's not to say he isn't talented because he is. He's just learning his own game at the moment.

April 25, 2017, 11:27:43 PM
Reply #52

Rodenplav64

To be fair, you said he can take over from Coleman which is a very log shot considering how limited he is going forward.

He's doing a decent job there for the time being but he ain't no Coleman and never will be.

Still, that's not to say he isn't talented because he is. He's just learning his own game at the moment.

To be fair he could take over from Coleman without being Coleman but I take your point .

April 26, 2017, 12:15:13 AM
Reply #53

MmmBlueRamirez

Google says he's just over 6ft but I'm not sure how much of that is his Kid'n'Play haircut (one for the oldies!)

Head like a rocket, put his finger in the socket, punk motherfucker called holgate
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

April 26, 2017, 12:16:48 AM
Reply #54

MmmBlueRamirez

So, we've established he's not a right back, despite KHLs protestations.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

April 26, 2017, 12:36:50 AM
Reply #55

sam of the south

I'm with @Lxxx on this one.

He doesn't seem tall enough, nor built sturdily enough to be a really successful Centre-Back in this league.

I know he can pack on some muscle, but his frame is small, and just over 6ft is on the short side.

I know Cannavaro and Puyol were both excellent, but neither plied their trade over here.

Just spitballing here, but maybe down the line he could do an Eric Dier and slot into a Defensive/Holding Midfield role.
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

April 26, 2017, 12:57:28 AM
Reply #56

Bigstickytoffee

Head like a rocket, put his finger in the socket, punk motherfucker called holgate

House Party!!! Wicked film!!!!!!

April 26, 2017, 01:38:22 AM
Reply #57

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Kevin Ratcliffe less than 6ft, Dave Watson 6ft, Phil Jagielka 6ft. Height isn't massively important

April 26, 2017, 01:42:56 AM
Reply #58

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I'm sure in the past we've had this debate about how tall he actually is.

He is taller than Williams and Jags, slightly taller or same as Mori and slightly smaller or the same as Stones.
His height isn't an issue for a CB.

"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

April 26, 2017, 01:45:16 AM
Reply #59

Corinthian

I'd like to see J.J. Kenny in the RB position with Holgate moving inside to CB for a couple of games. I think has J.J. has more potential than Holgate in that position.