December 15, 2018, 12:26:09 PM

Author Topic: Zonal marking on set plays and corners  (Read 857 times)

July 27, 2018, 10:27:02 PM
Reply #15

Toddacelli

Nothing wrong with zonal marking as a tactic, does my head in when you hear pundits acting like it's some kind of affront to "proper" defending. I mean how frequently do defenders lose the man they're marking, but you'll never hear them saying "man marking is a load of rubbish" every time that happens.

That said it needs practice and it needs the players to understand their roles and to command their zone. It's not surprising that it's not working great after just a handful of friendlies, it needs time to make it work.

I think putting our defensive problems down to zonal marking is a big red herring to be honest.

I'll probably get slated for comparing the White Lion Old Boys to Prem teams like, but....

Zonal worked well for us to a point - it became really effective when we put our best defender on their biggest goal threat and had everyone else attack the ball from their zones.

So what I'm really about to get a kicking for is saying - 'Can't we have a bit of both?'

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

July 27, 2018, 11:13:53 PM
Reply #16

Rodenplav64

Watfrod were a bit shit defensively . I suppose their defenders weren't good enough . Ours on the other hand ..

July 27, 2018, 11:15:41 PM
Reply #17

Rodenplav64

I'll probably get slated for comparing the White Lion Old Boys to Prem teams like, but....

Zonal worked well for us to a point - it became really effective when we put our best defender on their biggest goal threat and had everyone else attack the ball from their zones.

So what I'm really about to get a kicking for is saying - 'Can't we have a bit of both?'

As a tactic I have always found " some cunt get his head on the ball " mentality from your defence works rather well .

July 28, 2018, 12:31:06 AM
Reply #18

Toddacelli

As a tactic I have always found " some cunt get his head on the ball " mentality from your defence works rather well .

I pretty much was that cunt

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates