October 16, 2018, 05:53:07 PM

Author Topic: Summer Spending  (Read 162223 times)

May 16, 2017, 09:28:00 PM
Reply #105

kramer0

Iheanacho is that good. Well worth the investment for 20m.

He'll be near or at Lukaku's level with regular game time and good coaching.

May 16, 2017, 09:36:26 PM
Reply #106

Robioto

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-transfer-gossip-iheanacho-13035694

We really should be all over him for 20m.

Nolito going for 3m too, and Donnarumma for 20m? Bargains.

I'd be chuffed with Iheanacho, exactly what we should be going for. Young with room to improve and to an extent proven at the top level.

Never thought he'd even be available, so it never crossed my mind as an option.

May 16, 2017, 10:01:24 PM
Reply #107

Hawkandro

I genuinely hope we express an interest, though I can see the lure of Dortmund being too much to ignore.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

May 16, 2017, 10:12:02 PM
Reply #108

Rhys

Is Iheanacho that good though? Can't say I've seen enough of him to judge

Not great for me at this point.

He looks a good finisher but he doesnt seem like a player that is capable of playing up front on his own. A few times i've watched him closely when he has started to see what he is like and he really does offer very little when he isnt around the box. It's the reason in my opinion why he only comes on late in games or when City need a goal. Pep started him in a few games when Aguero was out but there have been plenty of times he would rather play De Bruyne up there on his own over him. Big parts of the games went by without him being involved.

He's only started 5 games this season and come on 14 which considering they have only had him and Aguero for most of the season and Aguero has only started just over half the games this season himself says he struggles to play well from the start and have an impact outside of scoring.

Someone like him might be ok depending on who else we bought as a goalscoring option if we had the money to buy a few forwards, but not for replacing Lukaku. He is young and not played a huge amount of first team football so does have time to improve but my concern about him on his own is how hard it would be for the team to play with him if you dont have a team that keeps the ball very well.

May 16, 2017, 10:34:16 PM
Reply #109

Lxxx

A load of his goals seemed to be coming off the bench to finish games off, although he can't be blamed for making the best of what few opportunities he's had.
The truth is no-one knows how good he is as he's never had the opportunity to show it consistently and 20m is the new standard fee for anyone young and half decent, so maybe worth a shot if Lukaku goes along with another more experienced striker.

May 16, 2017, 10:37:47 PM
Reply #110

BlueNoseMike

Not great for me at this point.

He looks a good finisher but he doesnt seem like a player that is capable of playing up front on his own. A few times i've watched him closely when he has started to see what he is like and he really does offer very little when he isnt around the box.

Sounds very much like a young version of Lukaku then doesn't he?

May 16, 2017, 10:47:39 PM
Reply #111

sam of the south

If you had the choice of us getting Iheanacho for 20m or Abraham for the same price, who would you prefer?
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

May 16, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
Reply #112

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Summer spending, having a blast.

May 16, 2017, 11:02:46 PM
Reply #113

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Summer spending, having a blast.

Summer spending, happened so fast (hopefully)
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 16, 2017, 11:03:30 PM
Reply #114

D15TIN

Batshuayi should be on our shopping list if lukaku goes

May 16, 2017, 11:22:21 PM
Reply #115

kramer0

If you had the choice of us getting Iheanacho for 20m or Abraham for the same price, who would you prefer?

Tough question. They both look special.

Abraham played starter's minutes for Bristol City. His attacking output is roughly in line with Iheanacho's (expected goals per shot, expected goals per 90) when you consider the substitute boost Ihenacho gets. His creative output (open play key passes, expected assists per 90) isn't anywhere near Iheancho which makes sense when you consider the clubs they play for (Bristol City bad, City good). He's a little more careful with the ball than Iheanacho (dispossessed) but against weaker opposition.

Iheanacho played primarily as a substitute so his numbers are probably inflated from playing against tired defenses and the conversions to per 90. I'm not sure whether playing in such a strong side is a mark for or against him. He gets dispossessed somewhat frequently but that's not so surprising when you consider that he's put into a lot of situations where City desperately need a goal. Everything that he's done has been against PL defenses which bodes well for future success. Abraham played in a good league but only has a handful of top flight minutes to his name.

As far as young, talented penalty-box predators go, I don't think you can go wrong with either player. I'd be made up if we added one of these two. I think they're the closest we can get to replacing Lukaku (development required obviously; we can't sign someone as good as Rom is today because players like that just aren't available).

May 17, 2017, 12:42:00 AM
Reply #116

Thornton_19

I fucking love your analysis Kramer0, top poster.

May 17, 2017, 12:45:01 AM
Reply #117

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Tough question. They both look special.

Abraham played starter's minutes for Bristol City. His attacking output is roughly in line with Iheanacho's (expected goals per shot, expected goals per 90) when you consider the substitute boost Ihenacho gets. His creative output (open play key passes, expected assists per 90) isn't anywhere near Iheancho which makes sense when you consider the clubs they play for (Bristol City bad, City good). He's a little more careful with the ball than Iheanacho (dispossessed) but against weaker opposition.

Iheanacho played primarily as a substitute so his numbers are probably inflated from playing against tired defenses and the conversions to per 90. I'm not sure whether playing in such a strong side is a mark for or against him. He gets dispossessed somewhat frequently but that's not so surprising when you consider that he's put into a lot of situations where City desperately need a goal. Everything that he's done has been against PL defenses which bodes well for future success. Abraham played in a good league but only has a handful of top flight minutes to his name.

As far as young, talented penalty-box predators go, I don't think you can go wrong with either player. I'd be made up if we added one of these two. I think they're the closest we can get to replacing Lukaku (development required obviously; we can't sign someone as good as Rom is today because players like that just aren't available).

Really think you should get blogging on these things. there is money to be made for you. lots of it.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Cenk Tosun, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

May 17, 2017, 12:51:13 AM
Reply #118

Rhys

Sounds very much like a young version of Lukaku then doesn't he?

The difference is Lukaku is a more natural physical presence and while he needed to, and still has room to improve, around being a top focal point for the team he has the physical ability to be a dominant forward and when he has games where he is on top form he is a world class all round forward and that was true when he was 19/20 as well.

Iheanacho may well only be a couple of inches smaller than rom but he isnt as an imposing figure. And the criticism I have sometimes with rom would be he doesnt make the most of situations when the ball goes into him as in should hold it better rather than attempt a quick lay off, or should win a free kick rather than try and hold up an impossible ball. With Iheanacho when watching him it was that he wasnt getting balls into him to lose, he wasnt giving good options for the midfield to play it to him he just wasnt involved which is crucial if you are the lone striker.

The other big difference is the type of goals they both score or have scored so far. We know rom this season especially, but over his career can score left foot, right foot, headers, goals from outside the box, free kicks. If he gets a chance on his left you dont think he will miss, if has a chance with his head you expect him to score 70% of the time say and if it was on his right it might go down to 50% but the reason he scores so consistently is it doesnt really matter how the chances to fall to him. With Iheanacho it's something like 90% of his goals have been with his left foot, only has 1 header and 1 right footed goal. I know rom is better than nearly everyone at spreading how he gets his goals and not everyone is strong on all but as a lone forward it's a big weakness if you need a chances to fall in one manner.

To add roms spread for his 84 PL goals are 41 left foot, 24 right foot and 18 headers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:53:11 AM by Rhys »

May 17, 2017, 12:53:11 AM
Reply #119

van der Meyde

Keen for us to follow Atletico Madrid's example of spending big money on strikers, so I'd definitely take a punt on Iheanacho or Abraham if we could convince either of them to come.

They might be flawed or not the end product, but despite Moshiri's money we should always be trying to sign players to develop and sell for mega-money when the opportunity arises.

Developing a 20+ a season striker like that is probably our best route to mixing it with the big boys (See Vardy, Kane, all of Atletico Madrid's most recent). We should probably supplement it with whomever we can get that's more established too, like, obviously as Monaco, Atletico and Dortmund have all done to an extent over the last 10 years, by that's the model I'd go for.