December 12, 2018, 05:36:02 PM

Author Topic: Summer Spending  (Read 169912 times)

July 10, 2017, 01:01:06 AM
Reply #45

KoemansNumberTens

Well I think in Spain there was only ever a Top Two for years, although Atletico are now also thought of as the next bracket below.

And anyone who doesn't think that this is an indicator of how the PL is better than La Liga can stick it up their jumper!

Well I think in Spain there was only ever a Top Two for years, although Atletico are now also thought of as the next bracket below.

And anyone who doesn't think that this is an indicator of how the PL is better than La Liga can stick it up their jumper!

The problem with that argument is if you switched them 2 (or even 3) for the bottom 3 sides in England. They'd only be a 2 or 3 here. It's competitive because there are currently no great teams
Also over the history of the premier league the number of different sides that have won both leagues and the number of different sides that have qualified for the champions league are very similar
More competitive yes but does that equate to better when there's not a single great team

Also.... Chelsea walked it last season. Leicester walked it the season before. Been tight races in recent times in Spain. All be it between the same fantastic sides

July 10, 2017, 07:39:36 PM
Reply #46

KoemansNumberTens

I guess it's a player that the top sides would want. I'm not convinced we can really attract a marquee player. Think we are in a situation where we can attract the best players still with question marks against them
Someone from Italy but not juve, someone from the Portugal, maybe some from Germany but not Bayern or Dortmund. The top draw players though are willing to wait for a better offer

July 11, 2017, 07:14:51 PM
Reply #47

KoemansNumberTens

Nobody is seriously suggesting we can compete for Morata or Aguero, but there are plenty of players we could get who could potentially become Champions League quality players.

Leicester bought and developed Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. Spurs bought and developed Eriksen, Alli and Walker. Southampton bought Van Dijk and Mane.

There are good, young players around Europe with a lot of potential we could buy and develop in to Champions League quality players.

Buying too many players who are 28+ will see us fall even further behind long term because these players have already proven they're not good enough for where we want to be.

That list is a bit odd. Kante, Vardy, Mahrez, Walker, Ali, VVD, Mane??? These weren't considered great signings when they were made. Most of who we've signed have come with bigger reputations. You've just cherry picked success stories. I'd rather Klassen than someone with Mahrezs career stats. I'd rather Keane than a totally unproven centre half from Celtic.
You're talking about the players they became rather than the business they did at the time and just picked out all the successes 

July 20, 2017, 07:37:06 PM
Reply #48

KoemansNumberTens

Because thats what is exciting about football....we have never had money to spend and so this is all relatively new to us as fans. A player that Atletico wanted, might be coming to us? Fuck yes heads will fall off and hysteria levels will increase when the ups and downs of a transfer unfurl. Its exciting and new and yes perhaps over the top but dont look down on anyone showing contrasting emotions.

Was a genuine transfer saga. Cheap price, wanted by real and atletico, played for Barca. Lots of twists and turns. Bound to be lots of interest. There were plots and sub plots. Like you say exciting

July 20, 2017, 09:13:25 PM
Reply #49

KoemansNumberTens

We are desperate for a winger. Without 1 we are relying on bolasie coming back quickly and at 100% and lookman being ready. Neither is certain

July 20, 2017, 10:32:05 PM
Reply #50

KoemansNumberTens

Not sure we need one as desperately as a centre forward.

No probably not. I was comparing it to another centre half. Forward winger centre back. Was quite impressed with the young left back last night. Wouldn't be too worried if he was Baines cover

Not Sigurdsson's biggest fan but I'm not sure we need another attacking midfielder anyway. Least not anywhere near the top of our list

July 21, 2017, 02:00:26 AM
Reply #51

KoemansNumberTens

Fair play to Connolly, he was decent against dubious oposition, especially considering he is a right back. But I'll shit bricks if he is the only Baines cover.

Is he normally a right back? Didn't realise. Probably not the wisest to go without cover then

July 21, 2017, 04:16:26 AM
Reply #52

KoemansNumberTens

You'd rather have someone who might be good than someone who's already proven they are good?

Someone who might be great rather than someone who's proven he's only good

July 21, 2017, 07:56:31 PM
Reply #53

KoemansNumberTens

The extension of the guaranteed good 50m vs gamble on higher potential 25 x 2 is that of course it's not 50:50 that if one of the gambles fail, the other is bound to succeed.

I don't think it's so much the gambles people want more they rate the 50m player at 25-30m. They think the safe bet is a certain big loss in terms of value

July 23, 2017, 03:52:57 PM
Reply #54

KoemansNumberTens

You can see why Moshiri is investing so heavily in the U-23's. It's becoming virtually impossible to do any sensible transfer business anymore with the amount of money in the game.

I know the net spend wankers will be out in force in every window with their calculators trying to prove we're not actually getting anywhere but clearly this is a medium to long term plan we're on and it won't be jeopardised by QPR-esque spending. Which I applaud.

Much rather we walked away from the ridiculous deals and invested in youth and infastructure

July 23, 2017, 07:36:14 PM
Reply #55

KoemansNumberTens

We weren't playing with wingers then either.

Is there a great deal of difference in terms of skill set between a winger and a wide forward?

July 23, 2017, 09:48:25 PM
Reply #56

KoemansNumberTens

Not really, although you'd probably class someone who has very little goal threat, like Bolasie, as a winger as opposed to someone like Sandro who essentially plays in the same position on the other flank, or a Mirallas from a few years ago, as a wide forward, as they have/had a desire to get on the scoresheet.

I do think we are in danger of just playing strikers and attacking central midfielders in the wide forward positions. I think the 2 vital things are width and pace. Not sure rooney or Sigurdsson should be playing in the position very often. Puzzles me that we are looking to spend 50m on a player who is at least in part similar to rooney and klassen when getting a worldclass winger with that money would transform our team.

July 25, 2017, 11:36:21 PM
Reply #57

KoemansNumberTens

Chinese super league is on the verge of collapse. Anyone we fancy? http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/10-players-chinese-super-league-10867053

July 26, 2017, 11:19:20 PM
Reply #58

KoemansNumberTens

If we don't get a winger (and it looks like we aren't even looking for 1 now) a lot of our season will rest on bolasies recovery and lookmans ability to make a big contribution to the first team.

August 02, 2017, 04:39:04 PM
Reply #59

KoemansNumberTens

Now realist is here am I a moderate?