July 16, 2018, 02:56:01 AM

Author Topic: Kieran Dowell  (Read 23893 times)

July 14, 2017, 03:17:18 PM
Read 23893 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Dowell needs lots of matches vs proper players to learn how to get round not being that strong and not that quick.

Osman would be the best example here so it might be a couple of years before Dowell is properly ready.

July 20, 2017, 12:21:07 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Looks ideal for the left side in front of Baines.

Looks like he'd be much more comfortable cutting in to shoot from the right. Would also limit exposure to a lack of pace as he wouldn't have to go down the outside as often plus easier to play a reverse ball to an overlapping RB using his left foot rather than the opposite on the other side.

October 29, 2017, 10:19:05 AM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
In fairness, one person was moaning that he did nothing apart from win the game with a hat-trick, including two class goals. Sounded like an Evertonian.

But this is a fair point!

@Jimmywhack has mentioned this for a while re Dowell; there is a sizeable portion of our fan base that would be quite capable of saying something very similar to that.

December 17, 2017, 02:40:20 AM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Deflection?

Yeah I’d like to see it from behind the goal.

The fact that the keeper didn’t move suggests it took a slightly different flight to what he expected.

December 17, 2017, 02:43:59 AM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Either that or the keeper couldn't be bothered to move.

Yeah he was a fair bit off his line so he could have just given up.

December 17, 2017, 04:03:04 PM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No point in bringing Dowell back. What he’s doing is the idea of the loan in the first place so why stop it?

December 17, 2017, 04:03:56 PM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I’ve seen faster lollipop men over 10 yards.

It’s more that he does a lot of running.

Dowell can drift through games which doesn’t go down well with sections of the fan base...

January 08, 2018, 04:28:27 AM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yes. The only manager to manage to get a tune out of him.

As I say, he's likes his attacking flair players. They just have to show they'll fit into his system and they'll get game time.

Yeah I’d say the “issue” is that he sets up the team to be solid and then wants one of the flair players to do something to win the game; rather than constant attacking etc.

January 31, 2018, 07:59:55 PM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The championship is a better League than most of the European Leagues yet most fans would sooner see us buy an overpriced player from a very inferior League . Dowell has been asked more questions playing for Forest than Klassen say playing in the Dutch League . Yes Klassen had European experience but most of his games for Ajax were at a lower level than the championship . Besic playing for Ferencvaros hardly tested him week in week out certainly from a fitness level . So up the level of fitness and consistency needed and he is shot to fuck . Some of our best players in the past gained there most valuable experience in our lower Leagues . Coleman , Osman , Lescott , Baines , Cahill and Jagielka off the top of my head . Dowell deserves the same chance as Barkley , DCL , Kenny , Holgate .

Yes got no problem with him learning there as the experience is much more relevant to going on to the PL.

What we need to know is, is he doing anything that wouldn’t be expected?

As in, we know he’s got (spectacular) goals in him from u23 level and pre season games.

But what number of situations does he need to get those goals etc.

For me when Osman was at Derby, it looked like he was heavily influencing the play. Does Dowell do that or is it flashes of inspiration?

If he needs lots of situations and goals come out of the blue then we shouldn’t be rushing him to our first team squad, only to play 2 LC games.

He’s not fast so he needs experience to know how to get round that.