June 19, 2018, 04:05:10 PM

Author Topic: What to do with Besic?  (Read 14064 times)

August 20, 2017, 06:13:57 AM
Reply #105

Heisenberg

Besic will be great if he can remain fit for a long period. Good on the ball and strong in the tackle. I think some people are writing him off because he has tattoos like heitenga

August 20, 2017, 06:15:34 AM
Reply #106

Realist

Besic will be great if he can remain fit for a long period. Good on the ball and strong in the tackle. I think some people are writing him off because he has tattoos like heitenga

He'll never be great he's average and never fit

August 20, 2017, 06:16:19 AM
Reply #107

Heisenberg

That is why I said if he remains fit...

August 20, 2017, 06:49:19 AM
Reply #108

MrWhite

Yeah the Premier League and Hungarian League are about level in terms of quality and competitiveness aren't they. There must have been loads of Evertonians that watched it when Besic played there too.

Pretty sure I'd have much better passing stats playing in Hungary than I would in the PL.
Wasn't his point about style, not quality or competitiveness? Indeed twice he said specifically not quality.

August 20, 2017, 07:00:33 AM
Reply #109

BlueBeagle

Wasn't his point about style, not quality or competitiveness? Indeed twice he said specifically not quality.

If he'd said "He's not a destroyer" then alright fine, no issue.

What I don't understand is how can he then class Besic as a cultured ball player instead when nobody has ever seen him play a 'cultured ball' in 3 years?

The quality argument makes no sense. Surely there's no such thing as a poor quality cultured ball player, it's practically an oxymoron.

August 20, 2017, 07:18:49 AM
Reply #110

MrWhite

If he'd said "He's not a destroyer" then alright fine, no issue.

What I don't understand is how can he then class Besic as a cultured ball player instead when nobody has ever seen him play a 'cultured ball' in 3 years?

The quality argument makes no sense. Surely there's no such thing as a poor quality cultured ball player, it's practically an oxymoron.
I guess it depends on your definition of cultured. From your reply you are defining it as inclusive of a certain level of quality. From MC's posts he seems to be classing it as attempted style (so passing/creation as opposed to hoofball, for example). I haven't watched the video he posted, but for the context of the posts I'm guessing it shows passes rather than punts?

August 20, 2017, 03:16:46 PM
Reply #111

Lxxx

People clearly see what they want to see in Besic.

August 20, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Reply #112

Toddacelli

I like that he always wants the ball, always works hard, always gets stuck in, has bags of pace, reads the game defensively very well and has no fear but most of all I really like how he always tries to go forward when he wins possession - either with a forward pass or with the ball at his feet.

Having said all that, his tackles aren't always well-timed, he can lose it and lash out, he can be undone by trying over-complicated shit in front of our goal and for such a passionate competitor he is far too easily knocked off the ball.

I like him. If he stays injury free, gets some minutes on the pitch and works on the weaker aspects of his game then he'll be more than a decent squad player this season as we compete in the league, league cup, UEFA and FA cups.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 20, 2017, 05:42:22 PM
Reply #113

Trublue

Good cover for centre midfield and ok cover for central defence. If we get through to the Europea league, group stages we'll need him

August 20, 2017, 06:46:16 PM
Reply #114

Lxxx

Good cover for centre midfield and ok cover for central defence. If we get through to the Europea league, group stages we'll need him

I wouldn't say we'll need him. He might prove useful should we get desperate but I don't think we'll ever be in a position to need whatever he has to offer.

August 20, 2017, 07:45:23 PM
Reply #115

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
I'd sooner have a proper defender as defensive cover and a proper midfielder as midfield cover. It's been 4 years now, we can do better.

August 20, 2017, 08:31:34 PM
Reply #116

Redartin

I think it doesn't matter what the lad does from now on he is fucked as far as some members of the forum are concerned because he is a another reminder of the Martinez era.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think, it is what Koeman sees in training, and so far he must be seeing something worthwhile because he is not offering him on a BOGOF deal with Barkley or Niasse.

August 20, 2017, 08:46:13 PM
Reply #117

Lxxx

I think it doesn't matter what the lad does from now on he is fucked as far as some members of the forum are concerned because he is a another reminder of the Martinez era.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think, it is what Koeman sees in training, and so far he must be seeing something worthwhile because he is not offering him on a BOGOF deal with Barkley or Niasse.

No-one on here wants him to fail for the sake of it. It's just that many don't see any evidence of anything that might suggest he'll succeed.

August 20, 2017, 10:48:44 PM
Reply #118

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Seems like a long time since we've seen a good performance from him.

I know it's tough because he doesn't get any minutes but 4 years into his time here and we're still not sure what sort of player he is or what kind of performance we're going to get from him.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 20, 2017, 11:37:05 PM
Reply #119

SANA_DR0

^^ this should be your signature. just exchange he'll with I.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....