November 23, 2017, 06:53:49 PM

Author Topic: England  (Read 3076 times)

November 11, 2017, 04:14:58 AM
Reply #60

Bob Sacamano

This is what I hate about ITV's coverage of England games. Nearly 3 hours for a meaningless friendly, I quick bit of news then another hour of highlights. I'd love to see their viewing figures for this evening. Most of England isn't interested, never mind the rest of the UK.

Found the Scotsman 😉

November 11, 2017, 04:16:43 AM
Reply #61

Bob Sacamano

From the other thread. Didnít realise which I was posting in.

How was Pickford? No mention but clean sheet must be a bonus for him.

RLC looks decent from that end of match summary.

Quite disappointed that they literally cut the interview when the word Jordan was mentioned. 🤔

November 11, 2017, 03:24:42 PM
Reply #62

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair to Southgate, the 3-5-2 does look like it quite suits England and he will be buzzing that the debutants did well last night

I may be biased but I really do think Pickford should be England's number 1. It's a statement for the future and also his quick distribution could help the team with Kane and Alli decent in the air and good pace and width in the wing back areas, as well as the blistering speed of Rashford.Would expect the full strength team to look something like

Pickford

Jones Stones Cahill

Walker.                         Rose

Alli Dier Lallana

Kane Rashford

though I wouldn't be surprised if Sterling was shoehorned in there somewhere. And if Southgate went a bit more conservative and got Henderson in the midfield and pushed Alli up alongside Kane. I do think Alli plays better a bit further back, and also I have a long standing belief that Jordan Henderson is utter shite
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 11, 2017, 04:31:24 PM
Reply #63

Bob Sacamano

Agree on Pickford. I mean I like Butland but heís a better version of Forster. Just a top quality shot stopper thatís solid as fuck. With Pickford you get an extra dimension.

November 11, 2017, 05:35:11 PM
Reply #64

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I hopped on the BBC live updates, and there was a lot of people loving Pickford saying he should be number 1.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 11, 2017, 05:48:57 PM
Reply #65

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
To be fair to Southgate, the 3-5-2 does look like it quite suits England and he will be buzzing that the debutants did well last night

I may be biased but I really do think Pickford should be England's number 1. It's a statement for the future and also his quick distribution could help the team with Kane and Alli decent in the air and good pace and width in the wing back areas, as well as the blistering speed of Rashford.Would expect the full strength team to look something like

Pickford

Jones Stones Cahill

Walker.                         Rose

Alli Dier Lallana

Kane Rashford

though I wouldn't be surprised if Sterling was shoehorned in there somewhere. And if Southgate went a bit more conservative and got Henderson in the midfield and pushed Alli up alongside Kane. I do think Alli plays better a bit further back, and also I have a long standing belief that Jordan Henderson is utter shite

Reckon that's a boss team.

Any decent manager should be able to get this team to the quarter finals at least.

People say this is the worst England team for years, I think the opposite.

Kane and rashford up top, with Alli in behind. Oh yes

November 11, 2017, 06:25:20 PM
Reply #66

velimski

Yea I agree that it's a decent team.

My main concern however is that Henderson will be shoehorned into the team at the expense of a creative player (Lallana, or Wilshire if fit.)

The team would be made up predominantly or Spurs and City players, which is fine. However it's imperative that there's some creativity in the team so that this core of players can replicate something close to their club form - ie having something vaguely similar to David Silva/De Bruyne/Eriksen.

November 11, 2017, 07:57:45 PM
Reply #67

ally2

The problem, as always, will be shoehorning players into an eleven.

The team above looks good, but he'll want Sterling in there and he will play wide right. Then you need the balance but there's no one really good enough who pays naturally on the left. Lallana would be the best option but I think he's better slightly deeper. So then Rashford gets played there. We will never go 4 up front so there's only room for one striker in Kane. Then Alli doesn't fit well into a formation with a front three and a back three and so on.  Same story with every generation. 

November 11, 2017, 08:07:09 PM
Reply #68

velimski

The problem, as always, will be shoehorning players into an eleven.

The team above looks good, but he'll want Sterling in there and he will play wide right. Then you need the balance but there's no one really good enough who pays naturally on the left. Lallana would be the best option but I think he's better slightly deeper. So then Rashford gets played there. We will never go 4 up front so there's only room for one striker in Kane. Then Alli doesn't fit well into a formation with a front three and a back three and so on.  Same story with every generation. 

Width will be provided by the fullbacks in a 3-5-2 formation. The other midfielders would be playing fairly narrow, well certainly not as wingers.

November 11, 2017, 08:14:07 PM
Reply #69

ally2

Width will be provided by the fullbacks in a 3-5-2 formation. The other midfielders would be playing fairly narrow, well certainly not as wingers.

Nor arguing about that. I'm saying that crammibg Sterling in messes it up.

November 11, 2017, 08:37:22 PM
Reply #70

Bluedylan

Think Sterling should be one of the first picks. Having an absolutely brilliant season.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 11, 2017, 08:49:09 PM
Reply #71

Cereal Killer

We all know he'll play 3-5-2 in every friendly up to the tournament, only to suddenly decide 4-5-1 is what's needed on the eve of the tournament  :thumbsup:

November 12, 2017, 03:56:34 AM
Reply #72

Macca77

Solanke called up to the England squad, this just confirms what everyone already knows, its not about how you play its all about who you play for, DCL has played a lot this season, scored some crucial goals and yet doesn't get considered

November 12, 2017, 05:26:37 AM
Reply #73

bluestevie

Was very impressed with Trippier last night, would like to see more of him at right back/wing back than Walker in all honesty. Loftus-Cheek would be a good bench option in Russia as well if he continues his form at Palace
'Diamonds are forever and so are the Horseman' - Arn Anderson

November 12, 2017, 05:36:10 AM
Reply #74

Gash

Global Moderator
Was very impressed with Trippier last night, would like to see more of him at right back/wing back than Walker in all honesty. Loftus-Cheek would be a good bench option in Russia as well if he continues his form at Palace

It's no wonder Spurs sold Walker. They get £50m for a guy who runs fast and they've Trippier waiting to take over who they paid about £4m for. Fantastic deal for Spurs.