November 21, 2017, 10:38:38 AM

Author Topic: Weird, Strange and/or Interesting football facts  (Read 944 times)

September 04, 2017, 04:10:16 AM
Read 944 times

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
You know those weird little coincidences that crop up all the time? Like certain players always score against certain teams (Lukaku v West Ham, Suarez v Norwich), 'bogie' teams, and all the other little jinxes/ironies/big number proofs (depending on your philosophy on 'chance')

Come across a couple the last few days that I thought were worth sharing:

Seamus is one of our best ever bargain buys at £74k* (think everyone would agree with that  ;D) and last year was named in a Blue's 'all time bargain 11' along with alumni such as Big Nev (£530k*) and the only and only Mr Dean (£170k*). Coleman came from Sligo Rovers, who might seem like an unheard of little nobody - but were also the temporary home for Dixie in 1939 (still holds a record there for most goals in a single game).

*values converted into approximate equivalent value in today's money using http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/education/Pages/resources/inflationtools/calculator/default.aspx - it's just a bit of fun  :)

The year that Everton won the title on the back of Dixie's 60 goal record setting season, the runners up that year were Huddersfield town. You never know?  :laugh: Winning the league over 42 games with a mere 20 wins and 9 losses! How times have changed.

Friend of mine told me at the start of the 2010/11 season that we would win the league, based on the iron clad logic that Everton had (until then) invariably won the league every 24th year from the first (1891, 1915, 1939, 1963, 1987). I suppose it's no different from the idea that the dates of family birthdays and anniversaries somehow give you an 'edge' playing the lotto?  lolol
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:12:28 AM by MrWhite »

September 04, 2017, 08:48:43 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

Huddersfield Town are the third "Town" team to play in the Premier League, after Ipswich and Swindon.

This question crops up in quizzes all the time, so a fair bit of updating is needed.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 04, 2017, 11:38:18 PM
Reply #2

SANA_DR0

Mario Balotelli’s only assist in the Premier League was for Sergio Aguero’s title-winning goal vs QPR.

2015/16 was the first time West Ham had recorded a positive goal difference in a top-flight season since 1985/86.

now the funky stuff

Alex Song has 27 siblings – 17 sisters and 10 brothers.

Dundee United have played and beaten Barcelona 4 times in professional fixtures, giving them a 100% win record.

Gary Lineker pooped his pants whilst playing against Ireland at the 1990 World Cup

The younger brother of Joey Barton, Michael, is a convicted murderer. He murdered his victim with an ice axe
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4477156.stm

David Ginola; His name is an anagram for Vagina Dildo.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 04, 2017, 11:44:31 PM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
What's the nearest football ground to the river Mersey?

September 04, 2017, 11:56:34 PM
Reply #4

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Stockport County isn't it?

Simply simply lovely

September 05, 2017, 02:00:29 AM
Reply #5

Bally

Administrator
Stockport county for  now
It's the roll I way

September 05, 2017, 02:00:57 AM
Reply #6

Bally

Administrator
Stockport County isn't it?
What I get for not reading the whole thread.
It's the roll I way

September 05, 2017, 02:36:54 AM
Reply #7

Optimistic Blue

Steven Gerrard has never won the premier league

The closest he came was in the 2013/2014 season when Liverpool were leading the race with 3 games to go, after defeating city Gerrard made a speech to his team making sure he was in ear shot of the camera rallying his troops to proclaim "this does not fucking slip."

A few games later against Chelsea he slipped over giving the ball to Demba Ba allowing the Chelsea striker a clear run on goal to score the opening goal in a 2-0 loss for the reds.

Liverpool finished 2nd, and Gerrard retired a few years later with no premier league medal to his name
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

September 05, 2017, 02:37:49 AM
Reply #8

Simon Paul

Administrator
If you kick the ball into your own goal from a corner it isn't an own goal, the opposition get a corner

September 05, 2017, 02:43:27 AM
Reply #9

Marky Mark and the funky

Steven Gerrard has never won the premier league

The closest he came was in the 2013/2014 season when Liverpool were leading the race with 3 games to go, after defeating city Gerrard made a speech to his team making sure he was in ear shot of the camera rallying his troops to proclaim "this does not fucking slip."

A few games later against Chelsea he slipped over giving the ball to Demba Ba allowing the Chelsea striker a clear run on goal to score the opening goal in a 2-0 loss for the reds.

Liverpool finished 2nd, and Gerrard retired a few years later with no premier league medal to his name

Weird? No. Strange? No. Interesting? No. What you have described belongs in a thread titled something like "Ways football occasionally ensures justice is served" ;)

September 05, 2017, 03:11:07 AM
Reply #10

blob

If you kick the ball into your own goal from a corner it isn't an own goal, the opposition get a corner

not having that...or is there some quirky explanation?

September 05, 2017, 03:13:06 AM
Reply #11

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
not having that...or is there some quirky explanation?
You'd have to give it some welly like

Simply simply lovely

September 05, 2017, 03:15:43 AM
Reply #12

velimski

There's absolutely no need for that rule because I'm certain it has never happened or ever will.

September 05, 2017, 03:18:07 AM
Reply #13

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
There's absolutely no need for that rule because I'm certain it has never happened or ever will.
I've played on some pitches where the wind could come into effect

Simply simply lovely

September 05, 2017, 03:21:11 AM
Reply #14

Major Clanger

Not on a full-size pitch, but it's easier to adapt the rules to smaller pitches with that one already in.

Plus the rule also mentions free kicks, and that has definitely happened.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:22:34 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel