October 22, 2019, 12:33:51 AM

Author Topic: Everton v Spurs  (Read 27536 times)

September 05, 2017, 01:00:15 AM
Read 27536 times

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We played 5 at the back in his first game vs Spurs and we started on the front foot.

Think it's more of an attitude rather than formation thing.

September 06, 2017, 11:08:40 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Potential for the slowest collection of players ever on a football pitch between these two.

Yes.

They're an interesting example and counter point to a lot of gripes that we may have about our own players / team, in that they don't really have many fast players and don't have much width at all in attacking areas.

It's the intensity with which they play that is the key and so it shouldn't be impossible for us to try to emulate that.

Although having said that their record away at the other top 6 teams is poor too...

September 07, 2017, 11:16:49 PM
Reply #2

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We've got a fairly favourable run of fixtures after this so if we do ok this weekend - things could be looking pretty good by the end of October.

After the trip to old Trafford...

September 09, 2017, 02:23:44 PM
Reply #3

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Could only really see that if 4-2-3-1

Pickford

Holgate Keane Williams (would prefer Jags) Baines

Gueye Schneiderlin

Rooney Sigurdsson Vlasic

DCL

Only way with 3 at the back would mean no DCL.

September 09, 2017, 04:19:06 PM
Reply #4

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's an attitude and a personnel thing.

If you ain't got a ball-playing CB, who also likes to bring it out from the back, it leaves you outnumbered in midfield.

Yes I just mean that if we press aggressively higher up the pitch the tone of the performance is much better.

They're likely to have more of the ball so we can either be reactive, sit deep and try and break or we could (should) be a bit more proactive and try and force them into mistakes nearer their goal.

September 10, 2017, 03:48:52 AM
Reply #5

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Quote of the Day from a fan on the Echo site: "First time I've EVER left early in 23 years. That bad."

Short memory then!

September 10, 2017, 03:50:29 AM
Reply #6

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Poch inherited a decent squad with very good players and was able to keep them. He then had 30 goal-a-season striker come through the ranks. Also a 4m league one punt turned into a 20 goal-a season player. He's had time to mould what was already a decent team into a very good one. Koeman inherited an awful squad and the only decent players either wanted to leave or are on the decline. Zero continuity.

If they sold Kane and just played Jansen instead it'd be interesting to see how they'd cope.

September 10, 2017, 03:55:11 AM
Reply #7

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Not to say that Pochettino hasn't done a great job of course.

But they haven't finished outside of top 6 since 2008/09.

September 10, 2017, 04:16:27 AM
Reply #8

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Wow is that true? Sobering.

09/10 4th
10/11 5th
11/12 4th
12/13 5th
13/14 6th
14/15 5th
15/16 3rd
16/17 2nd

September 10, 2017, 04:22:31 AM
Reply #9

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Brilliant stuff from Spurs POV.

Yes.

Although they spent a lot of money prior to that for a long time.

Was always an argument re Kenwright thinking everything was ok budget wise as Moyes was keeping us up there.

They were likely to get it right managerially at some point (which was Redknapp) and we'd struggle to keep up.

They coincided with the City money and we've finished above Spurs once (13/14) since.

September 10, 2017, 03:38:47 PM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I wouldn't say that we've turned on him but he is on notice, his management style stinks, he has no game plan as he chops and changes his team each week with no clear direction or style of play, he is arrogant, rude and a self centred cunt who has no love for Everton football club, he is an employee who has had just about everything his own way since he arrived here with no obvious improvement so it's time he showed his worth with HIS team/players wouldn't you agree?

On notice?

He did as expected last year and this year is very early on, with a whole new attack and difficult fixtures.

Even with that we got through to the groups of the EL, even if as expected, so I don't think any sort of wild judgements are reasonable at all.

And we have improved from what we were like before he came in.

Again, as expected, but it shouldn't be made out that he's not done what was initially asked of him.

The debate is whether we can move beyond 7th but the club won't be making that decision now.

September 10, 2017, 06:01:00 PM
Reply #11

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I respect your opinion and the sense of perspective and context you provide.

Purely as a hypothetical, if you were offered the chance to replace Koeman with say Tuchel (as a random example, not saying it would happen) tomorrow with minimal fuss, would you take it?

Well just on Tuchel I really wanted him in before Martinez.

I suppose issues at Dortmund cloud that as a no brainer option.

In general it's no different to players in that if there's someone better available you upgrade.

If the options are "not sures" then the current encumbent should get the appropriate time to succeed or fail.

September 10, 2017, 06:02:31 PM
Reply #12

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The problem is that people think we've built the wrong team. It's not about hard fixtures or time. It's about pace, width, balance and a striker

Now we might be wrong and we might be about to reinvent football with 4 10s and no striker but my issue isn't about the performances so far. My issue is I really don't see how it will not continue. We've been poor almost every half. Time won't fix our problems. We need another transfer window. We need another 4 players minimum (for our first 11) and mainly that's more in terms of balance than quality

Well he wanted a striker so the issue there isn't his fault.