October 14, 2019, 03:43:10 PM

Author Topic: Atalanta vs. Everton  (Read 34287 times)

September 11, 2017, 06:45:32 PM
Read 34287 times

Toddacelli

They finished 4th last season.

They're obviously ok.

I saw them away at Napoli two weeks ago and they played 3 at the back, tended to sit deep, then hit it up to a target man ( :eh: ) and then bring in their wider players.

Didn't come across as a possession team but then that was away at a better side.

They were 0-1 up and could have put the game to bed but ended up losing 3-1.

A target man you say...

Maybe we'll get his number whilst we're over there?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 12, 2017, 04:42:40 PM
Reply #1

Toddacelli

@GLewis @brap2 & @Lxxx all raising good points.

The best movement I've seen this season from the front players has been against Sevilla when Rooney and Sandro were switching sides regularly.

If we want to play Sigurdsson as the 10, would it work behind two inter-changing strikers? He has the vision and technique to pick them both out I think.

We could also play DCL as the 9, Sigurdsson as the 10 and Sandro and Rooney on either side, but that's quite top heavy and would probably only work against lesser opposition if we had good support from the wing-backs and a VERY solid, hard-working pair in midfield behind Sigurdsson.

September 12, 2017, 04:44:17 PM
Reply #2

Toddacelli

The other thing is to play our best players in their best positions.

Could we play Sigurdsson as a 10 behind Rooney as a 9?

I know some people think he's finished as a 9 but I don't.

September 13, 2017, 02:35:32 PM
Reply #3

Toddacelli

id drop him due to, A, drink driving, B, hes supposed to be a role model (thats one of the reasons Everton would have brought him back) as a role model, you shouldnt be drink driving, or cheating on your pregnant mrs, on top of that, im sure his children would have heard. C, he maybe the only league goal scorer, but Rooney as the main number 9, he just drops off,, leaving no one there, which in turn frustrates him and causes him to get booked. D,  see C due to that our team is very unbalanced, 3 players dropping off, if not 4 players... leaving no central striker...
We need to change things, if Rooney is going to be the main striker, then he needs to stop coming back, as when we get the ball up front, no one is there to keep it, thus the other team attacks and attacks, which  eventually leads to a mistake, and a goal for the opposition.

id probably play him in midfield, as long as we have a striker who will stay up top,, but as the main  striker or playing off of Sandro.. no no no.. its just too painful to endure.

Awful post.

id drop him due to,
A, drink driving, - Irrelevant. It will be dealt with away from the pitch
B, hes supposed to be a role model (thats one of the reasons Everton would have brought him back) as a role model, you shouldnt be drink driving, or cheating on your pregnant mrs, on top of that, im sure his children would have heard. - If you think he was brought to the club for anything other than footballing reasons  lolol
C, he maybe the only league goal scorer, (he IS not may be) but Rooney as the main number 9, he just drops off,, leaving no one there, which in turn frustrates him and causes him to get booked. If Rooney drops off it is because that is because the team aren't getting the ball to him - he's too isolated so he is coming looking for it and making himself available to his teammates because they lack the quality and cohesion to find him at present
D,  see C due to that our team is very unbalanced, 3 players dropping off, if not 4 players... leaving no central striker... We need to change things, if Rooney is going to be the main striker, then he needs to stop coming back, as when we get the ball up front, no one is there to keep it, thus the other team attacks and attacks, which  eventually leads to a mistake, and a goal for the opposition. Rooney dropping off from a 9 position because he's not getting the ball leads to him getting a booking and the opposition scoring?  lolol

September 13, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
Reply #4

Toddacelli

September 14, 2017, 03:06:54 PM
Reply #5

Toddacelli

He has been our best player and everything has been central to him but I have a strange feeling that if he is out of the side, Sigurdsson would flourish more and we would have more balance.

Not keen on dropping best players just for strange feelings.

It's like when you get a strange feeling about a result, put a bet on it, lose and then think - "so what the fuck was that about?"

September 14, 2017, 04:35:28 PM
Reply #6

Toddacelli

Shit! 6pm?

I finish AT 6pm.

20 miles away from home.

Might miss the start.

:(

September 14, 2017, 04:53:01 PM
Reply #7

Toddacelli

We won't pick up until the second half anyway. Pretty standard. You won't miss much, you can even call for a takeaway on the way home.

I would but - on the motorbike!

September 15, 2017, 01:57:43 AM
Reply #8

Toddacelli

I risked life and limb on the motorbike after work to get back in time to see the second half.

Still, my decision making was not as disastrous as any Everton player who tried a fucking pass tonight.

Much more of this and I'm done with footbal. What other sports are there?

Goalball? Is that a thing?

September 15, 2017, 02:32:52 PM
Reply #9

Toddacelli

And at least 2 who have captained their country

Martina captains his country too. Although he didn't play in this one.

Was that the problem? No - Holgate and Vlasic were about the only ones trying hard as far as I could tell from watching 2nd half. Maybe Sandro too, but too little too late.

September 15, 2017, 05:24:19 PM
Reply #10

Toddacelli

I'm torn on this.

One part of me is saying "Early days, early days, lots of new players to bed in"

And the other part of me is running around screaming hysterically "We're all gonna die!"

Yes there are some very real mitigating factors but oh my god these early warning signs are fucking disastrous!