October 23, 2018, 10:52:36 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 105961 times)

October 23, 2017, 05:40:03 PM
Reply #120

Lxxx

I don't think this squad is as good as we thought it is though. Apart from a midfield diamond of Schneiderlin, Gueye and Sig who are all at a good age with good experience and should be performing at a higher level everything around that is just a bit meh and potential.

There's plenty to work with for the future for the next manager though if he can motivate a group of players but it needs major additions at the back and up front to even get back up to challenging for 7th again.

October 23, 2017, 06:07:54 PM
Reply #121

Lxxx

I reckon we would need about 1.6 points a game from here on in to be with a good chance of finishing 7th. I know it might not sound exciting but that was the most likely finishing position at the start of the season anyway. A new manager in who gets the players working towards something and fully motivated with the crowd behind everyone and that is a possibility. Who knows that might be enough to get into Europe again and even if not it would still be two years of being the team behind the top 6 which would make it a much easier selling point to potential new players about the long term plan than a team who has finished bottom half 3 years out of 4.

And of course the FA Cup.

No chance of that. We don't score goals. A new manager might tighten us up at the back but he's not going to magic some firepower from anywhere until January, if at all this season.
I'd love to be proved wrong and any new man sets us up 4-4-2 and tells us to get down the flanks to actually try and create something but I still don't see where we're ever going to score more than two goals in any given game, which until we tighten up we need to do to stand a chance of winning a game of football and moving up the league.

October 23, 2017, 06:38:22 PM
Reply #122

Lxxx

But I dont think we need to do that to finish top 7, if we were looking at top 6 then yes. We should be able to be a lot more organised than we are, where the goals are coming from is an issue yes. But at the same time there is no way we should only have 2 players that have scored in the PL so far!

Last 5 seasons points that would be enough to finish 7th.

16/17 - 47
15/16 - 61
14/15 - 57
13/14 - 57
12/13 - 50

I think the top 6 are all of a consistently better level than for a while but the rest there are a lot more poorer teams than there used to be. At the start of the season most people would say we'd finish 7th, but after that it would be hard to make a case consistently for who would finish 8th I bet a lot of different people would pick a different team.

Not saying it would be easy but I do think if we got someone in place now it would be a possibility to go at 1.6 points per game and be around the 55 point mark especially with the hopeful addition of a good forward in January.

Looking at things statistically then of course you are right but we're a mess across the park. We don't create chances, we don't keep clean sheets and we don't even keep hold of the football for more than a few seconds at a time.

Yes you can say we're only 7 points off 6th and Watford, who everyone is raving about this season, but this is only due to how fresh the season is still. Of course 7th is still on and it should as well be but every game that goes by without a change in manager or fortune pushes us further down the slope. If 7pts stretches to 15 for example, which it could easily do with a few more defeats and if we factor in that Liverpool will move up the table, then it's not a given we'd be able to make that up given the task any new boss would have.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 06:40:10 PM by Lxxx »

October 23, 2017, 07:07:35 PM
Reply #123

Lxxx

Must be feeling the strain if he is taking training, he doesn't normally

Bit of fresh air clears a muzzy head after a night on the pop.