December 18, 2018, 07:24:36 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 111170 times)

September 13, 2017, 09:45:30 PM
Read 111170 times

Gary1878

It should go without saying that this is the hardest start we have ever had to a Premier League season. By far. We all know that the result and performance against Spurs was atrocious, and there are concerns about having no proper striker and a massive lack of pace.

But we have done what we probably would have expected out of some of the toughest games we will face.

If i said that we would get the following results before the season kicked off, you probably would have accepted it:

Stoke H - Win
City A - Loss
Chelsea A - Loss
Spurs H - Draw

So really it makes little difference to our overall season that we came away with a bonus point at City and got spanked against Spurs. It very well could have been the other way round, and we wouldn't have batted an eyelid at it.

United is another tough game for us, and I would expect another loss on the board. But the season really gets started after this, when we can look to pick up a bunch of wins in a row.

We also have a team that have barely played together, and have just played the favourites, champions, and second placed team from last year. Be realistic and understand that this project will take time.

September 13, 2017, 10:17:24 PM
Reply #1

Gary1878

You're making something that isn't the issue the issue though. No one is complaining about results. They are complaining about the performances and suggesting it's to do with a lack of balance, a lack of pace, a lack of width, a lack of a striker

If I'd of said we wouldn't sign a striker, we won't sign any attacking pace, we won't sign decent cover for Coleman... we will sign Sigurdsson instead for 45m. People firstly would have laughed and then said if it was the case wed be in for a long slog in terms of creating chances

The performances so far aren't what have people worried. It's the huge holes in our team that can't be fixed by them playing a few more games together

To some extent I agree. However, I wouldn't suggest there are huge holes in our team. Our whole front 4 has never played together and people are wondering why we look lost as a team?

Just because they are quality players who we have paid a large sum of money for doesn't mean that they don't need time to bed in. It will take several weeks/months of daily training and playing together to start to see results. These things do not happen overnight, and a few bad performances early in the season against extremely good opposition does not mean that our whole squad is f****d.

Give it a good amount of time before judging the squad and its deficiencies.

September 15, 2017, 02:34:52 PM
Reply #2

Gary1878

Morning everyone. Well that was a shite performance.

I think the board will write off everything pre-United (whatever that result brings), and then expect performances and results after this.

If not, he will be under immense pressure to be sacked.

September 15, 2017, 05:07:29 PM
Reply #3

Gary1878

The thing the players need to do against United is show some guts and heart. Work for the team and just put a damn good shift in. We need to at the very least see that they are trying their very best and working together as a unit.

After United, 6 out of our 7 games are at home. Make no mistake about it - that run will dictate Koeman's future as Everton manager. A bad spell of results during this period and he will get the can.

September 15, 2017, 05:30:22 PM
Reply #4

Gary1878

It's easy to get worked up about performances, and yes they have been poor. But people are kidding themselves saying that they matter. If we had won more games playing poorly, no one would care that much and that's a fact even if you don't want to admit it.

Problem is that it is very unlikely that you win playing really badly in consecutive games - afterall you must be doing something right to be beating teams and getting results. You have to do most things at least half decently, whether that is defending to get a clean sheet or scoring a bucket load of goals, unless the other teams are all out of form (again very unlikely). We seem to be doing neither.

September 15, 2017, 05:41:21 PM
Reply #5

Gary1878

Love the 'bloke on Talksport' stories. He's been listening to Joey Barton too much.

I've heard from my Wife's best friend's husband's brother that Koeman won't be our manager within the next 10 years. Don't shoot the messenger

September 15, 2017, 05:46:46 PM
Reply #6

Gary1878

never thrust your wife or her friends  ;)

What I do with my wife or her friends isn't any concern of yours......

October 20, 2017, 03:17:54 PM
Reply #7

Gary1878

I said a few weeks ago that we should give Koeman more games and also mentioned that this period of fixtures would be crucial for his future.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed.

1. We still don't know what his best team is, or the best formation.
2. Most of the players still haven't had one outstanding game.
3. None of the new players, Pickford apart, has really gelled into the team.
4. A lack of a striker/target man is more of an issue by the week.
5. I don't know how Koeman sets up the team to score goals, or what his attacking strategy is.
6. Defensively, we are very inconsistent. For large parts of games, we look good, and then we make an error leading to a goal. They don't seem to be decreasing, rather the opposite.
7. Our midfield duo of Gana/Schneiderlein  has been very mediocre. Gana is fine, but Schneiderlein has been poor.
8. Wingers. We have a couple of options, but have used none. We have a lack of pace in the team with the wingers, but without them we are completely static. This is very easy to defend against if you can't get behind the opposition's back four.
9. Fullbacks. We have no quality cover at either LB or RB. Holgate and Martina have tried their best, but there have been far too many mistakes.
10. Too many number 10's spoil the team. Why haven't we picked our main man at number 10? Tell him he is all singing and all dancing and your go-to boy. Pick him no matter what. It would give him confidence and at least be the forefront of your attack in the absence of a striker.

I am sure there are more negatives, but I just don't see how Koeman can get out of this mess. Even if he can, it will take months. There are too many issues that he has created, and we need someone else to come in and start again with this group of players.

October 20, 2017, 07:16:04 PM
Reply #8

Gary1878

Barring the Arsenal result - a huge lack of goals among lots of losses does not inspire confidence.