November 19, 2017, 04:06:43 PM

Author Topic: [News]Klaassen: Adapting to English game has not been easy  (Read 3900 times)

October 17, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Reply #15

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn't he the actual number 10 for Ajax? And when you look at all his goals hes either right up there with the centre forward or playing just off, so I dont think theres much weight to that argument?

I agree he hasnt looked great so far but it was too much too soon I think, Im not confident that he will get the chance to come good if im honest, the Premiership waits for no man and its about taking your chances and hes slipping further down the pecking order.

I believe he played as like a...quiet 8.

He had Dolberg CF and I think maybe Ziyech as a 10 or at least drifted in.

Typically didn't touch the ball a great deal, similar story for holland, but he does pop in and apply a finishing touch or get an assist.

Basically think of gueyes goal, he was like that from what I've heard. Very busy off the ball, harassing and tackling. Doesn't run the game but puts up very good numbers in and around the box.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

deCoubertin

October 17, 2017, 07:19:39 PM
Reply #16

van der Meyde

Wasn't he the actual number 10 for Ajax? And when you look at all his goals hes either right up there with the centre forward or playing just off, so I dont think theres much weight to that argument?
He was a bit of a jack of all trades at Ajax. Not many people who watched him over the last couple of years would have described him as a creative player/playmaker though.

October 17, 2017, 07:21:00 PM
Reply #17

JordanianEmbassy

Also, isn't it worth giving Sandro a shot on the left of a 3 man attack, with Lookman/Vlasic or Mirallas on the right?

Funnily enough I was thinking exactly that when I ate my lunch just now.

Going a bit off topic here, but I don't like Rooney, DCL or Sigurddson being played out wide.  I also don't think Rooney has got the pace to be a number 9 anymore.

So for me - we should be playing DCL or Niasse as the centre forward.

If we are playing 3 upfront we do what you have suggested - ie play wide players in the wide positions.
Or we play one upfront with one of our natural number 10s behind - ie Rooney or Sigurddson .

Then in midfield if we are playing 3, then one of them should be Davies or Klassen as the box to box midfielder. (Or maybe both of them if we really need to go for it ? )
If we are playing 2 in centre midfield, then one of them can do the same job.... or IMO Gana and Morgan could actually work well together as a 2 if the rest of the side is more balanced, like last season.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:22:58 PM by JordanianEmbassy »

October 17, 2017, 08:02:32 PM
Reply #18

Hawkandro

Going a bit off topic here, but I don't like Rooney, DCL or Sigurddson being played out wide.  I also don't think Rooney has got the pace to be a number 9 anymore.

If we are playing 3 upfront we do what you have suggested - ie play wide players in the wide positions.
Or we play one upfront with one of our natural number 10s behind - ie Rooney or Sigurddson .

Then in midfield if we are playing 3, then one of them should be Davies or Klassen as the box to box midfielder. (Or maybe both of them if we really need to go for it ? )
If we are playing 2 in centre midfield, then one of them can do the same job.... or IMO Gana and Morgan could actually work well together as a 2 if the rest of the side is more balanced, like last season.

I agree 100%. It's even more annoying as this is the formation (or a variation of the formation) Koeman used as Southampton. It's all the more galling when you know we do have the players to play that way, yet he won't change it from his slow, narrow formation we stick too now.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

October 17, 2017, 08:31:26 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

I agree 100%. It's even more annoying as this is the formation (or a variation of the formation) Koeman used as Southampton. It's all the more galling when you know we do have the players to play that way, yet he won't change it from his slow, narrow formation we stick too now.

I think we do try and play that way but we don't have the players who feel comfortable in those positions. It's either poor recruitment to buy players who don't fit the system or poor management to not play a system to suit the players we have. To try and flog an unworkable system with players who don't look comfortable is just very, very poor management.

October 17, 2017, 08:37:40 PM
Reply #20

everton1952

Clubs like us can't afford top world players so we have to dip into the pool of lesser foreign players and take a chance. That is where the "skills/knowhow" of Walsh is supposed to come into play. The fact that Klassen is currently useless in our present situation, indicates it is a risky business. Klassen given time may turn out to be an adequate squad player and eventually justify most of the big fee paid for him. Ajax like Swansea later, held all the cards and we paid the asking price. Looking around the lower regions of the PL, probably there are many players of Klassen's level who struggle to survive if pitched straight in over their heads. The euphoria on this site when Klassen was signed was probably because coming from a big name like Ajax, he must be good, but sadly he isn't. If the other fella Sandro ever turns into a decent player that would be a major coup for Walsh considering he cost so little.  The jury is still out on both.

October 17, 2017, 09:19:43 PM
Reply #21

BlueBeagle

as opposed to what? sticking him the first team while he has no confidence, he hasnt got to terms with the pace.. he needs to adapt.. what better way than in a situation where the pressure if off him?

are you for real?

Get a player ready for the Premier League by playing him against opponents that are a mixture of kids and players not good enough for their first team.

Laughable shout.

October 17, 2017, 09:24:25 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

The issue he'll have (and it's one that won't be going away anytime soon) is we have too many players in his position. He might well have proven to be a good buy, if we actually needed him. He's battling Davies, Sig, Rooney and now it looks like Vlasic for a place and that's not even taking into account Schneiderlin and Gueye, if he's thought of as being able to play further back.
Needless signing really. 25m that could easily have been put towards a striker.

October 17, 2017, 09:45:57 PM
Reply #23

Thornton_19

Just got back from Amsterdam, went to Ajax game and they bloody love Klaasen, selling scarves with his face on in the store and everything.

He must be at least half decent.

October 17, 2017, 10:15:46 PM
Reply #24

formerKHL

Clubs like us can't afford top world players so we have to dip into the pool of lesser foreign players and take a chance. That is where the "skills/knowhow" of Walsh is supposed to come into play. The fact that Klassen is currently useless in our present situation, indicates it is a risky business. Klassen given time may turn out to be an adequate squad player and eventually justify most of the big fee paid for him. Ajax like Swansea later, held all the cards and we paid the asking price. Looking around the lower regions of the PL, probably there are many players of Klassen's level who struggle to survive if pitched straight in over their heads. The euphoria on this site when Klassen was signed was probably because coming from a big name like Ajax, he must be good, but sadly he isn't. If the other fella Sandro ever turns into a decent player that would be a major coup for Walsh considering he cost so little.  The jury is still out on both.
[/b]

I think the jury, based on comments on here...have debated, returned and sentenced him....

Speaking from experience the difference in styles of play, tempo and even game management between English and not just dutch football is massive..i did it in reverse to klassen and TBH I thought it'd be a doddle going from our fast pace, aggressive style of English football to the more technical slow paced dutch game of the 80's...how wrong I was and for about 6 months I struggled like a C**t even me mates were taking the piss.....couldn't get near the ball for ages and when I got it had so much time and space didn't know what to do with it....then you're closed down quickly and options become limited.....

I think he is good enough to adapt and will come good....and like already mentioned on here the ,managers style and selections are not helping not only him..but other players too...

October 17, 2017, 10:26:10 PM
Reply #25

everton1952

Everyone especially Walsh will hope you are right. His time may come but perhaps not yet.

October 18, 2017, 01:57:16 AM
Reply #26

Cozzie

Would you class vlasic as a No 10 as well?

October 18, 2017, 01:59:57 AM
Reply #27

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Simply simply lovely

October 18, 2017, 02:03:01 AM
Reply #28

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Yup like it, feel a similar way.

Last time I watched Sandro he was alright as wel and I really warmed to him, then haven't seen him since.

Mad the way bringing Davies into the side last year provided balance and yet this year he's catching splinters.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 19, 2017, 11:34:52 PM
Reply #29

Realist