November 13, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Author Topic: [News]Klaassen: Adapting to English game has not been easy  (Read 26192 times)

October 17, 2017, 10:15:46 PM
Read 26192 times

formerKHL

Clubs like us can't afford top world players so we have to dip into the pool of lesser foreign players and take a chance. That is where the "skills/knowhow" of Walsh is supposed to come into play. The fact that Klassen is currently useless in our present situation, indicates it is a risky business. Klassen given time may turn out to be an adequate squad player and eventually justify most of the big fee paid for him. Ajax like Swansea later, held all the cards and we paid the asking price. Looking around the lower regions of the PL, probably there are many players of Klassen's level who struggle to survive if pitched straight in over their heads. The euphoria on this site when Klassen was signed was probably because coming from a big name like Ajax, he must be good, but sadly he isn't. If the other fella Sandro ever turns into a decent player that would be a major coup for Walsh considering he cost so little.  The jury is still out on both.
[/b]

I think the jury, based on comments on here...have debated, returned and sentenced him....

Speaking from experience the difference in styles of play, tempo and even game management between English and not just dutch football is massive..i did it in reverse to klassen and TBH I thought it'd be a doddle going from our fast pace, aggressive style of English football to the more technical slow paced dutch game of the 80's...how wrong I was and for about 6 months I struggled like a C**t even me mates were taking the piss.....couldn't get near the ball for ages and when I got it had so much time and space didn't know what to do with it....then you're closed down quickly and options become limited.....

I think he is good enough to adapt and will come good....and like already mentioned on here the ,managers style and selections are not helping not only him..but other players too...

January 22, 2018, 09:31:39 PM
Reply #1

formerKHL

some people have to realise.....just because he's not playing doesn't mean he's shit in training....

for me its more a case of the manager doesn't think he'll fit into his system....

and lets face it having an attacking midfielder in our team....well current performances sez it all.....

January 22, 2018, 09:58:32 PM
Reply #2

formerKHL

at least they both tried him though....

I think its too easy to discard a player and use the excuse that he doesn't fit the system.....

players make systems not the other way around.......and continued non use of any player doesn't give them the opportunity to fit in

January 23, 2018, 05:34:41 PM
Reply #3

formerKHL

football like most sport is a game of fine margins....

klaassen had a couple of goal opportunities in those early games, which to be fair he was only inches away from.....but still there...

easy with hindsight...but if those chances had been converted I believe we'd be looking at a different player who would be a regular in our first team.....

unfortunately...chances not taken..team in turmoil and the manager who buys him gets sacked....result = where is the klaassen we bought ?

January 23, 2018, 06:05:43 PM
Reply #4

formerKHL

I agree but it looks like from Sam's perspective, with an 18 month contract, that he's going to rely on proven experience. It's a consequence of the board's short term appointment I'm afraid.

and this is the very reason for the poor brand of football we're currently playing..

February 01, 2018, 12:25:12 AM
Reply #5

formerKHL

People say players need “speed of thinking”......to make the right/better decisions....

It’s not actually speed of thinking ......it’s seeing the picture before the picture happens....

Good players see the moves before they get the ball....so when/if they get the ball they know exactly what they’re going to do with it....

The next problem with this is the players around them have to also see a picture and react to the player getting the ball

Hence this is why you’ll see a player pass the ball “to no-one” and everyone thinks “ who the fkk was that to?” It’s because some of the other players around him don’t see the picture....

Ie: not thinking ahead.......

This is what the good coaches actually coach.....