November 19, 2017, 03:37:46 AM

Author Topic: [News]Watford deny Everton a Silva lining  (Read 6823 times)

November 18, 2017, 07:34:57 PM
Reply #270

Waltzer

My view is if weíre serious about challenging at the top then the only way we get there quickly is to pay over the odds. The next level arenít going to come to us for footballing reasons, itíll be financial. Itís taken teams like Chelsea and City years of overspending to get to where they are now, big clubs that people want to go to. I donít know if Silva is the next level, but he will be the most important person at our club so I donít think itís excessive

deCoubertin

November 18, 2017, 07:37:15 PM
Reply #271

Evertonian in NC

It's a sunk cost now, though.  We've already fucked up with Martinez and Koeman, there's no unfucking those particular horses.

You can now decide to pinch pennies because of past mistakes and end up with a manager nobody else would want.  Or take your medicine.

I agree we need some serious organization-wide soul searching, though. 
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

November 18, 2017, 07:40:40 PM
Reply #272

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think it's so much the fee for Silva more the money we've spent on managers over the last 18 months or so. People can argue that the PL is awash with money but all it's doing is driving up prices and salaries it doesn't mean that we have a bottomless pit of money to keep overspending on things, sooner or later we need to get our house in order.

I don't really get the billionaire accountant argument either, many a wealthy, successful businessman has bought a football club and suddenly taken leave of their senses and seen it as a vanity project. I wouldn't say our spending under Moshiri has been that sensible. Fair enough he inherited Martinez and his contract but some of the other spending has been woeful for someone who's apparently savvy with money.

That's the thing, because we've spent a ton in hiring and firing managers, if we keep doing so, it's going to get very costly. I probably wouldn't worry about spunking 10 million on someone proven like Simeone, but for someone who isn't anywhere near that bracket like Silva, you've really got to stop and think. Especially as he's only on a short term contract too. We spunk 10 million on him, and when he gets sacked in 12 months time, we're going to get screwed even more for the next manager we poach.

I get we have to overspend and invest, but it has to be done wisely.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 18, 2017, 07:56:19 PM
Reply #273

Mayor Farnum

My view is if weíre serious about challenging at the top then the only way we get there quickly is to pay over the odds. The next level arenít going to come to us for footballing reasons, itíll be financial. Itís taken teams like Chelsea and City years of overspending to get to where they are now, big clubs that people want to go to. I donít know if Silva is the next level, but he will be the most important person at our club so I donít think itís excessive

You can't compare what we are doing with what Chelsea and City did. Those two clubs went all out for proven quality, overspending yes, but with a guarantee of success.

November 18, 2017, 08:05:02 PM
Reply #274

Gash

Global Moderator

That's just it though, we've not even bought next level players in most cases, in fact we haven't even got 'adequate' replacements for a lot of the positions we were needing. Pickford and Keane I rate, Schneiderlin too but unless he picks up his form drastically he doesn't look next level. We've had our pants pulled down for Klaassen and Sigurdsson and Rooney's only going to have another 12-18 months left in him playing this regularly and even though I still rate him, he's no longer a 'next level' player. Sandro didn't cost much but is apparently on big money and definitely doesn't look next level. Vlasic has done alright but wouldn't say much better than alright. That's before we get into the likes of Williams and Cuco etc.

No disrespect to the them but in 18 months we've spent the thick end of £200m yet we've youngsters like DCL, Davies, Kenny, and Holgate all getting games on a regular basis. We've overpaid on 'decent' players, never mind next level ones.

November 18, 2017, 08:33:54 PM
Reply #275

SANA_DR0

i know i chose silva in the poll, but i ve changed my mind.. i'd rather have Tuchel or Simeone, until that point stick with Unsworth...
Silva is good, but i fear after 2 years with us, he will be looking at us as a stepping stone, he doesnt seem to care about sticking with a club..
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

November 18, 2017, 08:44:20 PM
Reply #276

Mayor Farnum

i know i chose silva in the poll, but i ve changed my mind.. i'd rather have Tuchel or Simeone, until that point stick with Unsworth...
Silva is good, but i fear after 2 years with us, he will be looking at us as a stepping stone, he doesnt seem to care about sticking with a club..

That's the least of our worries regarding Silva. There is little evidence he is up to the job of manageing us yet.

November 18, 2017, 08:44:35 PM
Reply #277

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

That's my feeling of him. I know there's no loyalty in football, but this guy takes the piss.

I guess thinking about it, we probably wouldn't need to worry about paying his contract off as he'll move next chance he gets.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

November 18, 2017, 08:55:11 PM
Reply #278

SANA_DR0

That's the least of our worries regarding Silva. There is little evidence he is up to the job of manageing us yet.

i doubt he is, seems like another Martinez, which could be good, but i want us to defend like the dogs of war tag we had and attack like we did under Martinez..

That's my feeling of him. I know there's no loyalty in football, but this guy takes the piss.

I guess thinking about it, we probably wouldn't need to worry about paying his contract off as he'll move next chance he gets.

We can't build any sort of team with that, we need a manager who will offer us what we need plus longevity, build a squad team kind of like what Moyes did.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

November 18, 2017, 09:59:55 PM
Reply #279

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber

What makes you think he'd give us two years? If he comes, that'll be his last four clubs he's given less than a year.

3 hours ago
Reply #280

GrantyBoy78

My view is if we're serious about challenging at the top then the only way we get there quickly is to pay over the odds. The next level aren't going to come to us for footballing reasons, it'll be financial. It's taken teams like Chelsea and City years of overspending to get to where they are now, big clubs that people want to go to. I don't know if Silva is the next level, but he will be the most important person at our club so I don't think it's excessive
To use the City example. Man Utd offered Tevez a £140k p/w deal and City trumped that with £250k p/w to turn his head and get him to join them. This is after City finish 10th the previous season. For us to turn the head of a top player (Iíll use SŠnchez as an example) that could comfortably earn £250k when he moves in the summer, weíd have to offer him about £400k I reckon. Just not possible.