September 26, 2018, 09:22:28 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 49357 times)

January 23, 2018, 10:31:55 PM
Reply #540

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I would imagine in the bigger scheme of things binning him off wouldn't even cause a ripple in the finances so I'd sack him this afternoon. We managed without a DoF up to now and by and large ran a pretty decent ship. Since he took over we've lurched from one poor decision to another. Bin him off, tell Kenwright to resume transfer negotiations for a week and then we appoint a new DoF in the summer.

Only thing stopping me thinking this is the idea he’s had his hands tied with two directors and 3 managers sticking their fucking noses in.

Go and find us the next Mahrez or Kante and I’ll love you forever. Recommend Patrick van Aanholt and I’m done.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 24, 2018, 12:07:15 AM
Reply #541

kramer0

always and every time for me....... (1) football has survived without these people for over 100 years.....
(2) some smart ass brings one in and "its the way forward..." yet no one knows exactly what they do...... (3) what's the selection criteria when appointing one...anyone know?

(1) It's not about football surviving; that's not a problem. It's about Everton surviving. Teams with dedicated, long-term recruitment experts will leave us in the dust if we keep letting managers control it.

(2) Only because we've done it badly. And no one would describe Moshiri as a "smart ass." He's more of an outright lunatic, if anything.

(3) Organizing a scouting network, identifying targets to fit the team's style of play, negotiating transfers, identifying managers that fit the club's preferred style of play, etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:08:25 AM by kramer0 »

January 24, 2018, 12:29:49 AM
Reply #542

toffee_scot

always and every time for me.......football has survived without these people for over 100 years

Professional football evolves and the mandate of certain roles can change quite a bit.

Before WW2 many team selections were picked by the board of directors and a manager was usually just a coach who would organise training.

Then managers had in general more control of football affairs and some of the younger ones could even still operate as players like our very own Kendall at the very beginning of his first managerial spell.

But now in this era it seems imprudent to give too much control to a manager like we did with Moyes and Martinez, the moment they leave or are sacked then that vision they've tried to implement goes with them. If clubs go through on average a manager every 2 years then you see a problem with trying to provide continuity.

A director of football should be able to help formulate a long term vision for the footballing side of the club and help implement it while letting the manager get on with the job of training the players and achieving results on the pitch. The DoF can concentrate on the admin or business side more like negotiating player contracts or transfers and perhaps any upgrade to existing football facilities. We let Martinez have a lot of say in Finch Farm because the club bought into his vision but 18 months later we've got a manager whose philosophy is the polar opposite.

The big problem for Everton though is the implementation of this new structure and I don't think the club has sussed out at all how this DoF role should actually work.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:46:45 AM by toffee_scot »

January 24, 2018, 02:02:00 AM
Reply #543

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
Now I'm no expert but for me, a DoF should be working with the hierarchy to agree a strategy and playing style for the club (not just the first team).

They create a recruitment plan around these two and install scouts across the world to establish lists of appropriate signings.

They look at the squad, its strengths and weaknesses and identify players that don't fit the strategy and playing style. They move players on and bring in new players to fit.

They then identify a manager to coach the squad and pick a team that fits the squad and playing style.

They represent the continuity across these different areas and don't operate as a single point of failure.

A manager can't do all of this and coach the first team at the same time. A DoF is such an important role to get right.

And we've got it badly wrong.

February 02, 2018, 03:02:29 AM
Reply #544

mikey_blue

February 02, 2018, 07:13:18 AM
Reply #545

Thornton_19

February 02, 2018, 10:33:53 AM
Reply #546

blue1948

I think the above posts are quite right ,that the club should have a plan not each and every manager .For me that is not starting with someone who is 65 .I think the Dutch guy mentioned last week is the type and age we should be setting our stall out with ,a chance to get it all in place before he pops his clogs .No ageist or racial bias intended .

February 04, 2018, 12:21:49 AM
Reply #547

Martip

Seems familiar.
It's an absolute joke and shows why you should avoid buying flavour of the month. He's overseen over 250m of player purchases and we have got 10 times worse.....he literally is stealing a living as I believe Joe bloggs could have done a better job.

February 04, 2018, 12:32:58 AM
Reply #548

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Simply simply lovely

February 04, 2018, 12:40:20 AM
Reply #549

BlueForYou

Who shouldn't we sack?
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

February 04, 2018, 12:42:11 AM
Reply #550

Lxxx

Who shouldn't we sack?

The problem is who sacks the idiot who keeps on making these silly appointments?

February 04, 2018, 12:47:02 AM
Reply #551

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Allardyce and his entire band of bellends
Ferguson who amazingly stays
Walsh and all his faux scouts

All need fucking off and now

Let's see moshiri show some bollocks
Simply simply lovely

February 04, 2018, 12:48:40 AM
Reply #552

Heisenberg

Bought a 'much needed striker' and one the manager doesn't rate. Brilliant

February 04, 2018, 12:49:06 AM
Reply #553

BlueForYou

As Lxxx pretty much hinted

We need to sack the sacker
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

February 04, 2018, 01:09:54 AM
Reply #554

gizzblue

Should sack the entire lot of Sam's mates and his staff ......Get Unsy back in before Oxford snap him up 😅😅😅