August 25, 2019, 06:02:42 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 64157 times)

October 02, 2017, 12:28:24 AM
Read 64157 times

Lxxx

As far as I am aware he doesn't pick the team so on that basis we can have less of a case for him facing the boot than the man whose job it is to motivate the players and send them out in a workable system.

October 02, 2017, 04:53:50 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

Don't think there was much wrong with a lot of the signings, you could certainly make a sensible case for most of them really. The only one I'm unsure of is Klaassan, not because there might not be a decent payer in there somewhere, eventually, but because we just didn't need him. You could maybe argue that we didn't really need Sig either and certainly not at that price but he came with a decent pedigree so you'd have expected him to have shown more so far.

I just don't think we have a manager with either the man management skills or the tactical knowhow to manage a team at this level. His ego and personality might get in the way too. Maybe Walsh fucked up with the striker situation and another centre half but we signed about a dozen players this summer across both age groups, to expect him to find us basically a whole new first team in one summer was a big ask of anyone.

There is enough talent there to be playing at a higher level than we are at present, that's down to one man.

October 02, 2017, 10:53:09 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Not really about sacking Walsh.

But would Steve Walsh have any say in whether we would sack Koeman? I know that normally DOFs are involved in hiring managers.

He isn't really a Director of Football in the sense that one would normally associate one to be is he? He's head of scouting and recruitment really isn't he. Although the fact no-one knows what his remit is leads us to the situation.

October 27, 2017, 03:36:41 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

More and more articles flying around pointing the finger at Walsh and his accountability in Koeman’s sacking. I think anything less than a great January transfer window will see him sacked, too. He should be getting players lined-up now but not sure how he can when we don’t have a manager to consult.

Articles are there to sell papers and create discussion. It may even be a bit of subtle game play on Koeman's part to leak details to try and salvage his reputation for his next position.

Of course we didn't have a great window but over 50% of the signings I would imagine were Koeman's and how he utilised them was poor in the extreme. 

October 27, 2017, 04:21:49 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

The DoF has to have the unequivocal backing of the board for it to work. I don't think there is an issue with one in the English game as such, it's just a cultural legacy that the old school manager's don't like to relinquish responsibility. A lot of the younger manager's probably wouldn't have an issue with it at all, in fact they would probably welcome someone else dealing with a lot of the administration side of things.

October 27, 2017, 04:45:33 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

I agree and I dont think Koeman particularly had an issue with it, I just dont think Walsh was strong enough to deal with him

The fact they both joined the club at the same time led to the strange dynamic. Walsh was learning about the club, his new role and what was expected of him and Koeman's strength of personality and obvious backing from Moshiri wouldn't have led to a straightforward relationship. I can well see him acquiescing to Koeman during this period.

In my opinion Walsh will probably be wiser in the role now, will have had his authority respected with this managerial change and we should now see more of a better balance with the new manager. I think his role is vital really and it'd be silly to even think of changing him in the near future.

October 27, 2017, 06:06:20 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

I think there are probably parallels to when Ferguson and Gill both left Man Utd at the same time too.

In hindsight, having both a new manager and a Director of Football, both with little experience of conducting transfers, was a disaster waiting to happen. As @Rhys suggested the other day, with a more experienced DoF the dynamic might have been a lot more successful.

Even a vastly experienced DoF starting a new job at the same time as a new manager with Koeman's strong personality would have caused issues. It was just unfortunate timing as they both will have wanted to establish their own power base at the same time. Should have been half-expected really, especially with Moshiri's comment of 'Koeman is Koeman, he does what he wants and I support him.' Starstruck much!

October 27, 2017, 07:33:22 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

Its him, just looked back over his career, didnt take many prisoners. him ,pearson,taggart, the 1 out of right said fred, bloody big hard team that o'niell put together there

And Emile Heskey.

October 27, 2017, 11:51:29 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

I am unsure to what it is he actually does, but to me it SEEMS like he is getting a DOF wage for basically being a glorified scout.

Contradiction much.

October 29, 2017, 01:58:27 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

Me thinks someone is putting two and two together there and getting some random shit.

October 29, 2017, 03:09:38 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

Hope so for his sake, he needs to set the record straight thou and stop hiding away like a propa soft shite. Director of Football wedge and hasnít said a fuckin word.

What would you like him to say?

October 29, 2017, 09:47:49 PM
Reply #11

Lxxx

Explain the transfer master plan, the Italian task force achievements....

Why should he have to? He'll explain that to the people who pay his wages.

October 30, 2017, 04:26:56 PM
Reply #12

Lxxx

I refuse to believe Walsh didn't have a striker shortlist after every man and his dog knew Lukaku was going. It was the one position we needed to strengthen. There must have been differences of opinion between him and Koeman for us to land no-one. We don't know Walsh's full remit but I'm not having that he couldn't identify anyone other than Giroud.

October 30, 2017, 05:53:29 PM
Reply #13

Lxxx

Taken in their entirety have any of our transfer windows been a success since Moshiri took over?

Martinez left a seriously disjointed squad in need of reshaping and we haven't managed it despite spending over £200m. First off we sold Stones but didn't spend a penny that window bringing in an ageing Williams, hit and miss Bolasie, Stek and Gueye.

January we bought Lookman who has hardly had a sniff and Schneiderlin who after a decent first half dozen games picked up niggly injuries and has hardly done anything since.

This summer's debacle has been discussed at length. 

This 'root and branch' review Moshiri has mentioned is long overdue but maybe he should look in the mirror too, as every window he's come out and shown his lack of football knowledge and poor judgement by talking shite to football reporters and pundits to attempt to explain away one cock-up after another.

October 30, 2017, 08:08:45 PM
Reply #14

Lxxx

I've just got off the phone to my mate ,and said exactly the same thing to him,it's beyond amateurism.It's unbelievable that it can happen at any premiership club never mind everton.Not a single striker at the club worthy of a start.How the fuck can that happen at a top professional club.

I'm sure, as the weeks progress, we'll have a few details slip out either from the club or Koeman's camp. Both sides will want to try and distance themselves from blame as we slip further into the mire.