October 20, 2019, 08:34:07 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 66537 times)

October 02, 2017, 01:29:18 AM
Read 66537 times

toffee_scot

We don't really know what Walsh's full remit is at the club. I understand that he and Koeman meet often to discuss transfer targets and the kind of players that the manager wants to work with for the Everton squad. With regards to the actual negotiations and trying to get the players to come in, it sounds like Kenwright is still very much involved especially as it was him that was involved in bringing Sigurdsson to Everton - a player that Koeman has wanted since he was Southampton manager.

Players like Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Rooney, Schneiderlin and Gana are meant to be very good, if the manager does not know what to do with these very good players (that he wanted) and get them to play well with their natural ability then something is seriously wrong on the coaching side.

October 02, 2017, 04:12:56 AM
Reply #1

toffee_scot

I'm glad we went for the Director of Football approach especially as in the past we've had managers with a very large remit, the problem with the old 'manager does everything' system is you are assuming that the manager will be there for the long term and with the example of Martinez, he seemed to have quite a large say in how Finch Farm was upgraded with extra bedrooms or whatever it was he felt suited his philosophy. He's gone and the current manager has a completely different way of looking at football which risks overhauling the system influenced by the previous manager.

For me the Director of Football should provide continuity on the footballing side of the club and help Everton establish some sort of consistent footballing principle or philosophy that reflects the development of the club. So when a new manager comes in after the old one is sacked or moves to another club, they have to be able to fit with the Everton ethos and make the most of the existing players at the club whilst also working with the DoF to come up with suitable transfer targets.

I'm not sure the board have this DoF structure fully sussed out as it seems that Walsh is focused mostly on the scouting side and I don't know what other responsibilities he's supposed to have especially regarding the actual footballing side of things. I think Kenwright said something along the lines that he still thought the manager was the most important individual on the footballing side although I don't know if Koeman is directly answerable to the DoF.

November 24, 2017, 04:13:19 AM
Reply #2

toffee_scot

I wonder what he's been doing since August 31st, has he found a striker, left back and central defender yet I wonder?

November 25, 2017, 05:07:37 PM
Reply #3

toffee_scot

I wonder, with reports that we are interested in Ralf Rangnick, the sporting director at RB Leipzig, are we maybe exploring the possibility of bringing him in as a director of football, rather than as a manager, to replace Steve Walsh?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:15:40 PM by toffee_scot »

November 25, 2017, 05:24:28 PM
Reply #4

toffee_scot

This was my hope wayback, and I suggested in one of my podcast questions when Koeman was still here, that Rangnick as DOF and Tuchel as Manager would be my ideal for really taking us forward.

Very remote chance of either, though.

If I remember correctly, Rangnick was interviewed for the Everton manager role back when we were looking to replace Moyes although apparently now Rangnick has no interest in returning to club management but maybe he might be lured by a DoF role at Everton. 

November 25, 2017, 05:36:04 PM
Reply #5

toffee_scot

I just think, if Iím Sporting Director the first fucking job on the list is to go right, hereís my ten strikers that will be to do some of the things that Lukaku could do. Iíve used our new data fella to help out it together and yeah, girouds on the list but thereís 9 other fellas so donít get distracted ok?

I wonder if Everton still have a partnership with Sports Interactive regarding using the full Football Manager database.

November 25, 2017, 06:14:15 PM
Reply #6

toffee_scot

We donít know who or what Walsh was responsible for though. Seemingly almost everyone loves Vlasic and Sandro and rates them, do you think Koeman knew about them and requested them? Or even that lad weíve parked in Belgium? Same with Lookman as well.

Walsh could be a goldmine of knowledge given the freedom to operate properly, only time will tell, but heís clearly been handicapped by Koemans influence over Moshiri in the past and the squad imbalance isnt down to him.

The whole Walsh witchhunt is odd given nobody actually knows his role, responsibilities or remit are.

My guess is he was brought in to Everton largely due to his experience as a football scout at Chelsea and Newcastle and having been head of player recruitment at Leicester, he supposedly played a part in not just bringing in Kante, Vardy and Mahrez to Leicester but also the likes of Zola, Drogba and Essien when he was at Chelsea. We had lost Kevin Reeves who was in charge of the scouting setup until Martinez was sacked so we needed that position filled, the board identified Walsh but wanted to give him a director of football title with seemingly more responsibilities towards the running of the footballing of the club, whatever these responsibilities are supposed to be.

I think every signing we made this summer was endorsed by Koeman, he definitely wanted Rooney, Klaassen and Sigurdsson even though they all occupied the same position and supposedly Koeman and Walsh sat down earlier this summer to discuss transfer targets. It is difficult though to find out the full extent of Walsh's player recruitment role this summer, did he just recommend players and Kenwright/Elstone did all the negotiating or did he actually take a more active part in some deals like his trip to Italy was hinting at?

What seems to be the case though is the club is in quite a mess right now and it doesn't look like we have a proper functioning structure for planning or devising a clear coherent long term football development strategy. It wouldn't surprise me if certain decision making roles were overlapping or people nearer the top of the Everton hierarchy are making the decisions which maybe should be left to those with more expertise in footballing matters.

I just hope for the sake of Everton FC we can get the formula right before things get rapidly worse.

January 21, 2018, 08:31:50 PM
Reply #7

toffee_scot

First thing the club needs to do is define what exactly the director of football's mandate is. I don't suppose the board had a look at the different models that have been implemented by other clubs in the Premier League or abroad?

I'd like to know as well what the different individuals in the board do and whether they are stepping on a few toes. Not long ago we had only Kenwright, Jon Woods and the absent Robert Earl but now Earl has been replaced by Moshiri's man Alexander Ryazantsev and we've created 3 new spaces for the CEO and deputy - Elstone and Barrett-Baxendale - plus this Keith Harris fellow who was supposed to have found investment for us about 10 years ago.

January 24, 2018, 12:29:49 AM
Reply #8

toffee_scot

always and every time for me.......football has survived without these people for over 100 years

Professional football evolves and the mandate of certain roles can change quite a bit.

Before WW2 many team selections were picked by the board of directors and a manager was usually just a coach who would organise training.

Then managers had in general more control of football affairs and some of the younger ones could even still operate as players like our very own Kendall at the very beginning of his first managerial spell.

But now in this era it seems imprudent to give too much control to a manager like we did with Moyes and Martinez, the moment they leave or are sacked then that vision they've tried to implement goes with them. If clubs go through on average a manager every 2 years then you see a problem with trying to provide continuity.

A director of football should be able to help formulate a long term vision for the footballing side of the club and help implement it while letting the manager get on with the job of training the players and achieving results on the pitch. The DoF can concentrate on the admin or business side more like negotiating player contracts or transfers and perhaps any upgrade to existing football facilities. We let Martinez have a lot of say in Finch Farm because the club bought into his vision but 18 months later we've got a manager whose philosophy is the polar opposite.

The big problem for Everton though is the implementation of this new structure and I don't think the club has sussed out at all how this DoF role should actually work.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:46:45 AM by toffee_scot »