October 18, 2019, 07:59:55 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 66311 times)

October 27, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
Read 66311 times

Waltzer

Someone provide me with a good example where a DOF has worked in the Prem

Southampton, amazingly well.

October 27, 2017, 04:28:23 PM
Reply #1

Waltzer

The DoF has to have the unequivocal backing of the board for it to work. I don't think there is an issue with one in the English game as such, it's just a cultural legacy that the old school manager's don't like to relinquish responsibility. A lot of the younger manager's probably wouldn't have an issue with it at all, in fact they would probably welcome someone else dealing with a lot of the administration side of things.

I agree and I dont think Koeman particularly had an issue with it, I just dont think Walsh was strong enough to deal with him

October 30, 2017, 01:56:04 PM
Reply #2

Waltzer

I think we need to sack whoever decided our 2nd 3rd and 4th choice strikers were too expensive, even if we had to pay twice what they were worth it would look like money well invested at the moment.

The biggest worry for me is that everyone could see the writing on the wall in the summer, unless we replaced Rom we were going to struggle for goals, yet our board allowed this to happen. In my lifetime of watching Everton this almost ranks up there with Kings Dock with regards to mismanagement at the top, we were on the crest of a wave and this decision could relegate us.

October 30, 2017, 02:35:44 PM
Reply #3

Waltzer

Moshiri live on sky was telling jim shite the same thing or as good as,stating that the signings were RK,s.

Well this confuses me even more then and is arguably even more worrying, what does Walsh do? The DoF should oversea all recruitment and have overall sign off, yes that should be done in collaboration with the manager but in what system would you have one person signing a certain amount of players and another doing what he likes?

Ill tell you where, Everton, and look where we are......

October 31, 2017, 03:33:20 AM
Reply #4

Waltzer

Oh without doubt the buck will be passed back and for from either camp.It matters not now who's at fault,the bottom line is we've been left with a shambles of a forward line.
I think it does matter though if the culprit is still there functioning within the club, which in my opinion he is.  I see little to no reason how Koeman could be implicated in any failure to secure a striker, with the exception that his list entailed players that were so far out of reach they weren't realistic, but considering Giroud was our main target and he was in the building I cant see it.

I can't categorically state that it was Walsh's fault either, but whoever it is that does the negotiating and deals with transfers should be fired, regardless of who they are.

November 03, 2017, 07:04:05 PM
Reply #5

Waltzer

Good article by the Mail with some quotes which should finally put to bed some of the rumours about who does most of the signings at Everton, from my perspective the answer to the title of this thread is YES!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5046209/Steve-Walsh-blame-Everton-shambles.html

Walsh, towards the end of last season, went on record and he made it clear that he would not sign a player he had not seen live in action and how 'you just need a few more pieces, then you have a top four side.'
Prior to that, came another declaration in an interview with The Times last Boxing Day.
Asked about his role, he seized the opportunity to champion his credentials, saying: 'You would have to be daft to think I wasn't brought in for my recruiting talents. I'll spend money as it was my own. I won't waste it.'

November 27, 2017, 04:20:42 PM
Reply #6

Waltzer

I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater with Walsh, his main skill is scouting so just let him crack on with that. It's only a guess but I think Vlasic, Sandro and Pickford look like his signings and I actually think they could prove to be very decent buys given time. The rest were shite like but let's not gut the whole system all at once. Let's get a new manager in before any more potential changes.

I dont think there is anything wrong with your statement in general, but he is on a very healthy wage, think I read hes the top earner in the league for comparable jobs, so just saying he should keep his job as hes good at scouting isnt acceptable. He was employed to be the one that oversees all transfer activity and he has clearly failed at his remit. Im not one for sacking left, right and centre but he is the most accountable person at the club for our current predicament, even more so than Koeman in my opinion, so if he isnt sacked he cant go on earning circa 1 million a year and calling himself DoF if he is just a decent scout.

February 07, 2018, 04:32:36 PM
Reply #7

Waltzer

I honestly think that with the right manager Schneiderlin will get his form back and be great for us.

Problem is we've had far to many wrong managers.

I agree, I think Schneiderlin is our best central midfielder, he just isnt showing it at the moment, but then again very few are in our team.

February 12, 2018, 05:03:23 PM
Reply #8

Waltzer

The very simple answer to the question is yes. Fuck him off

If I knew how to do it id set a poll, 2 choices:

'1: Yes - sack him immediately'
'2: The above answer'

Done

February 15, 2018, 03:43:58 PM
Reply #9

Waltzer

A lot of the continued issues we see now are reasons why I didnt think it was right to get rid of Koeman. Walsh is the main perpetrator behind what has gone wrong, and with each passing transfer it becomes more and more evident. The bloke has been given too much responsibility based on the fact he got a few decent players in at Leicester, it might be that Klasseen, Sandro, Tosun, Keane et al will turn out to be amazing next year but I dont think we can afford to go through this year again with so many failures.

February 15, 2018, 04:22:20 PM
Reply #10

Waltzer

Koeman wasn't getting the best out of what he had though. The team was dysfunctional, low on morale, had no shape and we weren't winning football matches. Regardless of whose fault that was (and I agree Walsh has to take the lions share of the blame) if you're losing football matches regularly you need to change something and as you can't change the players mid-season, and binning the DoF wouldn't have affected what happens on the pitch, then it had to be the manager. 

I know and I do agree, I just wish we still had Koeman in charge instead of who we now have (I know, I need to get over it!!). I just think we missed a massive trick in the summer to really move the club forward and instead its gone backwards and the man that was mainly responsible is still making the same terrible decisions.

March 26, 2018, 03:54:38 PM
Reply #11

Waltzer

Deserves to be sacked for leaving us without a striker for six months.

Complete incompetence.

And despite assembling our most expensive squad ever (which people are now giving him credit for) he recommended employing a relegation expert to keep us in the division!!