August 15, 2018, 02:04:06 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 46906 times)

February 08, 2018, 05:22:00 PM
Reply #615

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Remember that time he was on the pitch with LA Galaxy?

February 08, 2018, 07:01:45 PM
Reply #616

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:21:26 PM by Jimmywhack »
Simply simply lovely

February 08, 2018, 07:11:01 PM
Reply #617

bigl1cks

anything but long ball!

February 08, 2018, 08:23:53 PM
Reply #618

Ridge

Relative measures like the 66% aren't very helpful really because they lack context. How did that £8m increase compare to the clubs above us or to clubs like Leicester, West Ham and Southampton?

If a £1 bet returned you £1.66 that's a 66% increase too, but it's also nothing to write home about.

If you have commercial activities overall, then you end up saying about how West Ham have new stadium, Leicester have recent success, they are not comparable situations. 66% was just to highlight stagnant is not an accurate summary. Feel free to pick the bones out of the new deals.

On shirt sponsor, Leicester are getting around £4m a year because it's the owner's brand and old deal. West Ham £8m, Southampton about £6m. But would expect similar or better results from commercial operations at stadiums due to locations and facilities.

Elstone doesn't control every aspect, under his control things tend to run smoothly. Everyone wants a CEO to be a negotiating goliath with corporates, sensitive about ticket and product prices and not sell that sort of tacky stuff. Maybe the best endorsement for him, is he probably used to be more heavily involved in negotiations for players before it became Walsh's remit.

CEO's tend to be unpopular, Brady is on 650k at West Ham, Scholes 750k at Stoke, Peace 1m at West Brom, Levy £2m, Woodward £2.5m. Elstone is on 400k, been at the club a decade, vast improvement on Wyness and if anyone finds a direct problem with him let me know. He's always seemed to solve far more problems than he's caused, seemed a good negotiator and communicator.

When you consider we spent £10m getting rid of Koeman, and similar getting Allardyce, Walsh cost £2m to get from Leicester will likely have incentives and a bigger salary. I really see Elstone as the remaining bit of continuity among senior staff and only one providing value for money. I understand it's all gone to shit, but that's not an issue with marketing, we are shit.

February 08, 2018, 09:44:05 PM
Reply #619

van der Meyde

If you have commercial activities overall, then you end up saying about how West Ham have new stadium, Leicester have recent success, they are not comparable situations. 66% was just to highlight stagnant is not an accurate summary. Feel free to pick the bones out of the new deals.

On shirt sponsor, Leicester are getting around £4m a year because it's the owner's brand and old deal. West Ham £8m, Southampton about £6m. But would expect similar or better results from commercial operations at stadiums due to locations and facilities. 
In the main, I don't really think you're wrong about Elstone's performance. I do think having figures for those "less fashionable" clubs though is important. For all of their advantages, we'll have some of our own, so it will average out somewhat. (Also, the use of relative figures is just a big bug bear of mine. :))

So, if we're comparable with Leicester, West Ham, Southampton and West Ham, you won't really get all that much argument from me at this stage.

There definitely are areas related to him I'd  pull up though. He's been CEO (or deputy CEO) during two failed stadium moves. He presided over the new badge fiasco.

There may also be an argument that he's a little short termist in his deals. As you said earlier, well only improve revenues when we sign new contracts. So given that, 5 years for SportPesa and 10 years for Kitbag feel like they could bring in a little more money now but with less relative to our potential down the backend. (There have certainly been suggestions that this sort of thing has hindered Arsenal.)

I don't really think he's the figure of failure he's painted though, no.

February 09, 2018, 12:20:22 AM
Reply #620

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Again 66% was sponsorship, commercial was static, losing profit between 15 and 16 and largely static since 2013
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 09, 2018, 01:17:59 AM
Reply #621

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I can't believe this is even getting discussed, he has to go ASAP

I just wonder if he has any idea how strongly the supporters feel about his abysmal performance, how the pundits and the press have sussed him out or is he just so arrogant that he believes he’s doing a good job
Or does he know he’s fucked up big time and pissed away over £150 million and just doesn’t give a shit ?

February 09, 2018, 02:04:29 AM
Reply #622

Lxxx

I just wonder if he has any idea how strongly the supporters feel about his abysmal performance, how the pundits and the press have sussed him out or is he just so arrogant that he believes he’s doing a good job
Or does he know he’s fucked up big time and pissed away over £150 million and just doesn’t give a shit ?

Biggest payday of his career, I don't think he's that arsed one bit. He's soon to be retired, same as Sam, same as Sammy Lee probably. I'm noticing a theme here.

February 09, 2018, 02:40:22 AM
Reply #623

blue slug

He’s proper shite and done fuck all he’s got to go surely

February 09, 2018, 05:23:13 AM
Reply #624

Ridge

Again 66% was sponsorship, commercial was static, losing profit between 15 and 16 and largely static since 2013

Presume you're comparing matchday revenue from a european year.

February 10, 2018, 06:02:55 AM
Reply #625

Trowel

www.footballitk.com | Football news from those In The Know

Latest Everton transfer news

February 10, 2018, 11:33:04 AM
Reply #626

bluenuck

Dom King on it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5374059/Steve-Walsh-faces-sack-Evertons-director-football.html

Not a fan of King, but I'm a fan of reading that.

To think well over 50 mil. has been spent on three players(Klassen, Sandro, Tosun), and who knows how much on wages, and not one of them has even helped this team this season. Barely played.  shakeyheadman

February 10, 2018, 01:58:22 PM
Reply #627

School of Science

Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

February 10, 2018, 02:04:47 PM
Reply #628

Macca77

Andy Hunter tweeting the same

February 10, 2018, 04:06:47 PM
Reply #629

Alanvideo

from The Guardian.......
<<<<<< Walsh is under growing pressure over the meagre return on the most expensive recruitment drive in the club’s history. Everton have spent almost £200m in the past two transfer windows – only five clubs in Europe have spent more in that period – but are seven points above the relegation zone with 12 matches remaining. It is understood Walsh’s position is under review by the owner, Farhad Moshiri. Marcel Brands, the sporting director at PSV Eindhoven, is a possible replacement. >>>>>>>>
We are special ,we are Everton.