Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 162038 times)

November 04, 2017, 01:32:01 AM
Reply #15

kramer0

is Allardyce really Moshiri's guest for this game Sunday?

Would be funny if true. Like a lower-table version of when City hired Mancini.

November 04, 2017, 08:59:27 AM
Reply #16

kramer0

Oh God.

@kramer0 please tell me some encouraging and incredibly detailed stuff translated for the layman regarding Sean Dyche's tactical preferences and management style  :-\

This chain of tweets is fun:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/915903461077766144

Then there's this about Burnley's defensive style:

https://statsbomb.com/2017/02/burnley-doing-it-differently/

Here's something about his tactics:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/04/23/tactical-philosophy-sean-dyche/

And he has a really nice watch:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4071652/Sean-Dyche-Premier-League-clocks-45-000-watch-Bob-Bradley-ran-time-Swansea-week-donning-40-timepiece.html

Personal opinion: He's sound defensively but I worry about how his attacking style will translate to a club with elevated expectations. Burnley do not create many good chances and creating lots of good chances is necessary for any ambitious club. For example, Simeone, who's built his reputation on defensive rigidity and being miserable to play against, has consistently found ways for his teams to create (this is an underrated talent of his). Burnley have only two goals more than our worthless attack right now and, based on chance quality, one would expect them to have scored less (scary but true). A jump in player quality should help some but how much is a big question mark. I also wonder about his record with young players. He's clearly done great things for Trippier, Keane, Mee, Ings, Vokes, and Gray but it remains to be seen if he has the ability to get players from the U23 level to the first team. And that matters because, in my opinion, any candidate who isn't interested in our U23s can get fucked.

At the very least, hiring Dyche would torpedo Burnley's season, which would certainly ease some of our relegation fears. He is the show there.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:18:36 AM by kramer0 »

November 06, 2017, 06:09:01 PM
Reply #17

kramer0

Walshy’s Mates FC.

November 06, 2017, 07:48:25 PM
Reply #18

kramer0

- Will "take the club forward for the next five years"
- Candidates are Allardyce, Dyche, and Unsworth

:snigger:

This is hardly the only evidence but it seems safe to say Moshiri has zero clue about football.

Seriously, though. Koeman, Allardyce, Dyche. Long balls aren't taking us forward. What model is he trying to follow?

November 06, 2017, 08:42:40 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

It's fine for Moshiri to know very little about football, as long as there are others around and beneath him in the structure that do.

I totally agree with that. Not convinced those others exist, though.

This is the biggest reason why I'd like to see us re-consider Walsh's role. A good director of football with the proper amount of influence would be way more qualified to make all of the decisions Moshiri and Kenwright are currently getting wrong.

November 07, 2017, 05:46:10 AM
Reply #20

kramer0

The "but who can deliver all that?" question proves even further why we need a proper director of football, not just a scout who's been promoted to the level of his incompetence.

Keeping tabs on managers across Europe -- playing style, record with young players, etc. -- is basically a full-time job, like van der Meyde says. There's next to no chance that Moshiri and Kenwright follow these things carefully enough to make an informed decision about who's best to lead Everton forward. That's why the shortlist is basically comprised of names close to home, like Allardyce (well-known in England), Dyche, Silva (early season PL success stories), and Nuno (early season Championship success story), with a couple of well-known, out-of-reach options from abroad (Ancelotti, Tuchel) thrown in for good measure.

This is the sort of thing a proper DoF can handle. The job is all about learning what players, managers, coaches, etc. are a good fit for the club and it's goals and using that information to find the right candidate when the club needs a new player, manager, coach, etc.

Where managers are concerned, the DoF is particularly important. If you haven't noticed, the vast majority of them are only good for two or three years at an individual club. There are outliers -- Sir Alex Ferguson, Wenger, etc. -- but by and large, most only perform well for a few years before they burn out or their ideas get stale. The only way to keep transitions smooth is to have to someone who understands managerial talent and has targets lined up ahead of time. Moshiri and Kenwright weren't at all prepared to be in our current situation, hence the lack of movement, and Walsh just wants to bring his pals to the club. It goes without saying that that's a bad process.

The best move for the long-term health of the club would be to sack Walsh and find someone qualified to take on a greater share of power in making big football decisions, especially if it takes the burden off of Moshiri/Kenwright. It's a healthy sign that we want someone in that sort of position, but in practice, it's been a disaster and, done poorly, a DoF does more harm than good.

In the absence of swapping out Walsh for someone better, Moshiri and Kenwright need to look into football consulting firms. Moshiri worked with 21st Club when he bought into Everton so clearly he's not against the idea. Ted Knutson's consulting group would do a much better job of identifying suitable targets than any of the big decision-makers at the club, which would hold us over until next time. I'd still prefer to see us have qualified decision-makers in house, though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:47:36 AM by kramer0 »

November 07, 2017, 05:59:40 AM
Reply #21

kramer0

You want rid of Walsh? Well you've kept that quiet!

Yes, I have a bad habit of repeating my opinions over and over until someone calls me out.

On to the next one...

November 07, 2017, 06:08:07 AM
Reply #22

kramer0

I've no idea how good a job Walsh has done. It's there anything in Emanalo resigning at Chelsea?

Sounds like Abramovich wanted him to stay but Emanalo wanted to spend more time with his kids. I'm sure Conte is happy, anyhow.

If they need a new technical director, we've got a guy. Helped Leicester win the league. No compensation necessary.

(I'll stop now)

November 07, 2017, 05:27:35 PM
Reply #23

kramer0

I'd be banging the drum for him if we weren't such a mess behind the scenes. Can't imagine him working with the likes of Walsh or Kenwright at all, though.

On the other hand, if we wanted to burn the remnants of the current structure and start afresh...

November 07, 2017, 06:56:49 PM
Reply #24

kramer0

Is that a reputable source? Oh Farhad, you dreamer.

It's fair enough to ask and it's good to want the best people but eventually, Moshiri has to have a serious re-think of how he's going to get top talent at the club. Until we have any sort of serious reputation, it's all about finding the future Simeones, Costas, Sanchezes, Girouds, etc. We lack that vision right now and that's why we always seem to end up spinning our wheels for awhile before ending up with mediocrity, whether we're looking at players or managers.

Hire someone good to find that playing/managerial talent before it's well-known. This continues to be the easiest solution to what ails us.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:58:16 PM by kramer0 »

November 07, 2017, 07:10:35 PM
Reply #25

kramer0

We ALL admire Simeone’s work at Atletico. Even if you think he’s a bit of a twat, you have to admit that he’s done an incredible job with that team.

It’s precisely why we won’t be able to hire him.

November 07, 2017, 09:22:36 PM
Reply #26

kramer0

Okay, so let's see how this is supposed to pan out.

Big Sam comes in, we pay him (and quite a lot of agents) a shitload of money, he brings in all his people and "saves us from relegation". So far so good.

It's June now, we spend another shitload of money to sack him and all the people he brought in except for the half a dozen mercenary players on massive long-term contracts he signed in January.

What is the next step?

1. Spend the entire summer trying for Simeone

2. Fail to bring him in

3. Scoff at all of the alternatives

4. Go into the season without a manager

November 07, 2017, 09:47:37 PM
Reply #27

kramer0

Hearing Tuchel has turned us down. Dunno when this was but probably why his name has come out of the running.

He will have plenty of clubs that aren't a total disaster to choose from come summer time. No surprise.

November 07, 2017, 09:53:38 PM
Reply #28

kramer0

Starting to worry that all this operating-in-public nonsense is going to cost us more good players/managers than it gets us.

November 07, 2017, 10:12:17 PM
Reply #29

kramer0

Or players/managers think you're a gang of buffoons for courting them in public before any serious contact is made.