Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 167998 times)

October 30, 2017, 02:12:33 AM
Reply #15

Ridge

Yeah, if you're even considering Allardyce, why not go Moyes first.  :eh:

November 03, 2017, 01:28:14 PM
Reply #16

Ridge

Was thinking Van Gaal's wife must be bored shitless of hearing about Jose and United.

November 12, 2017, 07:56:43 PM
Reply #17

Ridge

I think when you look at Tuchel, the team he inherited at Dortmund was very good. He went through same process at Klopp, but I think Klopp's the better manager and I don't really rate him that highly.

Huge tactical variation can sound appealing, but it can be a sign of indecision. Top teams don't need to shift everything, they often have a primary system that is well rehearsed. They adapt to situations by expanding or tightening the system, but by and large, you do what you like, we'll do what we know best. Most systems can facilitate extra focus on the 1 or 2 players who connect play or create. Attack is often the best form of defence and the more you move stuff about, the harder it is to build play or create chances.

Leicester, Chelsea and this season City, will have pretty much kept the same setup for most the PL games in a season.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:58:02 PM by Ridge »

November 12, 2017, 09:24:50 PM
Reply #18

Ridge

Barcelona's dominance came from youth team, while Real were chucking money at mercenaries.

Guardiola at Bayern, City didn't signed worlds best attacking players. He's bought young players to build into a team. Sane,, Jesus were very talented, but still young and raw. Sterling and De Bruyne took time to grow into roles, but have been backed.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:26:39 PM by Ridge »

November 13, 2017, 02:31:44 AM
Reply #19

Ridge

Yeah I was only asking. However I do think he has a stronger case than Unsworth (cue torrents of abuse!)

Torrents of abuse!

November 14, 2017, 10:36:26 AM
Reply #20

Ridge

I'm not sure I understand it, we've just beaten his settled Watford side that was playing so well. If were saying Unsworth isn't good enough to take the job, then hows he taken a deflated, unbalanced team that can't score and come back from 2-0 down to beat Silva. Played 4, lost 3, beat Silva. The thing that might make sense of it, is if we enquired prior to the match. We were interested, but it also potentially unsettles an opponent before a game, double win.

But there has been an obvious option since Koeman went, it's the same obvious option now that has got his first win and 3 goals in a game and has just got some momentum that the board seems happy to let drain away. We lost the first 3 games because we were probably a bit too ambitious, but when a manager has only 13 days to get results, he'll play high risk, he needs the goals and the wins. Until we get something settled, the players aren't going to be able to focus or plan and your expecting miracles of a interim manager to manage the panic and get results, while speculation runs wild.

It's becoming a cowardly shitshow of desperation, lets just keep everything in flux and confusion while we scramble about chasing, that always works well. The stability at the club is coming from a young manager given an unenviable task, Moshiri appears to be running around chasing lesser options and undermines his authority. I know Unsworth may not be worrying about it or showing signs of it, but I'm getting angry on his behalf. He's got some time in interantional break to work and build with squad and he presumably doesn't know if he'll be taking charge of the next game or more, or what is happening, you can't be saying he needs to win next time to get a contract, you're tying him in knots.

If we appoint Unsworth I'll be delighted, but it's still been handled in an absolutely terrible way. If we get someone else in that is a really good manager, then why haven't we already got them. If we are going with some 3rd rate option because it's what was on available and fan opinion wants a big foreign name.

Maybe Unsworth wants a longer contract than until the end of the season. Because otherwise in the summer, he'll probably get replaced regardless how well he does. But I've seen nothing to suggest that Unsworth is behaving as anything other than a loyal dedicated servant of the club, and that's probably why he's been treated like shit.

November 14, 2017, 10:58:37 AM
Reply #21

Ridge

Gomes going off changed that game. He stays on, Watford win.

Didn't happen, plenty of things happen every game that could change it. Gomes went off at 1-0, we could have won more handsomely.

If Lennon got penalty it would have changed game, if auntie had a penis etc.

November 16, 2017, 08:00:08 AM
Reply #22

Ridge

I thought Barton might have been doing Allardyce a favour, when he tried to trash Unsworth. Get the impression that Moshiri's ear is to talksport, and that's why Allardyce was lurking and Moshiri thought he was going to be popular.

Then realised few wanted him, they only wanted him short term, to avoid relegation and get 15th, and most would hate him.

Silva's flavour of month in PL, but we've just beat his side, so hard to get excited about.

November 18, 2017, 12:43:38 AM
Reply #23

Ridge

it's a bit like dating though, and after we've chased Allardyce round the disco, and trying to break up Silva from Watford, we'll have to go back home and settle for Unsworth, like the boring patient wife, disappointing.

November 18, 2017, 11:02:36 PM
Reply #24

Ridge

We've bottled making decisions at all the right times, no decision is often the worse decision.

November 19, 2017, 08:44:34 PM
Reply #25

Ridge

Moyes was never the greatest manager, but he had support from above.

Unsworth hasn't received support and I think its made his potential appointment unpopular. Even if he got it now, he's not got owner support and lots of fans don't want him.

Think Pulis is starting to look like one of the better options now.

November 19, 2017, 09:15:21 PM
Reply #26

Ridge

It's just due to position, if we give big contract, we're not going to sack in 3 months if things aren't working.

Someone like Pulis, we might be able to get until next summer, then we can get better manager to go forward.

November 19, 2017, 09:29:01 PM
Reply #27

Ridge

You get a solid base, and then need to add quality and expansive players.

But this was exactly what Martinez was so fortunate to inherit from Moyes, wasn't it?

November 19, 2017, 09:34:31 PM
Reply #28

Ridge

I can't even comprehend an Everton side managed by pulis

Defend deep, set pieces, direct, percentage football going forward.

I doubt it will happen as would unpopular at this stage, just think it would be a better appointment than what we seem likely to do.

November 19, 2017, 09:43:01 PM
Reply #29

Ridge

Itís going to be Dyche isnít it really

Very possible now.

And that's the thing, would you rather 1 year of Pulis, or 3 years of Dyche?