Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 49238 times)

kramer0, duncandisorderly and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 23, 2017, 08:55:02 PM
Reply #45

BlueForYou

Whichever manager wins the World Cup - looks like Belgium...................... .........

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

deCoubertin

October 23, 2017, 09:04:13 PM
Reply #46

hill135

Whoever it is we shouldn't be throwing 6 mil a year at them. We've paid out over 20 mil in compo in 18 months which is ridiculous and unsustainable.

October 23, 2017, 09:04:17 PM
Reply #47

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I'd be happy for Unsworth, Dunc or Arteta to take over on an interim basis for a few months, at least until Christmas, steady the ship a bit.

Highly unlikely that any top manager would take the job, I think we are all looking through blue tinted specs there. I also doubt Silva will move again so quickly. Definitely wouldn't want Eddie Howe, don't see the appeal.

I genuinely have no clue who I would want.
I said I wanted Fonseca last time round, so it's good to see us being linked with him. Although I also used to like the idea of Favre or Bielsa, and they now seem to be doing shite. I used to think Pal Dardai would come good but Hertha seem to have stagnated a bit. Options seem very limited at the minute, so I suppose that strengthens the idea for an interim manager, maybe after the new year more managers will come available.

I do love the romantic idea of our future manager having a link with the club or the fans, and if the interim manager is a success then maybe we will get that. Proper headache this, but I'm glad Koeman has gone anyway.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:06:12 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 23, 2017, 09:05:02 PM
Reply #48

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
The leading candidates

Sean Dyche is 9/4

David Unsworth 3/1

Carlo Ancelotti  8/1

Chris Coleman 12/1

David Moyes 16/1
Hmm

Simply simply lovely

October 23, 2017, 09:06:05 PM
Reply #49

Waltzer

Devastated if any of those top 4 got it

October 23, 2017, 09:16:32 PM
Reply #50

Captain Sarcasm

I'll be surprised if it isn't one of Dyche or Allardyce - of the two I'd go for Dyche.

Until the start of this season I never thought I'd link Dyche with Everton but Burnley have impressed me of late. I also recently read a fantastic chapter on Dyche in a book called Living on the Volcano by Michael Calvin. The book focusses on football managers and their philosophies and what they want from players. It is clear he takes no shit whatsoever and he makes it clear it is all about the team. The players we have need some organisation and belief instilling in them. I'm surprised just how bad our organisation and belief was under Koeman. You can have all the talent in the world but if you're disorganised and don't believe in yourself and the team then forget it. I'd be confident Dyche would instil that again in our players and get Goodison behind the lads again.

October 23, 2017, 09:31:26 PM
Reply #51

Tony Clifton

Dyche makes sense to me. 

The Arteta idea is, um, interesting...

October 23, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
Reply #52

april

Allardyche. Dream team.
Toffeegirls Rule.

October 23, 2017, 09:35:34 PM
Reply #53

TheTone

I just couldn't see Arteta inspiring a team

I wouldn't be averse to Dyche

I'd be made up if an Unsworth/Big Dunc combination worked out though

October 23, 2017, 09:36:19 PM
Reply #54

Ridge

Unsworth knows the players who have been here, through youth setup. How they play, he knows the experienced players from before Koeman arrived, Rooney from first time at club, Ferguson. He identified Calvert-Lewin from his time at Sheffield United, and helped get him to the club.

I don't think there will be any Evertonian who won't be doing everything to help him or get behind team and actually it is kind of showing again what we as a club are about. 7th is not good enough, we do have the players, the maximum endeavour and courage is all we ask. We don't need to hide in the corner, we've got plenty of talented players, you just have to know how to get the best out of them.

Unsworth did his badges several years at a place called Largs in Scotland, same place as Ferguson, Mourinho, Moyes, AVB. While not a guarantee of anything, it's a very well respected footballing education as far as they go. Many coaches return to stay in touch with changes and new interpretations. The under 23s is not an incredibly prestigious trophy, the format has expanded from under 21s and he's done exceptionally since. But while we have some older players, it's still a young team.

He has been managing under 23s for longer than Koeman was managing the first team. He won the league first season after the change, they are currently 2nd after 8 games. Arsenal, Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea, Spurs all have teams and while it may not be the priority as a club, they all have some of the most talented players and as many, if not more resources. They similarly have a young manager with plenty of investment in their development, and expectation to develop players, but also get players to perform. England Under 20's won the World Cup in the summer with Calvert-Lewin scoring in final and several of our younger players are in or around international team.

Some managers like Pochettino don't really loan players out much, while Chelsea keep the best of 700 hopefuls and loan rest. It's more about development and getting into first team. But if some of them are making him look good, maybe they need to come through, and if he's making them look good, then let's see what he can do with the wealth of resources in first team.

Football is a development game in terms of players, techniques and tactics and many more younger managers have succeeded in recent years. There are several older coaches who can utilise wisdom and a wider understanding, but they are often moving away from being able to relate to the younger players. Ranieri had a number 2 who knifed him after winning the title, Ferguson had Queiroz, Phelan and several others in later years, who felt like they actually ran the show. Mourinho started off as an interpreter for Bobby Robson. Wenger has got Steve Bould to organise defence, but his creative players become frustrated and petulant, before Bould they stopped being able to defend.

I think Koeman's problem is also about writing players off and bending over for others. Ferguson used to do this but with more precision, respect and humility. If you worked hard you were only as good as you can be as a player, but good players had to have the right attitude and respect, but also the manager had to know when to swallow pride, with enthusiasm for the club. Ferguson admitted his biggest mistake was selling Jaap Stam over the book, that's because he would have still been good for the club, it was always his master to cause him to be a ruthless bastard willing to sacrifice. It breaks Mourinho's heart having to sell players and he is in a constant battle for humility. Unfortunately for us, Steve Walsh forgot to buy any humility for Koeman.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:37:58 PM by Ridge »

October 23, 2017, 09:36:55 PM
Reply #55

Tinga

Tuchel then Silva then Fonseca.

October 23, 2017, 09:39:40 PM
Reply #56

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Would want to be aiming higher than Sean Dyche, but then, he's certainly getting results where it counts.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

October 23, 2017, 09:42:39 PM
Reply #57

Major Clanger

I just couldn't see Arteta inspiring a team

There are many ways to inspire a team. You certainly won't see him running up and down the touchline bellowing instructions like a fucking nutter, but if he's picked up enough knowledge from Guardiola, he can inspire them in the training ground and instill confidence in them, so there is no need for him to shout on matchdays.

And at least he certainly gets the club and what the expectations are.

I'm not saying we should go for him, by the way, just that it's not as completely bonkers an idea as it may sound at first.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:43:43 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 23, 2017, 09:44:35 PM
Reply #58

boothill

At Nice and helped them finish 3rd last year. don't know about this year.

I was under the impression he was a young manager but he's close to 60. I'd consider him but I'd love go down the Poch/Silva route. Get some innovative young coach coming in

Probably get shot down for this but is AVB a mad shout? Still ridiculously young for a manager, had spurs playing lovely stuff and was unlucky with recruitment and getting sacked a bit too soon for me
Did he say to drogba, or lampard. "I dont want you in my team, all you do is score goals"

October 23, 2017, 09:44:48 PM
Reply #59

Lxxx

There are many ways to inspire a team. You certainly won't see him running up and down the touchline bellowing instructions like a fucking nutter, but if he's picked up enough knowledge from Guardiola, he can inspire them in the training ground and instill confidence in them, so there is no need for him to shout on matchdays.

And at least he certainly gets the club and what the expectations are.

I'm not saying we should go for him, by the way, just that it's not as completely bonkers an idea as it may sound at first.

I must admit I do think it's bonkers.