Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 59029 times)

KoemansNumberTens, Paddockoldie, TheRam, Glory, Topper (+ 1 Hidden) and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 24, 2017, 04:19:40 AM
Reply #240

KoemansNumberTens

I think all these names getting mentioned by the press and bookies are just getting plucked from thin air.

Can't read anything into the bookies odds. It's just a list of any old shite someone might be daft enough to waste money on. The bookies know fuck all and are terrified that someone out there already knows the outcome. 10 50 quid bets and we could make any of them go odds on

deCoubertin

October 24, 2017, 04:22:44 AM
Reply #241

Waltzer

What's Klinsman up to, his names usually rolled out at some point?

October 24, 2017, 04:29:12 AM
Reply #242

Bluedylan

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 24, 2017, 04:32:01 AM
Reply #243

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Unsworth wants it long-term according to Andy Hunter:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/23/ronald-koeman-sacked-everton-manager

I'm happy that he's got a genuine chance now to show what he's got.

October 24, 2017, 04:32:34 AM
Reply #244

Mayor Farnum

There have been plenty of caretaker managers that have got an initial boost out of the team but it tends to go pear shaped when they get the job full time. Anyone know of a caretaker manager that has got the job and gone on to great things?

October 24, 2017, 04:35:23 AM
Reply #245

Waltzer

I'm happy that he's got a genuine chance now to show what he's got.
I'd like nothing more than for Unworth to do well and be a huge success, but I'm trying to recall has they're ever been an interim manager that's come in and been a success, long term? Probably has, but I'm struggling to think of any.

October 24, 2017, 04:36:05 AM
Reply #246

Waltzer

There have been plenty of caretaker managers that have got an initial boost out of the team but it tends to go pear shaped when they get the job full time. Anyone know of a caretaker manager that has got the job and gone on to great things?
Ha, Just beat me to it!

October 24, 2017, 04:40:28 AM
Reply #247

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
That's the beauty of the Unsworth appointment tbh. It gives us a chance to evaluate him as a manager.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 24, 2017, 04:40:44 AM
Reply #248

blueski

seems natural, the initial boost and inevitable fall off

the players will feel badly and also know the replacement manager candidates will be watching matches closely meaning they could play themselves into the team or into the squad or out the door over the next few weeks

regardless the caretaker manager spot seems likely to land Unsy a job somewhere regardless of how it goes I'd think

Nil Satis

October 24, 2017, 04:45:34 AM
Reply #249

Major Clanger

I'd like nothing more than for Unworth to do well and be a huge success, but I'm trying to recall has they're ever been an interim manager that's come in and been a success, long term? Probably has, but I'm struggling to think of any.

If you mean caretaker in the most literal sense, then no. They are by definition a stop-gap, appointed for their reputation as a safe pair of hands but nothing more. Those who go on to do great things like Mourinho or Klopp were never called caretaker to start with, they were wild punts with high hopes pinned on them.

I sometimes wonder how much a manager's early career is determined by these differences in wording and expectations.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:47:39 AM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 24, 2017, 04:47:45 AM
Reply #250

trueevertonianpaul

Ancelotti would be fantastic but ok( koeman) realistically I would be happy with Silva

October 24, 2017, 05:02:08 AM
Reply #251

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I think we could tempt Silva.

He's on a two year deal at a club notorious for changing managers.

If we were to offer him a four year deal on a lot more than he's on at Watford I think he'll jump at that.

October 24, 2017, 05:15:24 AM
Reply #252

Normm

Although as a blue I hate to say it, but yes: Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish - promotion from within. That was Liverpool's best spell.

When the backroom staff have the talent, promote from within. Everton could have coached Kendall to take over the squad. Thankfully, he came back.

Unsworth is the obvious choice and deserves the chance.

October 24, 2017, 05:25:38 AM
Reply #253

Tony Clifton

I'm burnt out and paranoid after Martinez and Koeman, can't see the wood for the trees and all that. 

October 24, 2017, 05:51:14 AM
Reply #254

Tony Clifton

Although as a blue I hate to say it, but yes: Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish - promotion from within. That was Liverpool's best spell.

When the backroom staff have the talent, promote from within. Everton could have coached Kendall to take over the squad. Thankfully, he came back.

Unsworth is the obvious choice and deserves the chance.

Kendall and Dalglish - both player-managers.  Back when clubs just got on with it without so much fucking drama and microscopes! 

Now, imagine one of our older heads - Rooney, Jagielka, Baines - just being asked the question!   Baines would probably have a panic attack and soil himself on the spot, Jagielka would talk himself out of it - fast - and, Rooney would probably think it was a good idea, but, he'd develop a stutter mid-"errrrrm", having second thoughts as the press went neanderthal.

This is modern football.  Massive babies and egos everywhere.  Not just players either, as we've just experienced.

So yeah, leaning towards keeping it in the family myself. 

Here's our man:

;D