Mark Hughes
Chris Coleman
Duncan Ferguson
Koeman to remain in charge
AN Other
Manuel Pellegrini
Sean Dyche
Diego Simeone

Author Topic: Who should we go for?  (Read 54736 times)

therealdunc and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

October 24, 2017, 09:14:52 PM
Reply #375

MmmBlueRamirez

Tuchel

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11671/11096384/thomas-tuchel-open-to-an-approach-from-everton-over-managerial-vacancy

Letís face it, who doesnít fancy £6m a year.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

deCoubertin

October 24, 2017, 09:17:21 PM
Reply #376

everton1952

Chelsea 0 Unsworth Press Conference 3  (Unsworth all 3)

October 24, 2017, 09:27:59 PM
Reply #377

blue1948

Letís face it, who doesnít fancy £6m a year.
Koeman worked for 16 months and if he was paid until the end of his contract that is 13.5mill a year ,for fucking it up!!!

October 24, 2017, 09:39:01 PM
Reply #378

Waltzer

Koeman worked for 16 months and if he was paid until the end of his contract that is 13.5mill a year ,for fucking it up!!!

From my perspective its kind of what the board deserved. Koeman was given a big contract as he had a big reputation within the game, you can go through every transfer window he had and we failed to deliver a lot of what was required (Sissokko, Koubilaly, Perez, Brahimi, Gabbiadini, Witsel, Pelle, Giroud, new left back etc). He wasnt entirely to blame for the team failing but hes the only one that has paid with his job, others who contributed to this are meeting the squad this morning and carrying on as usual. Yes its a lot of money to fork out, but the board decided he was worth it and the length of the contract so they cant complain when they have to pay him off when they were partly to blame.

October 24, 2017, 09:45:00 PM
Reply #379

bacon sarnie

Koeman & Martinez wave hello from a beach somewhere and it ain't in Rhyl or Talacre.

October 24, 2017, 10:21:12 PM
Reply #380

Ridge

Tuchel came through as a youth coach at Maine and is same age as Unsworth. Martinez managed 72 points in his first season and won Cup with Wigan. While Liverpool look hell bent on destruction, whoever takes over the team from Klopp, will inherit a young, dangerous attacking team.

I think English clubs tend to have an importers mentality, that you can always buy a better option as you can recruit from anywhere. Martinez and Koeman both had Catalan ties, Barcelona themselves 12 of the last 14 seasons were managers employed with similar or less experience to Unsworth.

Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, they all got us to an extent, but also showed that at times they didn't represent or understand the feelings of fans. Moyes lacked ambition, Martinez humiliated us, Koeman had no style and lost substance. Moyes went to United and Martinez to Belgium,

October 24, 2017, 10:28:48 PM
Reply #381

Evertonian in NC

"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 24, 2017, 10:30:55 PM
Reply #382

Waltzer

Tuchel came through as a youth coach at Maine and is same age as Unsworth. Martinez managed 72 points in his first season and won Cup with Wigan. While Liverpool look hell bent on destruction, whoever takes over the team from Klopp, will inherit a young, dangerous attacking team.

I think English clubs tend to have an importers mentality, that you can always buy a better option as you can recruit from anywhere. Martinez and Koeman both had Catalan ties, Barcelona themselves 12 of the last 14 seasons were managers employed with similar or less experience to Unsworth.

Moyes, Martinez, Koeman, they all got us to an extent, but also showed that at times they didn't represent or understand the feelings of fans. Moyes lacked ambition, Martinez humiliated us, Koeman had no style and lost substance. Moyes went to United and Martinez to Belgium,

Find it hard to use Barca as a comparison for numerous reasons. Your walking into a club that has everything, the best players, the most awards, it goes on. The people that have been employed have been ex superstars of the game that command instant respect and have been preparing for this for a number of years,  also, for a majority of the years they've only really been competing with 1 other team.

Unsworth is going into a team short of confidence in the bottom 3 of a fiercely competitive league with a squad with little to no balance. I do want him to succeed but I think walking into Barcelona's first team and ours are light years apart for any manager.

October 24, 2017, 10:34:42 PM
Reply #383

Lxxx

I've wanted Rangnick as DOF and Tuchel as Manager for a while now

Let's not go too far the other way. Clearly I don't know the inner workings of what happened over the past 18 months but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater with Walsh. He has immense knowledge of the English game and he wouldn't be the first person to not get along with Koeman, Les Reed had his differences too by all accounts.
His signings of Pickford, Gueye, Onyekuru and Sandro haven't been bad at all (Sandro was low risk for the fee and has got to be better than his confidence-shot performances so far) and he's re-organised the scouting setup since he's been appointed.

Clearly he's partly culpable for the lack of a striker and centre half but we don't know if his suggestions were discounted by Koeman, I'd be amazed if he offered nothing by the way of options for those two positions.

If he's on the selection panel for the next manager we should be able to appoint someone he feels he can work with, which is half the battle in these type of dynamics.

October 24, 2017, 10:35:13 PM
Reply #384

Cereal Killer

Sorry if I'm late to this but apparently Phil Neville wants the job:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41733364

They seem to have re labelled the article as Unsworth wants the job now rather than Neville?

October 24, 2017, 10:41:11 PM
Reply #385

Rhys

Find it hard to use Barca as a comparison for numerous reasons. Your walking into a club that has everything, the best players, the most awards, it goes on. The people that have been employed have been ex superstars of the game that command instant respect and have been preparing for this for a number of years,  also, for a majority of the years they've only really been competing with 1 other team.

Unsworth is going into a team short of confidence in the bottom 3 of a fiercely competitive league with a squad with little to no balance. I do want him to succeed but I think walking into Barcelona's first team and ours are light years apart for any manager.

For them, real madrid or someone like Bayern they can take a gamble on anyone who they think might have a chance of being good. You take over Barcelona this summer do horrendously you finish 3rd or 4th. You sack the manager replace him with whoever you want, sitll have a top squad and can buy whoever you want. With us we literally could go down if he turned out to be a disaster and even if not finishing 15th as opposed to 7th makes a big difference to us in having conversations with potential transfer targets or new managers.

Chelsea finished 10th in their worst season for over 20 years, still got one of the top manager talents in the world still a top squad and won the league the following season. So much easier for teams to gamble on managers when they know the landscape for what they can achieve doesnt change. Which is why appointing Guardiola and Zidane for Barca and Madrid weren't remotely gambles, whereas for us appointing Rhino it could be a complete toss of a coin.

October 24, 2017, 10:44:20 PM
Reply #386

KoemansNumberTens

Let's not go too far the other way. Clearly I don't know the inner workings of what happened over the past 18 months but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater with Walsh. He has immense knowledge of the English game and he wouldn't be the first person to not get along with Koeman, Les Reed had his differences too by all accounts.
His signings of Pickford, Gueye, Onyekuru and Sandro haven't been bad at all (Sandro was low risk for the fee and has got to be better than his confidence-shot performances so far) and he's re-organised the scouting setup since he's been appointed.

Clearly he's partly culpable for the lack of a striker and centre half but we don't know if his suggestions were discounted by Koeman, I'd be amazed if he offered nothing by the way of options for those two positions.

If he's on the selection panel for the next manager we should be able to appoint someone he feels he can work with, which is half the battle in these type of dynamics.

Maybe I'm being naive but I really don't blame Walsh. I think had he had a free reign we'd have sign a striker out of left field. I think the problem was the list of koemans approved targets was quite short and if they don't want to play for us there's not much Walsh can do

I like how we are signing young players and I like how we've done with our cheaper punts (sandro will still prove to be a very good player)
It's vital we get someone who wants to work more closely with Walsh next time though. Think we got stuck between the 2 systems where koeman had a little too much say but then not quite enough to take full responsibility. Surely the manager should tslk about which attributes he needs and the DOF should compile the list?

October 24, 2017, 10:48:12 PM
Reply #387

KoemansNumberTens

For them, real madrid or someone like Bayern they can take a gamble on anyone who they think might have a chance of being good. You take over Barcelona this summer do horrendously you finish 3rd or 4th. You sack the manager replace him with whoever you want, sitll have a top squad and can buy whoever you want. With us we literally could go down if he turned out to be a disaster and even if not finishing 15th as opposed to 7th makes a big difference to us in having conversations with potential transfer targets or new managers.

Chelsea finished 10th in their worst season for over 20 years, still got one of the top manager talents in the world still a top squad and won the league the following season. So much easier for teams to gamble on managers when they know the landscape for what they can achieve doesnt change. Which is why appointing Guardiola and Zidane for Barca and Madrid weren't remotely gambles, whereas for us appointing Rhino it could be a complete toss of a coin.

With great risk comes great reward. We want to stay up it's big Sam. The only way we get a worldclass manager is to choose potential over proven. This has been much of our problem with player recruitment too. We signed the likes of Morgan, rooney and Sigurdsson. Safe good players proven but then they are proven to be just a little short of being good enough for any of the teams above us.

You look down the list of possible managers and they are all a risk in 1 way or another. I'd argue we almost have to take risks while the likes of Barcelona don't. They can attract certainties we can't

October 24, 2017, 10:49:28 PM
Reply #388

sam of the south

I would be very suprised it Moshiri laid all the blame at Koeman's feet, so I would imagine Walsh is skating on pretty thin ice right now.

Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

October 24, 2017, 10:52:20 PM
Reply #389

Hawkandro

From comments Koeman made following the closure of the transfer window, it sounded like they decided not to pursue any of the other players lined up behind Giroud due to value for money, so I would imagine Ronald is just as culpable for this as Walsh.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.