Who would you like in charge?

Marco Silva
Rafa Benitez
Brendan Rodgers
Eddie Howe
Mikel Arteta
Arsene Wenger
AN Other

Author Topic: Who should we go for? POLL RESET  (Read 169057 times)

May 20, 2018, 01:59:31 AM
Reply #45

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I feel a bit weird as he has gone off the rails due to the "bullying" of him but I am siding with @BlueForYou  on this

Any managment appointment is a risk. We need to find the next Guardiola, or Mourinho or Ancelloti. Nagelsmann is the perfect example. Took over a team in relegation trouble as a 30 year old and now is one of the most sought after managers.

We loved Arteta as a player but he is never a great like a Maradonna or a Gazza. By all accounts of people in the know, Arteta has all the traits to be a very good manager. Studies the game, good people person, learning from the best and apparently instrumental in improving some of Cities younger players like Sterling.

That's the nature of the forum. It's often a bunch of people against one.

I've not read every single post on this thread as frankly, it's boring after a while, but if you and he thinks Arteta would be a good option, who is anyone to say yay or nay? No one knows. Let's face it, the front runner is hardly that inspiring, although I am trying to warm to the idea of Silva in hope that he finally is able to click with us and stick around longer than 5 minutes to build a team. But Arteta could be the next Pep. Or he could be the next Martinez. Who knows?
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

May 20, 2018, 02:36:53 AM
Reply #46

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It's not just a case of 'who knows' though. It's about minimising risk in the appointment, and one of the better ways to minimise risk is to appoint someone who has actually done the role (see the difference between Steve Walsh and Marcel Brands as DoFs). It's a completely different gig being part of a team of coaching staff, to being the man that makes 100 decisions per day, where the buck stops. I think it would be ludicrous to appoint Arteta, or any other ex-player, based purely on sentiment and good looks.

I'm been broadly pro-Silva for a while, but not completely wedded to the idea, if a better candidate becomes available. But the more I think and read about it, I think Silva is going to be an excellent appointment for us, and could well be the man to take us to the next level. I think he is primed to take a club and mould it, and I'm really pleased it's us giving him that opportunity.

That's not what I was talking about though. I was commenting on the nature of the forum.

As for Arteta, I would never even have considered him had his name not cropped up a few weeks back.

I don't really want either him or Silva, Emery remains my choice, but I doubt we'll get him. We'll see what Mr Brands can come up with though. Whoever gets the job, I'll be behind him. As long as it's not another Allardyce clone.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

May 21, 2018, 12:21:58 AM
Reply #47

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Wasn’t Steve McLaren Fergies number 1 at one point?

May 21, 2018, 09:54:02 AM
Reply #48

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
It appears that Conte may be available in the near future, just saying.
He’s heading back to Italy I think. And I don’t think he would be that good for us anyway.

May 23, 2018, 08:19:43 PM
Reply #49

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Need to do another poll reset I think.

Although now, Silva will be the top pick as better options have been snapped up.

May 29, 2018, 12:51:43 AM
Reply #50

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Neither Howe not Silva has an autobiographical book ....maybe that's why Moshiri is stalling .😅

Waiting for one of them to write one you mean? :)