November 21, 2017, 06:17:41 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 18625 times)

November 08, 2017, 10:05:26 PM
Reply #510

kramer0

He seems like he wanta a high press. That's all well and good but we also have a defence that wants to sit deep so that leaves a big gap between our midfield and the defence which is where the opposition can pick us off easily

Yep, very true.

With our slow defenders, we'd be better off with a mid-block press. Give them the ball in their own third, press them when they advance the ball anywhere meaningful.

deCoubertin

November 08, 2017, 11:37:54 PM
Reply #511

Ridge

Think he'll be given a contract until the end of the season shortly. Any which way you cut it, he's got his players from U23's performing. Replacing him ensures that practically entire squad is demoralised and we're back to square one in terms of getting things going.

This was the decision time and it needs some bravery from Moshiri and board, but I think he's exuded calmness and control and got the team improving and developing, main players couldn't appear much more motivated. And he's not come in and started calling players shit. He gave Mirallas, Schneiderlin and Martina chances to be part of the team and they've not delivered. But both have already signaled that they made a poor decision and want to play for him.

When prep time for games increases from 3 days to a week, and players are more settled, we'll find out much more about what he wants. At the moment, it's trying to work out what he's trying to do and you can't leap a chasm in 2 jumps.

Evenb if we find it doesn't work out in a few months time, we'll have several youngsters who have developed and been given game time. So far players like Davies, DCL, Lookman have looked more confident and ready to deliver and change games.

We don't have endless options and getting the best out of the younger players, with a coach they respect and like, seems the best option. If we could get Guardiola or something then maybe not, but the only interest was from the usual suspects and while others may become more interested and things improve, fuck them, Unsworth was happy to take the world on his back and thanked us for the opportunity, he's a servant to the club, not himself.

November 08, 2017, 11:46:03 PM
Reply #512

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Would people be feeling differently if the Watford game was Unsworth's first game in charge? (as it should've been if we'd timed the Koeman sacking intelligently). I suspect a fair few people would. But we've ruined his chances by giving him three hard away games to start with. Top stuff by the powers that be.

HAHAHaHA!!!! What a load of tosh. Can't stop laughing at this.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 09, 2017, 12:52:26 AM
Reply #513

KoemansNumberTens

He's odds on now. Shortest price there's been on anyone on betfair.
I voted for him. I am a little worried that it might be a decision based on sentiment rather than wisdom though.
Wonder if we'd won without the stirring comeback he'd have got less marks for that. We signed rooney blinded by the romance of it. Hope it's not the same with unsworth

November 09, 2017, 12:56:10 AM
Reply #514

D15TIN

He's odds on now. Shortest price there's been on anyone on betfair.
I voted for him. I am a little worried that it might be a decision based on sentiment rather than wisdom though.
Wonder if we'd won without the stirring comeback he'd have got less marks for that. We signed rooney blinded by the romance of it. Hope it's not the same with unsworth
As time goes on it looks more and more likely Unsworth until the end of the season or until Jan, think we should see how we get on against Palace now

November 09, 2017, 01:03:20 AM
Reply #515

BlueForYou

Would that be a win against Palace, he carries on?

Lose, we get someone else? How long would that take? December?

Draw? Stay or go back with the U23's?

A decision has to be made before that game - and stick to it
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

November 12, 2017, 08:56:47 PM
Reply #516

Ridge

Unsworth is the most impressive English coach not managing a first team prior to taking reins. He's made brave decisions and he's shown a clear direction in how he wants the team to play and develop. For a team drained of confidence when he came in, poor defensively, no goals, he'd lost his first 3 games, we were 2-0 down at home and he didn't falter or panic, and things came good. Maybe some luck with keeper, but Lennon non penalty and few other moments that could have gone differently in other games before then.

We look more stable at the back, and pose much more of a threat going forward. Now he has a week to get players together for coaching and team building. 4 games in 13 days was a baptism of fire, first 3 away against very good opposition.

Struggling to work out why it's taking so long to sort. Wonder if someone like Hiddink, Van Gaal, or Ancelotti is interested.

November 12, 2017, 09:23:02 PM
Reply #517

everton1952

It's taking so long because Unsie is not their first choice. If things don't pan out as they hope, he may become the only choice.

November 12, 2017, 09:29:29 PM
Reply #518

Ridge

I don't think we'll have a more suitable youth manager in next decade, and I don't think there's ever been a more suitable time.

I can understand fear and caution, but he needs a contract to have the stability, so every game isn't a matter of life or death.

November 12, 2017, 09:41:09 PM
Reply #519

everton1952

If a new manager comes soon and loses a couple of games "he is finding his feet", if Unsie loses 2 more games in the near future, panic will set in and the board's judgment doubted.

November 17, 2017, 06:13:52 AM
Reply #520

Ridge

I'm hopeful after we beat Palace, he'll get the contract until the end of the season now.

Surely, we're running out of barrels to scrape.

November 17, 2017, 06:20:15 AM
Reply #521

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Always said I was interested to see what he could do, also said I wanted him to succeed but was worried it was too soon

Have to say I'm more worried that there is any truth in the royle picking the sides story tbh. Royle should be no where near picking a prem xi

If it's not royle then the worry would be unsworth seems to have written players off very quickly and every game we have gone two nil down

Simply simply lovely

November 17, 2017, 06:44:55 AM
Reply #522

Ridge

All the speculation is because of the lack of clarity over the manager position, it raises questions, provides no answers.

If we'd just given the job to Unsworth in the first place, fans would have a much better opinion of him. After giving him 4 games to try and turn it around, you need to make a decision shortly after the 4th game and again we decided to look about.

Managers want big contracts not just for the money, but also to protect their position. When it's vulnerable, there is no stability and any manager would struggle to retain authority. It's a lack of respect and that transmits to players, fans and media.

November 17, 2017, 12:12:10 PM
Reply #523

Bluedylan

HAHAHaHA!!!! What a load of tosh. Can't stop laughing at this.

No mate. Sacking a manager at a specific time to give the caretaker/new manager the best possible chance to start well (ie more winnable games) is genuinely a thing. That's not even an opinion or one side of a debate. It's something that happens all the time, and something that boards consider.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 17, 2017, 12:44:06 PM
Reply #524

GrantyBoy78

I'm hopeful after we beat Palace, he'll get the contract until the end of the season now.

Surely, we're running out of barrels to scrape.
I think after we lose to Palace, heíll be out the picture.

Can then see us going for Dyche.

Happy to be proven wrong and itís all about opinions bud!