November 24, 2017, 12:19:12 AM

Author Topic: Lyon v Everton  (Read 9499 times)

October 30, 2017, 11:14:54 PM
Reply #45

D15TIN

Might aswell give a few cast offs a go here, were out and need 3pts sunday

Robles

Martina Holgate Williams Baines

Baningime Schneiderlin Klaasen

Sigurdsson

DCL Sandro

October 30, 2017, 11:16:44 PM
Reply #46

D15TIN

A few out-of-favours to "prove their worth":

Pickford
          Kenny       Holgate            Keane        Martina
                  Klaassen      Schneiderlin      Vlasic
                                      Sigurdsson
                  Lookman                              Sandro

(And Beni not registered)

Need our strongest available for Goodison on Sunday

Beni doesn't have to be - he's U21 and been at Everton for over 2 years

October 30, 2017, 11:20:45 PM
Reply #47

Deano Blue Boy

Had flights and accommodation booked for this ages ago. Hope we win, and hopefully it'll be a boss atmosphere over there with no trouble.

October 30, 2017, 11:31:24 PM
Reply #48

BlueForYou

I thought we had to register a 27 man squad for the League games for Europa?

Beni not included, but confusingly, the out on loan Callum Connolly is!
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 30, 2017, 11:36:03 PM
Reply #49

Coyb12

Might aswell give a few cast offs a go here, were out and need 3pts sunday

Robles

Martina Holgate Williams Baines

Baningime Schneiderlin Klaasen

Sigurdsson

DCL Sandro
I would go with that apart from baines I would throw Garbutt in.

October 30, 2017, 11:40:31 PM
Reply #50

BlueForYou

Garbutt not registered for any games until January
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 31, 2017, 12:00:06 AM
Reply #51

eyesalwaysblue

Brexit
I still despise Clive Thomas..

October 31, 2017, 12:03:15 AM
Reply #52

Coyb12

Garbutt not registered for any games until January
Didn't know that,ta.

October 31, 2017, 12:21:35 AM
Reply #53

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think we'd see much better performances from Schneiderlin playing at the base of a midfield three, like Baningime has in his last two appearances. Our spacing is good in that sort of system and Schneiderlin, despite generally being safe with his passing, is very accurate when he has actual options.

The line-up I'd most like to see at some point in the near future (not necessarily mid-week if we're prioritizing Watford):

GK: Pickford
RB: Kenny
CB: Keane
CB: Jagielka
LB: Baines
DM: Schneiderlin
CM: Davies
CM: Sigurdsson
RAM: Vlasic
CF: Rooney
LAM: Mirallas

We'll have some difficulty scoring from open play (a problem not unique to that configuration) but we'll be sturdy defensively and we should be able to control the ball some, with Rooney moving side-to-side and creating overloads on the flanks (think second half against Chelsea, before the subs). Sigurdsson offers a threat from set plays, and he and Davies can join attacks (not that Sigurdsson + Davies +Mirallas/Vlasic is who you want to be aiming at after some good build-up play but it's better than nothing). Plus, we have the option to drop a midfielder and bring on Calvert-Lewin or Niasse for the last 30 minutes to chase any goals we need.

We're a slow team as currently constructed so we have no real choice but to play deliberately. For whatever it's worth, I think if we had started in a 4-3-3 against Leicester, we might have actually been able to keep them out. The bulk of their chances came from Gray drifting into the space behind Davies/Gana.

Yes I fee the same way, tempted to try Davies / Sig and Davies / Klaassen with Schneiderlin or Gana as the single sitting DM.

Sticks in the craw to drop Gana for Schneiderlin but we need to do something to this midfield and pushing Gana up to be able to get his tackles into the side despite sacrificing forward passing isn't working for me.

henen looks to have been moved into the first team, I wonder if unsworth is thinking of using him wide forward Mirallas style or cf?

The rooney question is really plaguing me. Clearly head and shoulders technically, but his natural proclivity for dropping as deep as humanely possible isn't doing us the favours he thinks it is.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 31, 2017, 12:23:36 AM
Reply #54

boothill

Had flights and accommodation booked for this ages ago. Hope we win, and hopefully it'll be a boss atmosphere over there with no trouble.
If you can, go to an eatery called notre maison and order the beef cheek, fantastic

October 31, 2017, 12:23:56 AM
Reply #55

D15TIN

I'd play Mirallas ST against Watford

October 31, 2017, 12:32:29 AM
Reply #56

Deano Blue Boy

If you can, go to an eatery called notre maison and order the beef cheek, fantastic

If I stumble across it, I will heed your advice.

October 31, 2017, 12:34:53 AM
Reply #57

American Evertonian

I would just start using these games as bonus matches to experiment with the lineup and hope that we can find a winning combination. Like someone said earlier - it's about survival now.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

October 31, 2017, 01:26:45 AM
Reply #58

TheTone

Pickford
        Kenny Jagielka Williams Baines
    Lennon McCarthy Schneiderlin Gana Davies

DCL

October 31, 2017, 01:49:31 AM
Reply #59

gizzblue

Would like to see Rooney and Davies not travel for this .....Bring in Sandro and Morgs. .stick with the wingers we started with against Leicester. .but with Morgs behind guaye .