October 23, 2019, 07:14:17 AM

Author Topic: Which striker to go for in January?  (Read 28876 times)

November 13, 2017, 09:43:21 AM
Reply #240

Shogun

Administrator
There's so much of the season to go that it's ridiculous to say we're a relegation contender when we're only four points from 8th place.

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. We've been diabolical all season and we're currently 15th. Nobody thought Chelsea would get relegated in 2015-16 when they were 16th after 12 games and we won't either. We've got rid of our manager, no Europe to 'distract' and some key players to come back from injury whilst things already look on the up after beating Watford.

The hysterical mindset is annoying.

November 13, 2017, 11:15:32 AM
Reply #241

bluenuck

There's so much of the season to go that it's ridiculous to say we're a relegation contender when we're only four points from 8th place.

Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. We've been diabolical all season and we're currently 15th. Nobody thought Chelsea would get relegated in 2015-16 when they were 16th after 12 games and we won't either. We've got rid of our manager, no Europe to 'distract' and some key players to come back from injury whilst things already look on the up after beating Watford.

Playing devils advocate. I think the annoying part can go both ways. It's annoying hearing people say we won't be relegated with such confidence just because we're Everton and we have history(I know you're not saying that). Right now there's not more than 2 teams that look worse than us, we've had a lucky win against fukkin Watford, and we have to go another 6+ weeks without a real striker and shite defence.

Again, I'm playin devils advocate, and I think we'll manage to work our way back up the table to a good spot, But it's quite annoying reading how confident people are when we're proper shit.

November 13, 2017, 01:40:16 PM
Reply #242

GrantyBoy78

Playing devils advocate. I think the annoying part can go both ways. It's annoying hearing people say we won't be relegated with such confidence just because we're Everton and we have history(I know you're not saying that). Right now there's not more than 2 teams that look worse than us, we've had a lucky win against fukkin Watford, and we have to go another 6+ weeks without a real striker and shite defence.

Again, I'm playin devils advocate, and I think we'll manage to work our way back up the table to a good spot, But it's quite annoying reading how confident people are when we're proper shit.
We’ve been shite every single game and our squad is ordinary and unbalanced; that’s why I’m worried.

I don’t think we’re going to get relegated but there’s zero evidence we can put a run together and get into the top half.

We’ll have a better after the Palace game - which I think we’ll lose.

November 13, 2017, 02:16:50 PM
Reply #243

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Yeah but we don’t look like we’ve been unlucky, we look absolute shite and we’ve been lucky to get the wins we’ve had - a late pen, a mad Oumar-powered comeback and the oppo missing a pen etc.

If we looked like we were playing well but just hitting the post or whatever then yeah sound, but we absolutely deserve to be bottom 3 and the next 3 games are absolutely vital to our survival - Palace, Huddersfield and West Ham.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 13, 2017, 02:33:24 PM
Reply #244

bluenuck

Yeah but we don’t look like we’ve been unlucky, we look absolute shite and we’ve been lucky to get the wins we’ve had - a late pen, a mad Oumar-powered comeback and the oppo missing a pen etc.

If we looked like we were playing well but just hitting the post or whatever then yeah sound, but we absolutely deserve to be bottom 3 and the next 3 games are absolutely vital to our survival - Palace, Huddersfield and West Ham.

We're proper shit and completely unbalanced. People need to realize it quickly.

It's hard to listen to people laugh off relegation like its nothing to worry about. I'm not in full freak out mode, but relegation can happen for this team if we're not careful.

November 13, 2017, 02:39:50 PM
Reply #245

ally2

4 points off 8th is also a weird metric. 7th is the target so the correct metric is 8 points off of 7th. Chasing down 8 points is not easy. You have to win a lot AND rely on 7 other teams all dropping points all the time. That's statistically very difficult, especially when you're garbage and only just managed to fluke yourself out of 19th place.

November 13, 2017, 04:32:27 PM
Reply #246

BlueNoseMike

The league outside of the Top 6 is full of shite and ordinary teams. We were on our own in 7th last year and we've dipped back into that chasing pack. It's not even a chasing pack as none of them show ambitions to chase the top 6. Yes we've been shocking but any other team in that 13 could go on an equally worse run. None have the potential to go on a big winning run so I can imagine if we can get our act together a top 10,  or 8 or whatever finish is still a realistic aim.

The quality outside that top 6 means we still have a chance of top 7 (providing the right people come in in January)

November 13, 2017, 04:45:05 PM
Reply #247

Jamokachi

This team finished comfortably 7th last season, and we've lost 1 player. I have complete faith that a new manager can get us drilled, instil some confidence and get us playing again, The squad has been improved. Stop losing your heads.

November 13, 2017, 10:03:34 PM
Reply #248

Rhys

4 points off 8th is also a weird metric. 7th is the target so the correct metric is 8 points off of 7th. Chasing down 8 points is not easy. You have to win a lot AND rely on 7 other teams all dropping points all the time. That's statistically very difficult, especially when you're garbage and only just managed to fluke yourself out of 19th place.

It is difficult but becomes a lot easier when you look at the quality of teams around those places. If we were talking about gaining 8 points on the top 6 teams when it's likely they all get 75+ points even before looking at our troubles it would be very difficult as we found last year when we were in form and scoring goals.

However when it's burnley and Brighton 8 points above us it becomes much more feasible especially when you have 27 games to catch that amount of points not as though we are down to the last 10 games. Burnley and Brighton aren't likely to get to 50 points in my opinion, I think it's more than likely when we get players back in form and some confidence behind them with additions in January we are comfortably above both of them by the end of the season as they have been performing miracles and we are doing as badly as we have in a long time.

November 13, 2017, 10:49:59 PM
Reply #249

D15TIN

Totally get what youre saying, but I would say other than palace weve played the worst football this season, weve not had 1 good performance and have to manage without a striker, and a lack of options at the back until Jan, I too think we'll be fine and finish in a respectable position, but weve been shite and have a number of problems

November 13, 2017, 10:51:26 PM
Reply #250

Bluedylan

It's not intended as a metric or a target. It's an illustration of how tight the league is and how easy it would be to climb it, with any semblance of decent form.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 13, 2017, 10:53:15 PM
Reply #251

Bluedylan

Totally get what youre saying, but I would say other than palace weve played the worst football this season, weve not had 1 good performance and have to manage without a striker, and a lack of options at the back until Jan, I too think we'll be fine and finish in a respectable position, but weve been shite and have a number of problems

All true, and we're STILL only 4 points off 8th.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

November 13, 2017, 10:57:10 PM
Reply #252

D15TIN

All true, and we're STILL only 4 points off 8th.
Think as someone has said, the quality outside of the top 6/7 is very average

November 13, 2017, 11:05:02 PM
Reply #253

D15TIN

I see that Belfodil, the one Walsh wanted has scored once in 17 this season.

November 14, 2017, 12:08:38 AM
Reply #254

GrantyBoy78

A lot of pressure on this knight in shining armour striker we’re bringing in...