October 18, 2019, 11:09:32 AM

Author Topic: Which striker to go for in January?  (Read 28696 times)

October 30, 2017, 10:54:41 PM
Read 28696 times

Mayor Farnum

Something clever written by someone else.

November 12, 2017, 02:48:23 PM
Reply #1

Mayor Farnum

I remember when I posted that losing Lukaku would leave us in deep trouble, I got a lot of pushback. This is when everyone had dreams of top 4.

Is that all your successful posts or can you do a montage?

November 14, 2017, 01:08:56 AM
Reply #2

Mayor Farnum

Should have just gone for Dembele and Tierney for 50 million. Would at least fix two problems and both would be at a decent level relatively quickly.

It's a while since a striker came down from Scotland and made an impact in the English League.

November 14, 2017, 10:52:21 PM
Reply #3

Mayor Farnum

Dembele scored 15 goals in his last 45 games for Fulham in the Championship at the age of 20. By no means disgraceful but we'd have to keep the price reasonably sensible if we were to go for him. He is still untried at anything like Premier League level.

November 17, 2017, 06:33:25 PM
Reply #4

Mayor Farnum

You just have to look at the make-up of the sides to know they are not Joe Royle sides.

November 18, 2017, 03:38:24 PM
Reply #5

Mayor Farnum

The scout who lured Moussa Dembele to Celtic has revealed how Everton asked his advice over a 30million bid for the striker after selling Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United.

David Moss, who quit as Celtic's head of scouting in June to take up a role as Huddersfield Town's head of football operations, told Sportsmail: 'Everton were a club who phoned me up about him. They said: "David, what do you think?" I said: "Don't even blink, don't even think about it, sign him. It's a no-brainer".'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5094677/Everton-asked-advice-30m-bid-Moussa-Dembele.html

So finding a striker that can score in the SPL makes you a scouting guru now.

November 27, 2017, 02:54:52 AM
Reply #6

Mayor Farnum

I've seen Britt Assombalonga a couple of times this season(on TV) he's looked good.

November 27, 2017, 03:31:10 AM
Reply #7

Mayor Farnum

No

I play with boro fans and season ticket holders, he's wank by all accounts and they massively overpaid for him

Fair enough as I said I've only seen him a couple times on TV but he's quick and maintained a decent scoring record throughout his career.

December 02, 2017, 04:07:29 PM
Reply #8

Mayor Farnum

I've always thought Benteke was a very streaky striker and similar to Yakubu had some horrendous droughts. He'll rattle 5 goals in 5 games then go 10 games without scoring. I know he's had his injuries but he's played nine games this season and yet to score. He's only had one season where he got close to 20 goals (19) and that was 5 years ago now, since then he's had 10, 13, 10 and 15, for the figures being quoted you'd want a minimum 15 goals a season and between fitness and form I don't see him doing that.

To be fair he didn't play every week for Liverpool and the other seasons his goals kept Villa and Palace up. But I agree he is streak;y but apart from players at top clubs most strikers are.
However, he's not worth the risk at 50 million.