November 15, 2018, 01:47:42 AM

Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 13722 times)

November 01, 2017, 01:40:35 AM
Read 13722 times

Lxxx

Think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

We havenít played well for 90 minutes this season, we have no goal threat and our defending is a shambles.

No of course weíre not down already but letís not think itís going to be a walk in the park to get out of this. Weíre as bad a team as there is in the league at the minute, even Palace can call upon Benteke when heís fit.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:03:14 AM by Lxxx »

November 01, 2017, 03:56:02 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

The midfield is for me where we've dropped off a cliff. Granted we've lost a goal threat but we had a pretty solid team last season, bar some poor individual results which skewed the stats a little. This season we offer nothing in the middle of the park, no protection for the back four, no support to the strikers, no attempt at being progressive with the ball, no energy.

We could get away with not having much threat up top as long as we were a solid team and you're always in with a chance of sneaking a goal via a set piece or a bit of good play. However teams are walking through us at will, getting to the back four with ease and the gap between DCL and the rest is too big.

Barry going was a huge mistake, which says a lot when you consider his age and ability to play consecutive games but it's true. This whole season has been a succession of poor decisions.

November 01, 2017, 05:55:20 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Can't agree more with that statement there Si.

It does however worry me how woefully off form the midfield are and how old the back 4 are with nothing we can do about it till Jan.

Everything looks better with a couple of wins though and we have to have faith in Unsworth that he'll get us winning.

No team goes through a run of form like this for 38 games, especially not with the quality we possess.

Whilst I agree it's not as bad as many fear do we really possess lots of quality? Half of our squad are youngsters learning their trade and the rest are made up of a mix of players past their best and others woefully out of form with rock bottom confidence.
It's very easy to say let's just put some back to wins together and we'll roll from there but one of them wins isn't going to be away, judging by the fact we're nearly a year since we've done just that, and at home we can't beat the likes of Burnley or even a bunch of Cypriot journeymen.

If we had some stand out performances this season to refer to as evidence we can click when things go our way I'd be more optimistic. I suppose a lot rests on this weekend, a win and things look different, a draw or loss and who knows where we go from here.

November 01, 2017, 06:20:35 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

Not everything is because of tactics and formation - they are internationals and have been making consistent errors all season.

True. If Schneiderlin didn't cost £24m he wouldn't get near the first team at the minute. He has shown no energy, no fight, no inclination to do anything other than the bare minimum, which he has done poorly. Shame as he can look like a rolls royce of a player when things are going well, but he looks a bit mentally weak to me, not the type you want when you're up against it.

November 01, 2017, 06:21:24 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Performances have been bad but when you look at the results, how many league results have been unexpected? Not counting the number of goals shipped, this puts into perspective where we should be in the table given the run of fixtures we have had. These are based on just my opinion going into the season what we should be expecting and nothing else. They are all estimates and I am sure you will all have differing thoughts.

Stoke (H) - W 1-0 - Expected
Man City (A) - D 1-1 - Unexpected - Plus 1 Point (expected loss)
Chelsea (A) - L - 0-2 - Expected
Spurs (H) - L 0-3 - Unexpected - Minus 1 Point (expected draw)
Man Utd (A) - L 0-4 - Expected
Bournemouth (H) - W 2-1 - Expected
Burnley (H) - L -0-1 - Unexpected - Minus 3 Points (expected win)
Brighton (A) - D 1-1 - Unexpected - Minus 2 Points (expected win)
Arsenal (H) - L 2-5 - Unexpected - Minus 1 Point (expected draw)
Leicester (A) - L 0-2 - Unexpected - Minus 1 Point (expected draw)

So, given the above, we should probably be 7 points better off, and these points should have come in the last 4 games. This would put us 8th/9th depending on goal diff, which would have been a satisfactory start.

All immaterial, let's stick to reality not alternate universes.

November 01, 2017, 07:19:34 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

It's easy to write on a forum that we'll get a few wins, I agree with you there.

I do worry that the league has passed us by a bit in recent years - teams aren't scared of anyone anymore and most teams have invested in their sides, which is why us signing a load of players isn't getting us ahead of anyone.

We do have a number of players over the hill, without doubt. They need replacing desperately, but these aren't the issue currently.

My issue lies with Schniederlin and Gueye the most - seasoned pros supposedly in their prime who are doing absolutely shite all week in week out.

I do think we need to edge a win out of somewhere and suddenly confidence improves and results follow.

It's been a horrendous start, the worst imaginable really. But it's only been 10 games.

We can't jump the gun and get an Allardyce in - it paints us as a clueless and small time club. We need to have faith in Unsworth.

Could be worse though - imagine Niasse hadn't scored them goals against Bournemouth :(

Or a last minute penalty against Brighton.

It's also 17 games not just 10. In those 17 games we've wrote off the league, bombed our best chance of a trophy and virtually out of Europe, the competition which was supposed to herald the new dawn to Everton, international exposure to our new project.

I agree about Schneiderlin and Gueye, quite why we needed to give him a new contract at this time I don't know. I remember the days when you had to be pulling up trees to get a payrise now you just have to be able bodied, as evidenced with Mirallas too.

Still, three points at weekend and everyone will be talking about 7th again.

November 02, 2017, 09:10:22 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

To be honest brap for me it's the only solution to sort this mess out.It's a million miles from ideal,but at least he has a bit of nous about him,the others are simply not up to the job.Leave him up front,stop him chasing back looking for the ball and hope we can nick a few 1-0s until this shambles can be addressed in January.

There lies the problem. Never in his career has he had the discipline to stay in one position so he's not going to start now.

November 03, 2017, 03:42:38 AM
Reply #7

Lxxx

I think if the effort is there the crowd will get behind them because it's Unsworths first home game (this time around) and because there's young players in the team.

I don't think luck needs to come into it at all. We need to take our chances when they come.

I think we do need the rub of the green you know. It's easy to say we should take our chances but we don't have players clinical enough to take chances when they come, which is few and far between.

A scruffy goal, a penalty, an own goal even. Something to ignite us which probably won't come from a flowing move and a clinical finish. We're in the market for scraps when your general play doesn't bring many chances from open play.

November 03, 2017, 06:37:11 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

The reality is, we are bottom three. Canít score goals, canít defend. Do not have a true leader on the field, and management at our club is letting us down. Our money goes to pay people who can make decisions. Whoever decided to play Sigurdsson as a lone striker should never ever go near a football pitch ever again.

Ever since we were thrown out of Europe, due to our classless neighbours. Our management has been shocking, I personally have had enough of the time, effort, and money I have put into this club. I believe we are doomed this season. My love affair with the blues is sadly coming to an end.

If you were here under Walter I'm not sure why present circumstances feel so bad.

November 05, 2017, 06:36:54 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

Not even close.

Stones Barkley Lukaku were all 40-50m rated players in the spine of the team a few years ago, all either playing CL or soon to be now.

Plus jags Baines Coleman Barry a year younger.

That team would fucking bum this one everywhere

Depressing ain't it. Three of the Premier League's top talents, binned off to be replaced by Williams, Rooney and Klaassan. I could cry.

November 05, 2017, 08:01:41 PM
Reply #10

Lxxx

They all wanted to leave, so binned off is wrong. Plus we haven’t signed the Lukaku replacement yet ;)

Underlying issue though yes, in that we’ve not tried to sign similar profile players.

Instead going for (very) cheap younger players and spending the money on proven players who (so far) haven’t settled to produce what you expect.

Semantics. We sold two players under contract without already having a replacement lined up of sufficient quality to replace them. On top of that we've decided to replace Barkley with players who wouldn't get in the team ahead of him if he was fit. Poor planning on a number of levels.