November 22, 2017, 05:29:34 PM

Author Topic: Moshiri  (Read 4915 times)

November 02, 2017, 01:21:37 AM
Read 4915 times

Ridge

We have had a few threads on Koeman, on Walsh as to addressing problems in terms of the team.

When Koeman was struggling he was blaming the recruitment and I think most see his point in terms of balance. With Walsh I think there are questions about some of the players and the maybe the fees, but we had to do a lot of business very quickly. Not only replacing key players, european fixtures, but with increased ambition and pockets. People knew Lukaku was going and we had money, there was no way to get around that, and Moshiri always talked about spending big, probably getting a bit ahead of things in terms of expectations.

But I'm starting to strongly suspect Sigurdsson is actually Moshiri's 'special' player. Walsh and Koeman rate him, but neither seems to want to own him and he has played a bit like an outcast. It ended up at the sort of figure I think someone higher up had to love.
Both Walsh and Koeman would have had a hard job convincing people to spend that sort of money or for what purpose.

For Walsh, that's not going to make a profit, and he doesn't really fit the mould of what Koeman wanted. I think it was a case that no one else was going to question the wisdom of the person in charge, that fits Moshiri better than anyone else given circumstances. It's clearly not the right tool for the job, its not a prudent investment and Koeman specifically said he had no creativity, I took that as a direct or indirect swipe at Sigurdsson given his assists.

Koeman had to go and I think that it was clear that Moshiri was one of the last few to believe it was going to work. But Unsworth was not really on his radar of interest, he wants someone with the results on paper, the excitement for the fans. But he's not given any encouragement or support to Unsworth, and seems to have already excluded in his mind. To be undermining after a couple of games is stupid.

Change direction decisively and don't panic when you've only just changed. If you give Unsworth 4 games, back him for the duration and don't undermine him. If you want to ensure survival, we could give Unsworth period to get team playing to introduce youngsters and give a new manager the start of a team. But put him under the knife from the off and what are you expecting? I can understand he wants control and authority and sees his project slipping down the pan, but I think we are in danger of getting a rotating deck chairs on titanic scenario. Lots of people want to settle for security early, but we have time and players to get out of this, but we need to build a bit of continuity.

I'm really not keen on the gossiping to Jim White, it's like he has a better idea or role than he needs. Sanchez, by all means break the bank for, but do we need to embarrass ourselves pleading for his affection, not long after the window has closed. He's not our player, he's a key player at a bigger club, it's embarrassing.

Chairmen are supposed to oversee, not to interfere and distract. There just seems too much desire to be the centre of attention in a way that even Kenwright appreciated he shouldn't. Say what you want about Kenwright, he knew his time to shine and when it was time to reflect or support a manager rather than scramble everything through anxiety and fear.

deCoubertin

November 02, 2017, 01:29:16 AM
Reply #1

Ridge

And to be clear this is more intended as an observation or critique than a call to oust him or build resentment.

I know some will take exception to Kenwright being put in a favourable light. And I have huge appreciation for the direction the club is going under Moshiri with the new stadium and investing in the things we already did well to take them to another stage.

I just worry that some of the good work is getting undermined out of panic. Think he just needs to calm his shit down and we had lots more of these sorts of problems in Kenwright's early days. It's not all stuff you intuitively know, sometimes you want fans to know you want better, that you're trying your hardest, but sometimes you have to stand in the way of the turds being flung, not deflect them internally.

November 02, 2017, 01:44:25 AM
Reply #2

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I thought Koeman wanted Sigurdsson since the summer he came in..? I thought there were rumours or stories of that nature even back then. He didn't particularly rate Barkley at any stage is my personal opinion, hence all the calling him out comparative to other players.

So Koeman (IMO) wanted him out and we ended up with Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klaassen coming in.

I'd genuinely love to know the backroom thinking and who was pulling the strings on those picks. If any of those three was a vanity project for the sake of the board you'd have to wonder about Rooney. I tend to think though that wasn't that either, we were likely approached to see if we were interested and it went from there. Koeman always seemed on board with that one too. In fact, Koeman seemingly was on board with all of them...he only seems to have put his transfer problems at the feet of not getting in Giroud. To a certain extent, his plan while not probably leading to awesome football would have been a fair bit better with a player of that ability up front. So I doubt Sigurdsson was a misstep to him.

Overall though, I don't think aside from media interviews there has been any sign of Moshiri interfering in the transfer plans.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:49:44 AM by blueToffee »

November 02, 2017, 02:20:21 AM
Reply #3

Cereal Killer

No, if it was Moshiri who really wanted Sigurdsson he'd of just paid the asking price rather than dicking around for ages over a few million

November 02, 2017, 02:28:42 AM
Reply #4

Bluedylan

I like him, and have found very little to complain about in his time here. Not even that arsed about the Jim White stuff.

He's still got plenty to learn, no doubt, and the club probably does need a bit of an overhaul in some key positions, but I remember the pre-Moshiri days all too clearly and I look at some of the other foreign owners and am relieved that he's benevolent and not insane.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 02, 2017, 02:30:45 AM
Reply #5

blue slug

He makes cash available so all our problems are down to poor purchases and poor management simple as that

November 02, 2017, 02:52:09 AM
Reply #6

toffee_scot

But I'm starting to strongly suspect Sigurdsson is actually Moshiri's 'special' player. Walsh and Koeman rate him, but neither seems to want to own him and he has played a bit like an outcast. It ended up at the sort of figure I think someone higher up had to love.

I thought Koeman had wanted Sigurdsson ever since he was still the manager of Southampton, I think Koeman just struggled to utilise him properly because we had Rooney playing in the exact same role and the manager felt obliged to play Rooney as a guaranteed started for 90 minutes most games. If anything I think Rooney is the 'special' player that the board identified.

Both Walsh and Koeman would have had a hard job convincing people to spend that sort of money or for what purpose.

For Walsh, that's not going to make a profit, and he doesn't really fit the mould of what Koeman wanted. I think it was a case that no one else was going to question the wisdom of the person in charge, that fits Moshiri better than anyone else given circumstances. It's clearly not the right tool for the job, its not a prudent investment and Koeman specifically said he had no creativity, I took that as a direct or indirect swipe at Sigurdsson given his assists.

I wonder who actually controls the budget for transfers and other related fees at the club. From my understanding, Kenwright was the one who negotiated the Sigurdsson deal as he was the one who mentioned to the player he would get the deal done but it would take time. Very little is known about Walsh's remit at the club except he helped identify players for the manager, basically a chief scout of some sort.

Moshiri's background is in accounting, so I would have thought he would be the one most concerned about the books at the club. Since he's been a shareholder at the club, we have done much better on the business side of things including securing more lucrative sponsorship deals in certain areas.

Sometimes though, clubs just have to buy a player entering their peak years (27-30yrs) because they are more likely to hit the ground running with their quality and instantly improve a side. You can't always view these deals in terms of re-sale value. The club probably genuinely thought Sigurdsson was the player who would transform Everton from just a top 7 side into a top-4 competing side.

Chairmen are supposed to oversee, not to interfere and distract. There just seems too much desire to be the centre of attention in a way that even Kenwright appreciated he shouldn't. Say what you want about Kenwright, he knew his time to shine and when it was time to reflect or support a manager rather than scramble everything through anxiety and fear.

Moshiri's PR strategy is still something I don't quite understand. He hasn't really been shown interacting or speaking directly to the Everton fans except one FA Cup victory against Chelsea and then the AGM last year. He seems to have kept largely a low profile except on transfer deadline day or occasionally he would message Jim White with some of his comments have been cringe-worthy at best. To be fair Kenwright has also had some sound bites that would have come back to haunt him like "watch this space" during a disappointing transfer window or "what a manager" a couple of months before Martinez was sacked.

I wouldn't say Moshiri wants to be the centre of attention but I think he is still coming to terms with being the big shot at a big club and has had to make some major decisions and plans for managerial changes, implementing a director of football structure and of course improving the business side of things where he is probably more comfortable working within. 

November 02, 2017, 03:00:59 AM
Reply #7

Simon Paul

Administrator
Well the reason we were linked with Sissoko was because Moshiri was "desperate" to make a marquee signing and spend 30m on one player. He didn't seem to care who it was apparently, he just wanted to make a statement.

November 02, 2017, 03:04:42 AM
Reply #8

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
Well the reason we were linked with Sissoko was because Moshiri was "desperate" to make a marquee signing and spend 30m on one player. He didn't seem to care who it was apparently, he just wanted to make a statement.

What I would do to have a Sissoko in this team right now.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

November 02, 2017, 03:19:59 AM
Reply #9

bluenuck

Source?

November 02, 2017, 03:41:03 AM
Reply #10

blue slug

Not the best way of thinking when buying players

November 02, 2017, 03:41:37 AM
Reply #11

bluenuck

Not the best way of thinking when buying players

How do we know he was thinking this??

November 02, 2017, 04:14:27 AM
Reply #12

School of Science

Koeman full stop wanted Sigurdsson, think Koeman mentioned he could be the difference about us getting Champions league. Koeman became frustrated that the Sigurdsson signing dragged on, it was even mentioned about Moshiri falling out with Swansea's American owners over them keep hiking the price up. To finish off Koeman actually thanked BK  for negotiating and agreeing the deal with Swansea. That was according to the numerous stories on the back pages of different newspapers at the time.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

November 02, 2017, 04:37:59 AM
Reply #13

kramer0

The "statement" stuff is a load of crap. Spending big on a mediocre player is embarrassing and nobody takes notice except to laugh at you after the fact for having a ridiculous valuation. Same deal for managers. It might feel good to hire Ronald Koeman and make him one of the highest paid managers in the world but, in reality, he was never anywhere close to being worth the fuss.

Moshiri's done well at stabilizing our finances and improving our commercial deals but I'm yet to see any evidence that he knows anything about football. The Koeman/Walsh combo was a shambles of the highest order and I doubt the next manager is going to make us any less of a disaster, especially given the names linked.

So... make me eat my words, Farhad.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:44:42 AM by kramer0 »

November 02, 2017, 04:56:35 AM
Reply #14

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
Not impressed at all recently. Dont think he has a clue.
I have to return some videotapes.