November 24, 2017, 04:36:18 AM

Author Topic: Moshiri  (Read 5047 times)

November 02, 2017, 06:44:58 AM
Reply #15

Ridge

A manager will always want more options, Koeman and Walsh were both very keen on Sigurdsson. It's Koeman's responsibility to welcome him and look delighted to press, I'm not saying others weren't interested, but someone is taking authority on that price tag.  It limited our ability in terms of offers and options, later in the window. Someone wouldn't  take no for an answer and we had to pull plug on more important positions we were still trying to fill. Obviously Giroud and Costa didn't happen, we got Vlasic who fell in our lap, but needs time.

Just wonder if some interference from above might make sense of the confusion, in terms of forcing Walsh or Koeman to adjust plans. We had been hoping for a premium option to open up and didn't directly replace Barkley's creativity or Lukaku's goals, 50m on Sigurdsson gives us a set piece taker. What if Kenwright sorted Rooney, Koeman wanted Klaassen and Walsh or Moshiri wanted Sigurdsson anyway. I'm just struggling to understand how you end up with 3 number 10s, but no dribblers or passers, no real dynamic creative player or direct goal threat.

Sigurdsson does fit the pattern of some of the older signings under Walsh. Bolasie cost what seemed a lot, Williams was reasonably expensive for his age and a strange buy when we had Jags, but experienced important players for teams lower in PL. We had a lack of creative players when Bolasie got injured and then Barkley, we knew both had injuries. Vlasic, Lookman look potential but haven't really been given much time and DCL, Sandro have looked like potential longer terms solutions up front.

My concern is that Moshiri is thinking that money spent is still good and another manager has a champions league team on their hands. In current climate 7th would be good for Everton. We could utilise Keane and play more like Burnley, set pieces from Sigurdsson, lump and run, faster players up top and play basketball. To grind out draws, clean sheets, nick the odd win and get some momentum. But I don't see fans being happy and I don't see Moshiri being happy with that compromise, not yet.

It's trying to get blood from a stone, given what we have. Any expansive manager is going to face similar limitations in terms of slow unfamiliar or aging centre back pairing, full backs not that productive or athletic, no creative player and no proven goalscorer. The only way around it is playing the players we have into a team and into form. His recent words and actions are starting to make me think he could be backseat driving or causing unnecessary issues with unrealistic expectations and pressure.

I also wouldn't rule out Barton talking to Jim White about Unsworth having effect on Moshiri. He seems to listen and rate topics on talksport or sky as worthy of response or reaction. I could see him going for a trendy name who's had time and support elsewhere and expect instant changes, or hire a short term firefighter on a short contract who has no major incentive to build, just squeezing the turd.

deCoubertin

November 02, 2017, 02:04:15 PM
Reply #16

Macca77

Lets get rid and go back to the dark days of not having a pot to piss in, leave the cladding though

November 02, 2017, 02:23:52 PM
Reply #17

Lazarou

Amazing how soon we forget how dilapidated Goodison was, a new stadium was a pipe dream, dropping 45 million on one player, investing in the youth facilities, upping our wage structure, paying 6 million a year to a manager. The list goes on there has been some bollocks well and truly dropped but there isn't a club out there that doesn't make mistakes and continues to.

Not sure how he can influence the shit that has been going on, on the pitch, that's what you pay someone 6 million a year for.

November 02, 2017, 02:46:24 PM
Reply #18

Macca77

People are never happy, always moan about shit like the "net spend"

November 02, 2017, 03:13:07 PM
Reply #19

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
People are never happy, always moan about shit like the "net spend"

But you can see why people are unhappy with how the club is at the moment and why people at all levels are being questioned?

November 02, 2017, 03:18:42 PM
Reply #20

Glory

Actually I don't think you can be all that unhappy with how the club has performed commercially since he has taken over.

November 03, 2017, 06:07:14 AM
Reply #21

BlueMaquis

What I'm not happy with is the organisational structure. We have a DOF whose role is unclear to everyone. We have Elstone as CEO and who has just been appointed to the Board. How does that work? If Elstone is underperforming he is part of the structure that decides whether or not he is terminated? Where is the accountability?

If Moshiri is responsible for those changes, I don't see our apparent commercial success lasting very long.

November 03, 2017, 06:55:11 AM
Reply #22

blueski

What I'm not happy with is the organisational structure. We have a DOF whose role is unclear to everyone.
his role is unclear to us the supporters outside the loop.

that doesn't mean his role is unclear to those inside the club
Nil Satis

November 03, 2017, 08:15:30 AM
Reply #23

Ridge

What I'm not happy with is the organisational structure. We have a DOF whose role is unclear to everyone. We have Elstone as CEO and who has just been appointed to the Board. How does that work? If Elstone is underperforming he is part of the structure that decides whether or not he is terminated? Where is the accountability?

If Moshiri is responsible for those changes, I don't see our apparent commercial success lasting very long.

What on earth is Elstone to do with this? Never understood why people don't like him, when they don't appear to know what he is responsible for. I'm sure there's thousand of people blaming BK for this somehow

November 03, 2017, 08:57:00 AM
Reply #24

Ridge

To try and clarify my position as I think some people misinterpreted what was intended. My point with Moshiri, is that I think he's a bit too celebrity football conscious and he's starting to doubt everything he's put in place as well. He doesn't want to spend 100m+ to go from europe to relegation fight and out of all competitions by end of October. But he needs to understand the context, that the cohesion and quality of the players is not going to arrive overnight. It was just that Sigurdsson in particular seems like a folly for someone.

My worry is that rather than settling things down and acting calmly, I get an worrying impression that Moshiri is thinking about appointing someone like Allardyce to keep us up. I wouldn't be surprised if that also signalled him scaling back in his ambitions for the club and general disinterest from fans. People can talk about him keeping teams up, but they weren't clubs with as much pride. At Newcastle he was never taken in by fans and was sacked in 6 months, I would expect less time here and then relegation is real threat.

Problem has not just been about transfers, it's the squad turnover, lack of cohesion, degredation and collapse of the team and no growth of a new one. That was all pretty much Koeman, as the team got worse, it was no longer just the players fault, it became the person who bought the players fault, and we're left with the fallout of a manager saying no one is good enough as he ran it into the ground and took out anger.

Koeman was the turd in the punch bowl for me, I can understand why Walsh shoulders blame for unbalanced transfer policy. But no one who knew him, wanted to play for Koeman, we saw that with incomings and outgoings. Walsh is working with a managers specifications in mind and manager has enough authority to be more central to direction of transfer policy. I just think Koeman is not someone players want to play for. maybe lazy in terms of input to recruitment, unrealistic or indecisive.

If your club is spending that sort of money, you can get what you want as a manager, you can specify requirements and resolve at the time. There was a decent team there, but there is not a player now who played for Koeman, who doesn't have crisis of confidence and form. People are human and it's going to take time to build them back up and undo the curse. Fans love managers who come out and tear into the players, let them know what's expected, waterboarding is too good for them. But when it ends up being the entire squad, you're no longer uniting by division, you're just dividing everyone against everyone else.

It's always much easier to bring players down to earth and than build them up. Subsequently you get a quicker turnaround when you just need some structure, discipline and focus, rather than heart and belief. But the new players need some support, regardless what the manager gives them, it's going to be a gradual process. Players will settle and adapt, and I think once we score a couple and win a game, the blockage will leak and the fear and anxiety subside and then we'll start playing better and see the best of the players we've got.

First summer we didn't attract any real elite players, but they'd only just walked in to new setup. This summer we had more time to prepare to plan, and got players from the levels we were looking at and spent heavily. Lookman looks like he's maturing into a first team player, DCL could probably do with a holiday and someone else to take the abuse for standing isolated without service. We'll see other talent emerge from Walsh's signings in due course. We have enough quality in the squad to expect things to improve, if we get behind team and manager, it will give time for things to settle and build. Now we are out of europe and cup, I expect to see improving performances in PL. We've played as many games now as most clubs play by christmas in normal year without europe.

November 03, 2017, 09:05:13 AM
Reply #25

BlueMaquis

What on earth is Elstone to do with this? Never understood why people don't like him, when they don't appear to know what he is responsible for. I'm sure there's thousand of people blaming BK for this somehow

My mistake, you're right. Elstone is a saint and BK is a cherub.

November 03, 2017, 09:15:54 AM
Reply #26

Ridge

My mistake, you're right. Elstone is a saint and BK is a cherub.

Of course you have to be at one end of the scale.

November 03, 2017, 02:41:03 PM
Reply #27

Faceatthefence

But you can see why people are unhappy with how the club is at the moment and why people at all levels are being questioned?
Thats because we think were a plush main dealers,but in truth being run like a back street garage.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

November 03, 2017, 02:47:25 PM
Reply #28

Macca77

Of course, mistakes have been made

November 03, 2017, 02:54:57 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

I think he's part of the problem but part of the solution.

He came in and installed a new manager without any due diligence other than he's a footballing legend. A vanity appointment.

He then installed a DoF and with the amount of time he'd been in the door we couldn't have done our homework on conducting a search, compiling a shortlist, carrying out an in depth interview process and clearly defining the role. Another vanity appointment, let's take the guy everyone was holding up as the key behind Leicester's fairytale.

Then he told the media that his manager was a legend and he does what he wants before heading off back to London to work on financing a new stadium. Leaving behind a chairman in ill health and a Chief Exec with a questionable record of success so far.

Is it any wonder things were allowed to develop?

The thing is who tells a guy who pays your wages that he might be wrong?