April 23, 2018, 05:05:23 AM

Author Topic: What to do with our current squad  (Read 6098 times)

April 16, 2018, 12:19:53 AM
Reply #150

Evertonian in NC

Announcers noting "not everything he does is right" but he brings a "dose of positivity" to the side and gives them the spark they lacked in the first half.

Gee, does that sound like it would be useful to anyone else?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 16, 2018, 12:26:46 AM
Reply #151

Juanito

Announcers noting "not everything he does is right" but he brings a "dose of positivity" to the side and gives them the spark they lacked in the first half.

Gee, does that sound like it would be useful to anyone else?

Iím watching this now and see he offers a lot more defensively, or perhaps could be moulded to do so a lot more easily than Bolasie can. Gonna do him the world of good training with players like Werner and Keita, even if he doesnít start every week.

April 16, 2018, 02:16:45 PM
Reply #152

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Couldn't disagree more with you in regards to Gana and Sigurdsson @kramer0

If a player like Kante can be a major contributor to two titles then there's no reason to believe that Gana isn't good enough for top 6. I know you have issues with him in an attacking sense and they're valid but a top 6 standard manager wouldn't place that sort of expectation or responsibility on him. Like we see with the role Kante plays at Chelsea.

Sigurdsson has gotten better and better this season and considering he didn't play a pre-season with us then that bodes well for next season. We didn't see it much this season because of how awful we are against the top 6 but he regularly made the difference in those sort of matches at Swansea by coming up with goals in the biggest occasions and we need a player to do that if we are to close the gap. The fact he's a technically talented player as well as a supremely hard-working one makes him a vital asset to a top 6 charge in my opinion.

I also don't see what Walcott has done overall. Fortunately he's managed to keep himself fit so far which was a concern but he's as invisible as Mirallas much of the time.

Terrible take.

Iím a massive Gana fan, and I do think he could play in the top 6 actually, but Kante is twice the player frankly.

Sigurdsson is an individual talent with mercurial ball striking. Thatís fine if you have other good attributes e.g great vision, powerful/explosive running or good 1v1 ability, but he doesnít. Heís also the wrong side of 25 so I likely to ever show anything he hasnít showed so far.

A good tool (and a good player, again, I like him) but for top sides that number 10 or wide forward role is too important to waste on a Sigurdsson.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 17, 2018, 03:43:37 AM
Reply #153

Evertonian in NC

Hey, at least we didn't sign Joe Fucking Hart.  Remember the calls for that?
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

April 17, 2018, 04:16:06 AM
Reply #154

KoemansNumberTens

Hey, at least we didn't sign Joe Fucking Hart.  Remember the calls for that?

At 40m too!! He's genuinely not worth 40k today. They'd give him away to get him off their books

April 17, 2018, 01:35:22 PM
Reply #155

Grand Master C

Not sure I agree. I think the squad is better than you suggest.

Pickford, Coleman and Baines are all secure. I personally would stick with Keane, get him the right partner and just play him week after week to build a proper understanding. I think he's had a rough year, but is a good player and think we will see that in time. Kenny and Holgate are good prospects to develop.

Gana and Tom Davies are secure in the middle, and it would be awesome if we could put a proper playmaker in there next to them. Baningame and Klassen could provide good depth, and I still think we should persist with Klaasen under a proper manager.

In the attacking midfield positions, Gylfi and Walcott are quality, and then we have the chance to develop Vlasic and Lookman (again, hopefully under a better manager who understands their value and potential).

And then Tosun and DCL are good forward options, and we need another genuine first team quality striker to add to that.

I think there's absolutely loads to work with there. And if you signed the right 3/4 players in the obvious positions we need, you'd have a pretty strong squad to build with that could certainly push Arsenal for 6th.

I am not sure if this post makes me more optimistic for the future or depressed for the balls up that has been this season  ??? ???

April 17, 2018, 10:39:33 PM
Reply #156

D15TIN

Not sure I agree. I think the squad is better than you suggest.

Pickford, Coleman and Baines are all secure. I personally would stick with Keane, get him the right partner and just play him week after week to build a proper understanding. I think he's had a rough year, but is a good player and think we will see that in time. Kenny and Holgate are good prospects to develop.

Gana and Tom Davies are secure in the middle, and it would be awesome if we could put a proper playmaker in there next to them. Baningame and Klassen could provide good depth, and I still think we should persist with Klaasen under a proper manager.

In the attacking midfield positions, Gylfi and Walcott are quality, and then we have the chance to develop Vlasic and Lookman (again, hopefully under a better manager who understands their value and potential).

And then Tosun and DCL are good forward options, and we need another genuine first team quality striker to add to that.

I think there's absolutely loads to work with there. And if you signed the right 3/4 players in the obvious positions we need, you'd have a pretty strong squad to build with that could certainly push Arsenal for 6th.

Think I agree with most of that, we do need a young, hungry manager, whose going to build something over the next few years, let players express themselves, I am actually expecting us back in the Top 7 next season, that says more about the rest of the league than us though.

April 18, 2018, 05:30:03 AM
Reply #157

bogie

get shot of all players over 32 years old and any player without pace

April 18, 2018, 11:30:56 PM
Reply #158

D_murph0278

Easier said than done but the following need to be shown the door......

Stekelenburg, Martina, Williams, Scheiderlin, Rooney imo, Mirallas, maybe Bolasie, maybe even Klassen.....
"One for Lineker to chase and just look at his pace."

April 18, 2018, 11:41:58 PM
Reply #159

gizzblue

Easier said than done but the following need to be shown the door......

Stekelenburg, Martina, Williams, Scheiderlin, Rooney imo, Mirallas, maybe Bolasie, maybe even Klassen.....

Exactly these players(aside Klassen not given enough time to tell) all nowhere near the level we need to strive to be at ,although Besic, McCarthy, Browning all could go too.

April 19, 2018, 07:23:47 AM
Reply #160

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Perfect world for me would be :

Pickford
Other

Coleman Keane* Other Baines
Other     Jags      Other  Other

Gana Other Other
Davies Other Other

Walcott   Tosun*   Gylfi
Other      Other     Other

* maybes, like 60/40 sure they will be first teamers.

Some of the above it would be great to get a few younger, better upgrades e.g Baines, Gylfi, Tosun perhaps, but it feels a bit daft to suggest that when we have basically a black hole weíre a top 6 midfield should be and no proven game changer in the squad.

Hopefully some from :

DCL
Holgate
Henry
Lookman

Step up and take some of those Other spots.

What happens to the rest I donít really mind. Would be an egregious error if Williams for example continued to get minutes next year, but if the likes of Bolasie, FM, Niasse, got a few minutes without taking from good players or young players then sound. Equally if they are sold to the lowest bidder Iím not really arsed.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

April 20, 2018, 10:27:33 PM
Reply #161

Toddacelli

What I can't deal with right now is being linked with every player under the sun - when clearly, nothing is in the works because the current management team have got one foot out of the door and the new management team haven't even been chosen yet (probably haven't even been approached yet).

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

April 20, 2018, 10:43:09 PM
Reply #162

GrantyBoy78

Weíre in an awkward position whereby weíre desperate for stability and to reduce the turnover of the squad...but we need to bring in lots of quality and to get rid of a shed load of dross.

It could take a fair few transfer windows to unpick this ball of string.

April 20, 2018, 10:56:58 PM
Reply #163

kramer0

Weíre in an awkward position whereby weíre desperate for stability and to reduce the turnover of the squad...but we need to bring in lots of quality and to get rid of a shed load of dross.

It could take a fair few transfer windows to unpick this ball of string.

One of the reasons why we should have been investing serious minutes in our "good enough to be on the pitch" young players -- Calvert-Lewin, Davies, Holgate, Vlasic* -- the moment our games became meaningless. Those players are young enough to make significant improvements and if you can build a solid base with some (or all) of them, it gives you a stable platform to swap out not-good-enough older players in other positions.

But it's Allardyce who gets the stick if he does that, so...

* They're not really "young" but Klaassen and Keane (who's mostly been playing, to be fair) should probably be included here too. I'm leaving Pickford out of it because he's clearly our #1 keeper and it's a non-issue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:58:20 PM by kramer0 »