November 23, 2017, 07:19:30 PM

Author Topic: Niasse  (Read 12120 times)

74Blue, ally2, Silas, sam of the south and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

November 07, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
Reply #165

mikey_blue

It's to do with looking in the mouth of a horse to determine its age by its teeth, as they change as it gets older. It was considered rude to do it if you have been given a horse as a gift.

Love stuff like this.

deCoubertin

November 07, 2017, 09:19:32 PM
Reply #166

BlueMaquis

It's to do with looking in the mouth of a horse to determine its age by its teeth, as they change as it gets older. It was considered rude to do it if you have been given a horse as a gift.

Then shouldn't it be "never look in a gift horse's mouth"? Stupid expression anyway.

November 07, 2017, 09:56:26 PM
Reply #167

kramer0

Data time! Small sample size alert but, hey, pretty good.

https://twitter.com/deepxg/status/927823972493905920

November 07, 2017, 10:12:37 PM
Reply #168

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Then shouldn't it be "never look in a gift horse's mouth"? Stupid expression anyway.

Don't ask me man, I only work here
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

November 07, 2017, 10:17:23 PM
Reply #169

Major Clanger

Can you look me in the eye while repeating this? :)
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

November 07, 2017, 10:19:52 PM
Reply #170

eyesalwaysblue

Don't ask me man, I only work here
Don't shoot a messenger horse
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 07, 2017, 10:34:54 PM
Reply #171

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
He's this years Valencia but he's scoring a few goals to boot. Be massively surprised if he has longevity here but it's still a fairytale for him

Already has more goals this season for us than Valencia got last season
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

November 07, 2017, 11:16:45 PM
Reply #172

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know how anyone can dislike him. His attitude is one that needs to rub off onto others.

He gets fired up without being ill-disciplined, which Rooney and Schneiderlin could learn from. He also does have a semi-decent first touch, pace and a good finish.

All in all, he is a very good option from the bench at the very least, and not a bad option from the start, especially with the way things are.

Well i mean the problem is that at some point we’re going to (hopefully) want to take more control of a game, and his erratic control and generally poor technique becomes harmful rather than endearing.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 07, 2017, 11:33:06 PM
Reply #173

eyesalwaysblue

Love stuff like this.
Me old Nan from Bootle used to say to me Grandad " Don't just stand there like cheese at 4pence" took me years to even think about what she meant.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

November 07, 2017, 11:34:28 PM
Reply #174

Gary1878

Well i mean the problem is that at some point we’re going to (hopefully) want to take more control of a game, and his erratic control and generally poor technique becomes harmful rather than endearing.

Oh i agree. He isn't suited for a dominant football team. It's sad but i can't see us getting to this stage anytime soon though.

November 08, 2017, 01:26:26 AM
Reply #175

kiwiblue65

Didn't see anything today that suggested he was garbage.

Held up the ball well, run the channels, drew fouls, kicked their keeper in the head, scored a goal and led from the front.
Yip agree he not as bad technically as some seem to want make out.

November 08, 2017, 08:25:24 PM
Reply #176

SANA_DR0

Oumar Niasse might not be Everton's answer - but striker deserves more than cult hero cliché

If ever a goal typified a player, it was Oumar Niasse’s effort against Watford.

It was a goal that was defined by its perseverence, its desire, its unlikelihood. Those are three words very much associated with the Senegalese forward.

His story at Everton is well-known and often told; so cliché, it would be rejected as a script for being too unrealistic.

Perhaps it is time to rewrite the narrative.

Niasse’s best qualities, undoubtedly, come from the emotion he elicits when watching him. He will never win personal awards, nor will he often appear on an end-of-season highlight reel, but he makes the crowd feel.

The Gwladys Street, where he has scored all five of his goals in blue so far, fizzes when he is near the ball; not because of what he can do, but what he intends to do. Sometimes – especially during moments like these recent ones – that is all can be asked for.

In times of strife, cult heroes emerge, and Niasse has solidified his status as one.

But he might be proving himself to be more than just that.

Consider this: his goal against the Hornets was his fifth of the season, in just eight appearances, his 15th in his Everton career so far.

That is an average of one goal every three games, and his ratio is even more impressive when accounting for the minutes he’s actually played. When wearing blue this season – for both the senior side, and the Under-23s, with whom he scored three goals – he finds the back of the net every 63 minutes.

Compare that to other strikers of Niasse’s ilk; figures either popular, or those who struggled to justify their status and fee.

Denis Stracqualursi, the beanpole Argentine, scored three in 28; Apostolos Vellios also notched three, but did so in 25.

The more established stars, Arouna Kone and Daniel Amokachi, bagged 10 and 14 respectively; but the Ivorian made 62 appearances for the Blues, with terrace hero Amokachi making 54.

The memories of Niasse’s ill-fated first year at Goodison still linger; it seemed destined Niasse would leave as the butt of all jokes; snapshots of of his miskicks and miscontrol playing on a Twitter loop for your viewing displeasure.

Who’s laughing now?

Since moving to Hull on loan last season, he has scored nine goals in 27 appearances, highlighting how this is not simply a hot streak, a bizarre but welcome distraction to Everton’s problems elsewhere.

Despite the song from the famous old stadium, Niasse might not be the answer. Certainly not in the long-term.

But he’s serving as more than just a cult hero right now. His record suggests he knows where the net is too – even if it results in him falling into it along with the ball.

After being told for so long he wanted needed by Everton, Everton might need him for a little while longer ahead of a gruelling few months.

some videos on the site to do with Niasse, but the Echo site fucking sucks.

link to original article. http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oumar-niasse-might-not-evertons-13872321
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

November 08, 2017, 09:33:53 PM
Reply #177

Ridge

Since his arrival, he's played less than 450 mins for our first team.

November 08, 2017, 10:04:10 PM
Reply #178

Rodenplav64

stuart barlow was a tad shitter than niasse if my memory serves me right

Haha Barlow . Remember going to Ipswich ( when we were on the verge of relegation ) away and him getting sent off ( ? ) after missing a sitter . Everton fan screaming at him "If we get beat your fucking dead " .

November 08, 2017, 10:13:38 PM
Reply #179

BlueForYou

Barn door Barlow, the Butcher's boy
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick